Kilrathi War.

Originally posted by Napoleon
Dude, haven't you read wc4.123106??????

Hey, as a matter of fact I haven't Napoleon, but now that Dragon gave me the link, I think I will (it looks really funny from the Prologue :D)

What chapter are you referring to with your taunt Nap?

Unfortuanatly the people who try to stop evil from happening, tend to do more evil than the people they are stopping. The Czar's of russia weren't exactly good but the comunists did more harm than good in their attempt to get rid of them

That does happen in many circumstances. However, it does not always happen, and I submit that in the case of the Kilrathi War the point is moot. We were in a survival situation. The Cats were in genocide mode, as of the BoT, the Emperor had declared it a battle of annihilation. All the human slaves had been killed. They weren't out to conquer us anymore, they were out to destroy us. What other choice did we have but kill or be killed?

Furthermore, even if it was not a survival situation as such, we have a right to fight back when someone tries to conquer us. That doesn't mean a slap on the wrist. That means you hit the other guy hard, and you keep hitting him until he goes down and stays down. That is the nature of warfare.

Dude, I am not saying we were not right to fight back, what I am saying is that both sides were fighting for their survival and as such we shouldn't consider the cats "evil"

Dude, I am not saying we were not right to fight back, what I am saying is that both sides were fighting for their survival and as such we shouldn't consider the cats "evil"

NAH, I have to totally disagree on this one.

The cats were fighting for universe domination, annhilation of all races, not for "survival"...

Napoleon,

Since when does the annihilation or enslavement of all other intelligent species qualify as "survival?" There is the theory of a "predatory" species, that sees all aliens as threats, and therefore destroys them, but the Cats weren't necessarily following that model, either. They weren't conquering out of fear, but rather, out of a superiority complex.

They were fighting due to genetic Xenophobia and a genetic and sociatal need to fight. Were they not to lash out against others the violence is focused inwards and they destroy themselves. When there is an alien enemy they are willing to band together and not kill each other for a while.

Depending on how you look on it, they do attack for survival.

TC

Wow, I have to admit you have a point TC, but isn't that a way to try justifying "survival" at all costs??

I'm sorry, but despite your point, I can't call it "survival"...

If the only way to survive is through the indiscriminate slaughter of innocents who pose no threat to you, maybe you don't deserve to survive.

mpanty, it isn't so much an interest in psychology, as a long study of warfare.

"psychological warfare" then? ;)

Did you ever read that Asterix book with the whole "psyche warfare" thing? It's called "La Zizanie" in French.

Boy that was funny!!
Whooops, off thread!

So, what do you think of the war huh? LOL

You'll find it very difficult to convince people that their survival is worth less than that of a species they consider to be inferior.

TC

Nah, psych warfare's for the "brainiacs upstairs." I'd rather be a line animal.

As for the war, probably the best summation of the human situation would be toward the end of the WC3 novel, during the bomb run on Kilrah. Blair is thinking things over, and finally decides why he has to drop the T-bomb. We simply didn't have any choice.

Originally posted by TC
You'll find it very difficult to convince people that their survival is worth less than that of a species they consider to be inferior.
TC

Did you ever consider the option of co-existence TC??

Also, If this was for "Survivaal", Why would the Kilrathi offer a Truce, then te enemy accept it, and then they would present no threat to the Kilrathi! But, they attacked them after the truce! That wasn't survival
And fenris, the Banshee WAS around during WCIII, we didn't see it because we didnt see the Border Worlds. And the Banshee does look pretty sexy... and that baby is known to take out Dragons and Vesuvii!

Then they either had to undergo a drastic change in their mindset, or they had to be smashed so thoroughly as to no longer be a threat to their neighbors. As it seems, both happened.

No they didn't. The Kilrathi fell into chaos and clan warfare broke out to a degree. It isn't changing a mindset as it isn't a mindset. For the Kilrathi it's genetic.

TC

Whether or not it is genetic is open to debate; I would tend to say it is more societal. I concede the point about the fuedal wars, however. My point about smacking them down still stands, however.

It is quite genetic. It's their preditory instinct. The Kilrathi have always had to fight to survive.

TC

Back