Kilrathi War.

I must agree with EW, we are no less evil than the cats. Our history is full of very attrocious acts. I would like to add a couple extra "incidents" that show that the Kilrathi are just a mirror onto which we can look at our selves. The Serbs killing the Albanians in Kosovo, the Iraqi's killing the kurds by using gas, the Armenian Genocide of 1915 (over 2.1 million killed by turkish military, paramilitary, and civilians), the use of Poison gas throughout WWI, The practical genocide of the American Indians (ex. in haiti within 30 years all 8 million of the indiginous people had died because of spanish murder, rape, and slavery), Dropping of the Nuclear bomb on Nagasaki (after Hiroshima the japanese government was about to open peace negotiatations). Well that is all I can think of for now, i am sure that I will be able to think of more. My point is that in the Kilrathi war both were fighting for survial and both commited hanous acts, more than that humanity was just as evil in it's actions in the past and in the war itself, as anything the kilrathi have done.

BTW: About needing psycological theropy after bombing kilrah, if I was blair I would have/would feel so much guilt that I probably would have committed suicide.

Blair was too much of a survivor to commit suicide. He survived more than 15 years of war, watching friend after friend die, being branded a traitor, and finally almost seeing his home destroyed. He did, however, undoubtably have nightmares about Kilrah until the day he died. (Yes, he's dead, dammit!)

Yes, our history is full of heinous acts. It is also full of those who were willing to give their lives to stop those acts. We are capable of immense acts of destruction, but we are also capable of acts of unselfish love and self-denial. We can level entire countries, but we can also build objects of great beauty. We cannot look at one side without the other. Both are human nature. We can hope and work toward one day purging ourselves of the violent side, although that will not happen for a very, very, very long time. We always have, and we always will. I believe that if you were actually to look at any situation, the good Humans outnumber the bad ones. The bad ones just get more attention, because they are a threat to the good ones. As long as there are those who are willing to help their fellow man, there is some hope for us.

I wouldnt characterize him as a drunk though, he had no problem not drinking as soon as Maniac showed up at the spaceport.

Yeah, I just got to 1/3 of the novel and I was kind of surprised to see that side of Colonel Blair, the "bit-of-a-drinker" side I did not image he could possess...

He, he gets even a bit drunk once, the night just before the first briefing, to the point he needs to borrow some antihangover pills :)

Blair was not perfect, he was human. And the fact that he can have such problems over loss of life, Human as well as Kilrathi, actually makes him somewhat more admirable.

Exactly!!
Besides, if he's not perfect, it makes it easier for us to identify ourselves in him... :)

Unless one reads the books he appears perfect, except for that mission in WC3 when he drinks and then has to fly, when I first flew that mission I was convinced my joystick and or computer had just gotten F*cked up, it wasn't for atleast a week before I releasize why it happend

What's with the cat symps???

What's with all the cat symps around here, anyway? Why is it that these people think humans are no better than Kilrathi?

I can think of the single best reason for fighting the Kilrathi: The continued existence of the human race - not just as an expanding colonial power but as a SPECIES - is at stake. Kill or die, there is very clearly no middle ground.

As Chuck Yeager said, "Even a D-minus history student knew it was better to be the hammer than the nail."

LOL Napoleon!!! :D

I bet you weren't the only one to think that either the joystick or the game had gone bananas :)

ICeburg: You are missing the point, we all fought in the war and most of us if it was real would have regretted having to kill, i might have even ended up like Gwen Boaman. The point is that we are discussing whether or not we are Better than the cats and I contend that we are not, but rather we are just as bad but as a human we must fight for humanity the same way that as kilrathi they must fight for the kilrathi.

In WC4, the cats STILL EXIST. If the Cats had won the war, they would have annihilated humanity as a matter of government policy. Humanity would have been not just beaten by the Kilrathi, but EXTERMINATED by the Kilrathi.

Still sure that humans are no better than the cats?

No, we would became SLAVES to the Kilrathi, not all killed, in fact the Kilrathi never kill a intire race (one comited suicide, but that was the way they were), there is a diference.

I well not beleive that we are as bad as the cats. We regrettted having to kill, but you can be sure that almost all of the cats relished in the killing, it was what they lived for. Humanity had to fight for its survival because if we didnt, the cats would have either wiped everyone out or made the rest into slaves. The Kilrathi had to fight us because if they didnt they would have wiped each other out. Humanity didnt have to fear for its survival from itself. If the Kilrathi hadnt attacked first, there wouldnt have been a war. Sure Confed declared war first but it was only punitive actions in response to the fact that Kilrthi military ships were shooting down EVERY terran ship they encountered, with absolutely no provocation and no discrimination between military targets and transports carrying orphans. The Kilrathi live to kill thats the plan fact. Kilrathi that arent warriors are shamed and looked down upon.

Originally posted by Dragon
No, we would became SLAVES to the Kilrathi, not all killed, in fact the Kilrathi never kill a intire race (one comited suicide, but that was the way they were), there is a diference.

Re-read "Fleet Action." At the end of Fleet Action, when the Kilrathi launch their doomsday offensive at the Earth, they declare this to be a war of total annihilation - every human man, woman and child, whether fighter pilot or military commander or helpless civilian, is to be utterly annihilated and the worlds occupied by humanity are to be seeded with enough strontium-90 and nuclear fallout to make them uninhabitable for millennia to come. The Kilrathi were ready and perfectly willing to annihilate humanity in its entirety.

Sirius, Alpha Centauri and Locanda IV stand as testament to the intentions of the Kilrathi at the end of the Kilrathi War.

"Sir, they'll be naming babies after you on Locanda IV. While you were gone, Intel confirmed that those warheads WERE bio-haz in nature." - Lt. Ted "Radio" Rollins

[Edited by Iceberg on 02-24-2001 at 16:30]

Back