Let's replay WC....as a community!

yes, it s about time, january 10. And show me the way you want to make the replay now

yes, it s about time, january 10. And show me the way you want to make the replay now

I'm going to start it on the 27th.

There is no set way how to post to the replay. You have a good start for mission debriefings. I think he was expecting massive posts about every detail (which is of course encouraged but not required). The whole point really is to have a group experience replaying the games. Share what caught your eye, what shocked you, what was tough, what seemed to easy, etc.

There is going to be no set way to post. Everyone is encouraged to post what they think. If you just want to do a mission debriefing type (like your post) that's fine by me. I'm not looking for dissertations, just a fun dialog between all of us playing the games again.

This sound like a great idea, but what kind of "reports" should be posted? one thing is sure they should be colorful and not dull; maybe in a short story telling style or with picture or fan art/pic/maps to describe how you accomplished your mission...

Everyone can do whatever they want. That sounds like a great idea and I'd be interested to see what you can create.

Dear family,

Today is my first day at the “Tigers Claw”, which is one of the finest ships of the confederation, it is so clean and the barracks look almost likes a ten stars hotel – it is just so clean and neat.
At the restaurant which is close by the splendid living quarters I met a nice Belgian/French girl, and an older Scottish person, which was quite polite.

Anyway, it was soon time for my first briefing, and believe it or not: the commander chose me, personally, to be WING COMMANDER of a WHOLE WING! Do you realize how many fighters it is in a wing? Of course you don’t! Anyway can you believe it: me being a grand space marshal?

At the first mission I and my personally wingwoman, “Spirit”, met three vicious furballs, I locked on at one of them and fired, but he evaded me, but I turned around and fried him with my lasers. Then I flew face to face towards the next furball and opened fired, so did he but then I had all ready rolled over and evaded his shots, and BOOM - - - He was fried too.
The last one tried to run, therefore I fired to DF missiles after him, but it was not good for anything, so I hit the afterburner and opened fire and destroyed his ship as the engine overheated and the fuel tank blew up in a mighty explosion: BOOM!!!

Then we entered a asteroid belt, and my front armor got scraped away with one of those rocks… But at least some thing good was in sight, because on the other side of the astro.belt there was a real challenge I store for us… One of the most feared fighters of the Kilrathi Empire - - - it was two SALTHI fighters!!! I and Spirit broke the wing up and began to fight them. The Salthi fired but I dodge its turrets and turned around, hit the afterburner and cannon, and then ripped the Salthi ship in to small pieces as I let the “laser” went from the aft to the fore of the ship… Then I helped Spirit, and we left debris behind us, debris made of honor…

Just because I am a excellent pilot I got a medal: The golden sun! A medal nobody have archived at a routine mission before, ever!!!

Your son who soon will get a promotion,
Fenris Ulven

Nice, Fenris.

I'd love to do something like this, but my PSP just broke (only platform I had the original WC on) and I never owned a copy of WC 2. But when you get to WC3 I'll be happy to hop in... and then fall back out at WC 4 since, again, I never owned a copy. But I'll get back with you on Prophecy, since my Gold Edition just arrived a couple of days ago.

Some people have talked about whether Standoff should be included in a replay. I think it should be involved. One idea I had for this was for Standoff to be an "extra" game for people to play through as others are playing games they don't have. For instance, people who don't have WC1 can play Standoff and then join up when the group gets to WC2.. I don't have the second additional WC1 game or WC2 (SM2 I think.. I get the WC1 and WC2 extras confused), so I'd play Standoff with the other people who don't have those games and could compare notes with the people who played through before.

On the downside it could discourage buying games you don't have, but on the upside it could help keep people involved when the group hits a game they don't have. Also on the downside it wouldn't be chronological. I'd also go for including it in the replay, but it will be a long series already even without it. I'd rather have either one of those scenarios than not at all. I think Standoff ranks right up there in polished quality, canonical coherence, and entertainment value with any of the WC games.

If we were to replay the games in order and included standoff , it would fall right between wc II and wc III , and Unknown Enemy happens essentially at the same time as Prophecy? or is it after Prophecy?

As I've stated before, I will be going through the main games first. Standoff, UE, Saga, etc can be added on afterwards.

Also, everyone get your games ready. 10 days from today this will start so get everything installed and ready.

That isn't what "canonical" means.
www.Dictionary.com said:
ca·non·i·cal /kəˈnɒnɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-non-i-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective Also, ca·non·ic. 1. pertaining to, established by, or conforming to a canon or canons.
2. included in the canon of the Bible.
3. authorized; recognized; accepted: canonical works.
4. Mathematics. (of an equation, coordinate, etc.) in simplest or standard form.
5. following the pattern of a musical canon.
6. Linguistics. (of a form or pattern) characteristic, general or basic: the canonical form of the past tense; a canonical syllable pattern.
The sentence in question was "I think Standoff ranks right up there in polished quality, canonical coherence, and entertainment value with any of the WC games."
To say that Wing Commander Standoff has canonical coherence seems appropriate given this dictionary definition. Particularly, it applies to the 3rd point. It might also be argued to apply to the 1st as well... a humorous application for the validity of that phrase would be to apply it to the 5th point since Standoff uses music from the earlier games.

