Kilrathi War Casualties

Yeah, but with how many human Marine corpses at their feet? I didn't mean that it was impossible...I meant that maybe 1-in-100 humans could take a Kilrathi hand-to-hand and win the fight.

I'm sure a few humans could take Kilrathi on. Depending on how smart they are and such. I'd bet an average sized human well trained in martial arts could take on your average Kilrathi grunt. Those claws are probably a bitch though.

Hmmm... if I were setting up gladiatorial games
with Kilrathi and human opponents, I would give
the humans a medium-length spear,
a short stabbing knife and a small
shield. Let the Kilrathi keep their natural
weaponry.

I imagine the fight goes like this:

1. Kilrathi charges human. This is the human's
best chance: A single well-aimed thrust
with the spear will win the fight immediately.

2. If the human misses, he's probably dead --
the Kilrathi are masterful at this range,
and with his claws and teeth will probably
shred the hapless human. HOWEVER, the human
can still win IF he can use the shield
such that
the Kilrathi can't effectively get his claws
on him. I believe (but I'm no hand-to-hand
expert) that the human has a chance IF he
can keep the claws and teeth away from
his neck, abdomen, and chest. Use the
shield to accomplish this, stab repeatedly
with knife. Thus, the human still has a
small chance to win, although he will probably
suffer serious injuries at the least.

Kilrathi Marines Vs. Confed Marines -- literal
hand to hand is a win for the Kilrathi, but
a bayonet outreaches claws. A Confed Marine
can win using a variation of the spear tactic
above -- keep the Kilrathi from getting too
close, stab with the bayonet.

Of course, the
BEST close combat weapon is the hand grenade. Used
in profusion, it will go far to negate Kilrathi
advantages in natural weaponry.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

[Edited by pendell on 05-11-2001 at 18:16]

RFBurns, you really shouldn't read so much Daniken ;). Just about every ancient civilisation had some technology we don't have now (the Zulus with their excellent bronze work come to mind), but there's really no reason to suspect them of alien contacts :). Not that that stuff is entirely impossible, but it just doesn't strike me as particularly likely... as with most conspiracy theories, y'know.

Originally posted by Nep Parth
The Challanger exploded because NASA didn't listen to their damn engineers, and because the media was screaming for a launch. They ignored the signs, they ignored the engineers saying that they had never launched in cold temperatures like those on the day of the launch, and they ignored the black smoke pouring out of the SRB.
The o-ring... curse the people who designed it :-(. All things considered, a nasty piece of luck, which set the space program back quite a bit. I s'pose some sort of disaster had to happen sooner or later, but did it have to happen on the first time they tried launching civvies?

Daniken? Never heard of it! ;) There is simply too much evidence that points to visits from byond. Something took place all those centuries ago. What is most disturbing about it is that there has been and continues to go on today, an effort by not just the US Gov, but others around the world working with the US Gov to hide or discredit the evidence. What for? Why deny what is a part of mankinds history to modern man? Do they really think the general public cant handle it? Back in the 50's after the Roswell thing, maybe it would have been true then, dealing with the threat of nuclear war, it was easy for the population to be afraid of almost anything. But to continue a lie for over 50 years is crazy!

The idea of having the Air Force as a "space defense" force is plain "STUPID". Quote from a former KGB agent> "If these creatures from outer space, are armed with weapons unknown to humans, all these anti-ballistic missiles may be of no use, we do not know what they possess". In other words, our hardware will be useless, that includes the Air Force hardware, Navy, Marines, Army, you name it. If they seriously think their oil based machinery will be able to defend Earth against hardware powered by energies far greater than what oil can do, there isnt any hope! Before any of the branches of military can defend us against an outer world power, they better start working with hydrogen power and start developing shield technology and eliminate the use of rockets. If they (aliens) can get here from another star, that means their technology is so far advanced from ours, they probably will laugh at us, that is if aliens can laugh! Hope we can catch up before anything like an outer world invasion happens! The paintings, carvings and other evidence shure suggests visits did take place long ago, who's to say they wont return? Perhaps they will, just to see how far along we have come since their first visits. I doubt there would be an attack on us in a military sense, but if there are visits, then there is a possibility that some sentient species out there doesnt have "good intentions" in mind when they come knocking at our door.

Id like to see what this proposed "US Space Force" intends to use for hardware. The shuttle? (hahahaha). Rockets to get them into space to fight? (hahahaha). Missiles that wont be able to penetrate their defenses? (hahaha) Sounds like this proposed US Space Force will have to borrow ideas from the collected craft found in Roswell! Perhaps that is what they are attempting to do, copy whatever they can and whatever they can make work from it.

