Making WC DVD-case covers (1. try)

I've finally finished my Wing Commander I & II Combo Cover
But I won't be able to upload it at the moment. Maybe next weekend, but I can't tell for sure.

To the Wing Commander Privateer Covers: I didn't have enough time to start to make the Privateer Cover yet. - I could email you the files in 1MB compression, but honestly, I doubt they'll look that good. In other words: It won't "resembles the original box as much as possible."
AND I'm going to make the Privateer Cover anyway ;) - But Priv II on the other hand... I even don't own that one. :/

I'm back guys. Things are looking good. I downloaded the covers too.
WOW!
Keep it up.
How are things coming along? How a about doing a Secret Ops Cover? and CD label? I can make a scan of the Secret Ops sleve that came with the PC Gamer Demo as a place to start and I have an idea for the label if anyone wants to work on it.

I'm currently working on a WC1 cover (with scans courtesy of Ed), a very early version can be viewed here. Will hopefully be finished in a few more days.

I'd be interested in seeing the Secret Ops sleeve you are talking about Shades, to see if a full cover can be made out of it.

Oh, and just for fun, here's what it your shelf might look like with the covers so far :)

Spine Mockup

Doing that has given me an idea to do some sort of 'Legacy' DVD covers, where they all have a similar design, with the original cover art centered in the middle on the front (similar to some budget game releases), perhaps with some sort of logo spread across the spines of the cases. Perhaps the Confed Star? Just an idea, perhaps when all the covers are finished. :)

The spines are lineing up nicely. Nice and clean. Keep it up :cool:

I'll see if I can do a low level scan of the sleeve and post it tonight.
I'm trying to recreat it in html right now. I'm pretty close too. :D

I like the confed star idea on the spine. I think that would look smooth but you're sort of doing that already with the Origin logo. You don't want to make it too crowded.

How can I past a picture into this? :confused:

You'll have to upload it onto webspace first I think.

Alternatively, send it over to me at lechuck47<at>btinternet.com (replacing <at> with @) :)

StewMc, I like your idea about the lining up the cover sides, and I'd do that myself as well, but I've got some problems:
1. The Standard Font-size you use is a bit small for my covers, imo
2. (cause of 1 as well) in order to have the whole text fitting on the side for every cover, I'd have to start a bit higher than you.
3. on the other side, I can't bigger the "Wing Commander" in Armada anymore :( - otherwise it won't fit
4. My WC IV Cover is totally out of order and imo there is no way to make it fit + look good (orange text over Red and black looks strange, imo)
Well, that's it. Anyway, I don't know / own any games that line up in such a way (except Warcraft III + Addon, but they have got a very similar main design as well) - Bf1942, e.g. even has got the biggest changes in side desing, although it would be easy to make it fit. And then again, it doesn't look that much better than my current DVD-cases side by side... - But that's maybe only me.

Shades: Webspace is a general term applied to storage space on the internet, such as www.geocities.com (one of the worst, but the only one that comes to mind at the moment)

Lol, so in other words Wuqked, you don't actually like the idea at all! :) I've liked the way they line up so far, so I'm sticking to it. But that doesn't mean that if they don't line up it looks rubbish. On the contrary, it looks just as good, it's just a different way of doing it. And it's better that our covers are different, more variety to the public!

PS: Your right, most games don't line up with each other, apart from maybe budget ranges (such as 'Sold Out' in the UK). I was inspired by some actual DVDs that use a lined up design (such as 'The Office' and 'Red Dwarf')

So what do you think of the SO sleve? Think you might be able to do something with it?

I'll send a better scan if you can

Lol, so in other words Wuqked, you don't actually like the idea at all!
No, that is too hard. I said: imo it doesn't look better. - it looks as good as. In fact, I was thinking about doing the same at first, but cause of the reasons I mentioned above I can't. :( - MINE would look quite bad then (except one or two)
The only thing I do not like that much about the current line up is, that the font size is a bit too small. But that is cause all my other games have got bigger fonts, and so that depends on your game collection as well ;)
EDIT: Oh, I just reread my post: I wrote: It doesn't look that much better. - So your conclusion is quite hard :( - Or I might even say you totally turned its meaning. But maybe that's cause of my English not being the best. So once again in a (hopefully) simpler sentence:
I really like the idea of lining up, and although I would like to make mine fit as well, there is no way, I see, to do so without loosing quality of some of my covers :(
Argh, that sentence still sounds stupid, but hopefully now you know what I meant ;)

Hehe I was only joking, hence the smilie after 'you don't actually like the idea at all' ;).

I didn't think it made the covers any 'better' either (and I don't think I said they did, will have to check), it was just a 'feature' I added while making the WC4 cover after making the WC2 cover.

If I had the time (and could be bothered) there are loads of things I would change, muck about with WC2 colours some more, move all the spine logos up a bit, make them 'slightly' bigger, though I did think the logos were an okay size, they are roughly the same size as the font EA uses on most of it's spines these days. But again, it's just one of those things, I have covers with absolutely massive spine logos, and others with tiny writing that you have to squint to see, just depends on the game company and whatever graphic artist designed the cover.

But to summarise that so I make myself clear as well, I think your covers work brilliantly the way they are, and if I were you I wouldn't change the spines to match even if you could! :D

And Shades, going to have a proper look at the cover now, will get back to you.

Then I guess I got you wrong ;)
Anyway, I got an idea for the Wing Commander Secret Ops Front: I've got still lying arround (somewhere) my Wing Commander CD-case Front Cover that came with the gamestar. No idea what it looks like, cause I haven't used it in years (copied the files to my HDD). But I'll check that this weekend
To your PC Gamer image, Shades: Hmm, no idea how much of that one could be used for the cover. But hopefully I can tell it better, when I checked the WC SO cd cover I've got (only front, no back, btw)

I just got back home yesterday evening. I'll scan it in as soon as I'm back at university (no scanner here). And things aren't coming along that much, cause I'm writing / learning for exams at the moment :(
EDIT: I've just checked the cover I was talking about. My memory was totally wrong :( I thought the front pic was way bigger, but it's only 4x4cm or so :( So no need to scan it in. Hmm. Maybe I can think of something else. (nothing against the pc gamer thingy, but that wouldn't cover the whole case anyway ;) )

It looks like for the SO covers some imagination is going to have to be used!

I've got two versions of a SO Logo lying about:

secretops2.gif

This one from the late official site, and

secretops1.gif

This one from the game's installer.

Not sure which one would suit a cover best, I prefer the second one for some reason: the first one is more clear, but the gradient effect on 'Secret Ops' suits a PC screen better than a printed cover IMO. Neither of them are obviously big enough for a 300 or 600dpi cover anyway, they would have to be rebuilt from scratch.

I have both of those too. The html version I’m working on is using the second one. I might chance it to the first though. Not sure yet. The idea is to do it in html and make it big screen capture it and shrink it down to the cover size. Not sure if it will work though.

I am defiantly planning on using the second logo as part of the CD label though, probably with a picture of the Cerberus on to match with the theme of the Prophecy disks.

Back