Making WC DVD-case covers (1. try)

okay, here's a better example of the metallic technique.
http://members.optushome.com.au/colinfowler/upload/Octane1.jpg
All I've really done is firstly filled with a gradient (greyscale), then beveled that keeping in mind to be subtle. After that just used the curves effect. I've attached a picture of how the curve looks.

Attachments

• curves.jpg
    curves.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 225
Thx Filler, I'll try out that (if not for my Covers then for some other stuff I always wanted to do ;) )

I'm finally back online 100%, so here are my latest DVD-cover works. - The white lines over the Armada text are already fixed, but was too lazy to upload it again ^^
But cause the pics are quite big (~400-500kb each) I'll just post the links. If they don't work, my Account limit might be reached. :(
Wing Commander I & II CD
Privateer with side text
Wing Commander Armada

Feel free to post your comments / tips what to improve etc ;)

I like all three, but might I suggest changing a pic or two on the back of the WC1/2 box to be from WC2? Perhaps the bottom two.

I like all three, but might I suggest changing a pic or two on the back of the WC1/2 box to be from WC2? Perhaps the bottom two.
Yes, you may suggest that ;) Was wondering myself, why the original box didn't show a pic from WC2 :confused:
Btw, do you think I should try to change the side text to: Wing Commander I & II or similar? But can't tell whether it will look that well. So I guess I'll first change two pics to wc2, like you suggested and simply try out how it looks :)
I noticed I forgot to mention one game I want to make a DVD-Cober for: Super Wing Commander for 3DO. Already found a nice pic for the front, so be prepared to see some more cover-betas this week ;)

Was just about to create a thread about DVD cover art, and noticed that there's already one!

I've been working on a similar project, but so far have only been able to come up with a DVD cover for WCII Deluxe based on the original cover art for it. When printed it comes out slightly darker than the original art, but I'm happy. Comments welcome, and a high-res 300dpi version is available upon request! :)

Wing Commander II Deluxe - DVD Sized Cover Art

PS: I love the Armada cover :)

All these covers look Great. Congratz to all of you.

My only comments:
1)The WCII deluxe looks good but the color still looks a little washed out
2) The spine of the Privateer cover: I would suggest rotating 180 so that it matches the directions of all the other cases.

I’m sure we’ll all print these when you’re done, at some point. I know I’ll want to. I have access to a color laser at work and I’m planning on getting the Label Maker form verbatim soon. Let LOAF know then there done so that he can post them and we can all have fun printing are hearts and using up all the color in our printers. HeHe!

I do have the thin “Classic” boxes for Deluxe, Armada, and Privateer if anybody wants me to scan them front, back, sides what ever. Let me know.

I also have most of the original boxes too. Accept WCIII I bought the Premium edition instead.

Sorry, that I haven't posted here for a while, but honestly I didn't have that much time to work on other dvd-covers.
@StewMc: Your Prophecy Covers looks great :) May I have the 300dpi version? Cause I don't have my Prophecy Boxes anymore and so can't make my own :( My e-mail is: THE_WUQKED@web.de. - Only too abd, it's the English Version, cause I have got the German one. But way better than what I would have been able to do ;)
Btw German Version: When I'll do the WCIII and WCIV Covers they will be all in German only (unlike those I already made, the Kilrathi Saga Cover and 3do Super WC Cover which are either mulit lingual or English only
To the WCII Deluxe version:the last one looks a bit to bright and a little bit too redish. - the first one looks better, but just too redish/high contrast.

To the Privateer Cover: I've already turned it around after making the other covers. After printing I noticed that all my DVD-Covers were in the other direction ^^ - Haven't uploaded it yet, though.

I hope I'll have more time in the next few weeks so I can do the other covers, like I already promised.

I'd like both Prophecy DVD covers if you don' mind. If you're done with it that is.

Thanks

robmckay@tampabay.rr.com

The_Wuqked If you've finisned any of your covers I'd like them too. Thanks

You guys are doing a great job! They look great!

Thanks for the comments guys! :) And very big thanks to Hades for posting my covers on the front page of the CIC!!

I'll get those cover requests sent out tonight, once I've put the final touches to them. Also expect a sorted WCII cover once I figure out how to get that colour balance just right. ;)

Oh, and I've got a WC4 Double-disc DVD cover almost done too, in English, so with The_Wukqked's German cover we'll have at least two languages covered. (no pun intended!)

Okay, here's the third WC2 cover, still don't think it's quite right, the blue and logo still look a bit faded. Have a look here.

I've decided just to upload the high-res Prophecy covers, you can get both the Single Spine Version and the Triple Spine Version, but bewarned they are both around 3.5mb, so you might be best right clicking and saving them.

Finally, here's an early version of the WC4 cover, designed for the Double-sided DVD version.

Thank You! Thank you! Thank You!
Looking good.

WCIV: oooooww. The European version. I always liked that box better. It seems more fitting. I can’t read the text on the back though maybe that will be different when it’s printed out who knows. And the pictures on the back are a bit dark and hard to see. Other wise it’s looking good the front and spine look great. One of these day I’m going to have to find that box and buy it. Keep it up looking good.

WCII is looking better. I can read the text here just fine and it doesn’t seem washed out any more Good job. You’re right though it does seem a bit bright. Other then that I think that it looks good.

Yeah the final image will be bigger so the text will be readable. I'll probably make the text bigger anyway, the back cover's a bit of a pain since it's original dimensions don't fit the DVD cover, so it has to be messed about with (anyone with the original box might notice that I've moved the logo and the Blair/Tolywn/Seether(who you can't actually see on my pic, lol) picture up a bit on the back, and the logo up a bit on the front. All the brightness issues will be fixed for the final version. That always seems to be my worst problem, hehe.

I've also put a bit of continuity between the covers, so when you put them side by side you'll find that all the 'Wing Commander' logos on the spine line up with each other (although obviously Prophecy has a different font) :)

As for the type of cover, yeah, I'm UK based, so it's the Euro cover I've got. Since I don't have the US cover, I'll make a version of this cover without the BBFC logos.

Thanks for the feedback, and stay tuned. ;)

Continuity is good. And Prophecy was a change from the original series so that's fine too. And it will still look good as long as they line up. Now if we can convince the others to do the same on the spine of thiers covers things would be wonderful.

If you want a copy of one of the US covers let me know I have most of them.

The WCII one looks better now, imo. Still a bit too redish but not as much as before.

To the WCIV Cover: what I'd like to do / have are two different layouts: the red one for the DVD-version, and the black one (which you already made) for the 6 CD version.

@Shades2585: Do you have the red box WCIV version? If so, can you scan it in in, let's say 600dpi (or 300dpi, if it's too much for your connection), cause as I said I'd like to make a redish package as well as the black one (I'll redo the black one in German, not that I do not like yours, StewMc ;) - it looks good. And if you change your printer settigns the grey part will look black again. Btw, I've got the same problem with my WCIV box :( )

I'll try to make my Wing Commander logos line up with yours, when I've got some more time. - Except for Privateer that is. The fonts are too different.

P.S.: Hopefully I'll be able to make the Kilrathi Saga Cover this week or the next week.

Back