To be fair point 2 is by no means what canonical means given that sentence, and to apply 4 and 6 would be a laughable stretch (although amusingly, those points also apply).

I felt bad about using such big words, but it was the first thing that popped into my head and conveyed what I wanted. It seemed the most efficient way to convey my thought at the time. I couldn't come up with anything more appropriate: "ranks right up there in polished quality, honorable application of accepted Wing Commander things...." "polished quality, homage to the books, games, and movie,...." I felt that "canonical coherence" was more concise and accurately portrayed what I was trying to communicate.

As I've stated before, I will be going through the main games first. Standoff, UE, Saga, etc can be added on afterwards.

Also, everyone get your games ready. 10 days from today this will start so get everything installed and ready.
Sounds good boss. Thanks again Dundradal for taking this on and if you need some help just let me know.

Well, your original post might have been a bit confusing for him... It did mean to imply that the official WC games *are* the canon, and that comparing Standoff to them in that respect is therefore usless, right? Admittedly I do think "plot coherence" is a bit closer to what he meant to say... (Presumably he thought Standoff's plot to be as good as the official WCs' plots, and he also thought Standoff's plot fitted nicely with the canon.)

Personally I think the whole thing may just be a huge misunderstanding. :D

Ugh, why is everybody being a jackass to LOAF this week? You know the drill.

You must not have looked at your calendar... it is be a jackass to LOAF week. :D

I good not playing standoff and UE in the community replay I was just trying to figure out the time line in my head.

Personally I think the whole thing may just be a huge misunderstanding. :D
I sort of agree, you kind jumped the Banhammer on the Major.
Anyway as to the main topic here, i'm trying to get my PSP fixed so that I'll be able to play. If not I'll just join at WC3.

Fortunately, the administrative staff doesn't need its actions okayed by regular users.

Including my saying to end that particular subthread now. Stick to the main topic (playing through the WC series as a community) and don't stupid up the thread.

I sort of agree, you kind jumped the Banhammer on the Major.

It was just a temporary ban. I say was because he's now decided salvation will come from sending me enjoyably crazy e-mails about how I should respect him because of his IQ (138!) and his high net worth. I'm not making that up. He apparently actually believe's he's some kind of super-special internet genius who's somehow right here.

Well, your original post might have been a bit confusing for him... It did mean to imply that the official WC games *are* the canon, and that comparing Standoff to them in that respect is therefore usless, right? Admittedly I do think "plot coherence" is a bit closer to what he meant to say... (Presumably he thought Standoff's plot to be as good as the official WCs' plots, and he also thought Standoff's plot fitted nicely with the canon.)

Standoff is not part of the Wing Commander canon - it's simply a fan mod which is very well made. This is an issue that's come up several times and should be reinforced... but even more importantly, "canon" isn't a concept that should be latched onto by stupid people. In fact, it's a concept that none of us really have any reason to talk about. For whaever reason, deciding that "boy, howdy, that's a neat word, I'll use it for no reason" is a problem people have with it.

Standoff is not part of the Wing Commander canon - it's simply a fan mod which is very well made. This is an issue that's come up several times and should be reinforced... but even more importantly, "canon" isn't a concept that should be latched onto by stupid people. In fact, it's a concept that none of us really have any reason to talk about. For whaever reason, deciding that "boy, howdy, that's a neat word, I'll use it for no reason" is a problem people have with it.

Yes, of course - I remember you saying that canon = official stuff that's used by EA for their future WC games. What I meant by "fitted nicely with the canon" was that Standoff didn't seem to have any major incoherences regarding said official stuff, unlike, say, Unknown Enemy. ;)

Including my saying to end that particular subthread now. Stick to the main topic (playing through the WC series as a community) and don't stupid up the thread.

Right away, sir! :)

Speaking of which, I personally think it would be fun to include Rise to Honor and SM3 in the replay. I know most people aren't likely to do it, but I'm especially considering replaying RtH, and maybe posting about it while I'm replaying WC1.

Speaking of which, I personally think it would be fun to include Rise to Honor and SM3 in the replay. I know most people aren't likely to do it, but I'm especially considering replaying RtH, and maybe posting about it while I'm replaying WC1.

This is the last time I'm going to say this prior to the start (9 days!). I will be going through the MAIN games. Mods and the like can be decided later on. So please stop asking/mentioning/hinting. It's been noted.

Back