Lance has a Sister!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that Blair's survival was mentioned in a Prophecy chat one night by one of the developers whose last name was Brown. I don't recall his first name.

<<I for one, DO recall that someone like Garriott or someone like that said in an interview that "we might as well say it now that there won't be another game" and said that Blair wasn't dead, but that he didn't want to get into specifics... I don't think I dreamt it, but anything's possible...>>

Originally posted by gryphon
Basically, what I missed in Prophecy was on the one hand, depth of character (although Maniac was masterfully done), as Blair, Hawk, Maestro, Dallas, all attained incredibly and inanely stupid stereotypical roles throughout the game, making responses very predictable and always a drag.
I just finished replaying WCP for the second time and I actually liked Blair's portrayal the most. I thought Hammil did an outstanding job as a man who had seen too much violence, death, yada yada yada. And, while I thought Wilson played the part well, Maniac seemed a bit tired to me. I kept thinking "Will they ever have this guy grow up?". Still, even without FMV choices, and poor AI, I got more into the story than I did with Freespace and I-War (which I still haven't finished).

just because Blair had seen too much violence didn't mean he had to go commit suicide or anything!

(or am I allowed to talk about that?)

Blair IMO felt like too troubled a character, like his soul wasn't in turmoil, but just blank... Like he droned around the Midway in a manner which makes the hairs on the neck bristle in anticipation of danger... he felt too creepy, and after being such a very sympathetic character in WCIV I saw it as too great a change...

Maniac was quite toned down, I think that Maestro took over the role of "face value" clown, and left Maniac the kill gags, but mostly, Maniac was a very well portrayed veteran... He SEEMED experienced somehow... that sort of intuitive persona is very hard to attain... well done Tom.

Tom's a good actor, but Maniac just wasn't Maniac, and Blair just wasn't Blair, and Wilson for some reason was put into Confed and demoted to Captain, which was weird...

(don't get me wrong, WCP was my FAVORITE Wing Commander Game, or maybe WCSO...)

Blair IMO felt like too troubled a character, like his soul wasn't in turmoil, but just blank... Like he droned around the Midway in a manner which makes the hairs on the neck bristle in anticipation of danger... he felt too creepy, and after being such a very sympathetic character in WCIV I saw it as too great a change...
I would have called him more *tired* than anything. And, having played the games from WC1, my only disappointment with Blair was that he wasn't the main character.
Maniac was quite toned down, I think that Maestro took over the role of "face value" clown, and left Maniac the kill gags
Maniac toned down? Oh you must be referring to when he was sleeping during a mission briefing, or picking his nose...;)

MAV: Blair didn't commit suicide - he died in the line of duty. I'm a little curious, WCP is your favorite game but you were disappointed with the main characters? IMO the main characters (Blair, Maniac, Tolwyn, et al) are the reason I liked the games so much more than any other sim I've played.

Wilford was just a forceful reentry of a known character.. Like out of all the people he ever met, Blair picks a BW admiral he's only teleconferenced with over people he knows have more experience... I don't get it, I won't get it.

None of the characters in WCP were themselves, but Maniac was strangely a likely natural evolution of Maniac, whereas the others were just stereotype disorders...

yeah, I guess Maniac's Prophecy charactor made sense.

I said that Blair commited suicide because he had NO intention of coming back from the worm-hole.

Did you not notice the part where he was going back to the shuttle? And the alien warlord that kidnapped him earlier re-appeared?

Or did you just miss that part? Don't feel bad, I'm still looking for the part in SO where the Nephilim are opening more warp gates in Confed territory...people keep assuring me it's there...

hey, I'm just quoting LOAF on that one, I thought the same thing you did, and that Blair was just being really stupid how he was going so slow. Ask LOAF about it...

Well, it sure seemed to me like he was (slowly or carefully whatever you prefer) working his way toward the ship. Unless someone has the script or some other source, I can't see how anyone can say with any certainty that Blair meant to die. I didn't even know that the creature he fought at the end was a warlord.

Voice> That's the guy... In a chat. I read a transcript...
Yeah, yeah, yeah. We all read the transcript. However, it turned out that their transcript is a blatant forgery.

Quarto, my apologies. I didn't know that the transcript in question was a forgery. I am sorry for what I said and regret any hostility it may have caused in You. my intent was never to bog down the CZ with untruths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back