I can see it now...a fleet of Air Force fighters taking on alien craft that can run circles around the whole wing of fighters in one sweep, hover above them, laugh at them, then fire some weird weapon at them and wipe them out with one shot! Quite frankly, I wont feel any safer no matter what the US Gov. says they will do or what new branch of military service they create, until they make craft capable of doing the same things those invading visitors craft can do. Hey, maybe throwing barrels of oil at them will work!

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
Daniken? Never heard of it!
Really? :) Well, he's this... errr... writer. An archaeologist, I think. Anyway, he writes a lot of books about alien visits and the ancient evidence which supposedly supports it all. You should try to find some of his books... I read one, and found it highly entertaining in spite (or perhaps because) of the fact that I don't believe much in this stuff.

There is simply too much evidence that points to visits from byond. Something took place all those centuries ago.
But there isn't a single piece of evidence that can't be explained with a simpler, more probable explanation :).

What is most disturbing about it is that there has been and continues to go on today, an effort by not just the US Gov, but others around the world working with the US Gov to hide or discredit the evidence.
See, and this is where all these conspiracy theories fail - there has never been a single thing on which all governments could agree on. Aliens would certainly not be such a thing either... what possible benefit could any government get from such a cover-up anyway? At any rate, logic dictates that anything that one government wishes to keep a secret, a second government will reveal just to annoy that first government.

The idea of having the Air Force as a "space defense" force is plain "STUPID". Quote from a former KGB agent> "If these creatures from outer space, are armed with weapons unknown to humans, all these anti-ballistic missiles may be of no use, we do not know what they possess".
To my knowledge, defense against little green men from Mars is not one of the purposes of the anti-ballistic missile defence system :). When what's-his-name talks about a Space Defence Force, what is meant is a force that will defend the United States against attacks in space, perpetrated by other countries from Earth.

Its easy for us today to say, "No that didnt happen", and when powerfull higher-ups in any government have a plan to cover something up, it isnt impossible for them to do that, nor is it impossible for them to continue the coverup until those involved are long gone and no harm can come to them. If you tell a big enough lie long enough, people will begin to believe it. The universe is vast, and there are 2 possibilities, either we are the only inhabited planet, or we are not the only inhabited planet, and either one is fantastic. So which one is it? I think as more archeological digs are done, they will find more artifacts that point to this world being visited before.

If the visiting creatures have intent to invade Earth, I dont think that any hardware we currently have would be adequate to repell them if their intent is a military invasion. There is no way in the entire universe we would have a ghost of a chance going up against hardware that uses energies that are far greater than our oil fueled hardware! I still think throwing barrels of oil at them would be better than throwing missiles or fighter airplanes at them!

RFB

Hold it right there...

Well, we've got enough of them to do damage down here, so why can't they do some damage up there. I'd say a good few nukes (H bombs of course) could put a few dents in a few aliens...

And if we don't kill them, if we can't win, we'll just have to act how the Humans did in B5: In the Beginning...We'd just fight and fight, knowing that we cannot win... I guess if aliens wanted to wipe us out, they could, but lets give them a bloody nose first.

For the sake of Humanity...

The Space Force has absolutely nothing to do with defending the US from aliens -- it's to prevent other countries from hitting us with space-based weaponry.

The idea that the government is hiding that aliens are visiting Earth is laughable... because it ignores two of the very basic questions of any argument. Why are aliens visiting Earth? Why can only the government see them? Why is said government *hiding* these aliens? Is there some reason that the government cares that we don't know about aliens? *How* are they hiding them, when they can't even keep important secrets like how to build the atom bomb? And *which* governments are hiding these aliens? Ours is reletively stable... but in other parts of the world, governments change very quickly. Do rebels taking power have a secret agreement with the people they're replacing to KEEP THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF ALIENS? And how did the aliens *get* here? It seems physically improbable. And why are they so isolated that the government is able to hide them? To be able to 'cover up' these supposedly common sightings, the government would have to maintain a force of hundreds of thousands alien-hiding-people all over the world constantly... and all these people are just really really good at keeping secrets? The idea that aliens are so utterly important that a large number of the people in the world came together to hide the fact that they exist from the rest of us *JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE*. If the governments of the world cared about us so very much that they could put this much effort into hiding aliens from us then why can't they put effort into something like keeping people from starving to death? Because it's okay to starve to death as long as you don't know about aliens?

The fact that Egyptians made pictures that could possibly look like aliens isn't much of an argument. When people dig us up and watch Star Trek, will that mean *we* were influenced by aliens?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
...The fact that Egyptians made pictures that could possibly look like aliens isn't much of an argument. When people dig us up and watch Star Trek, will that mean *we* were influenced by aliens?

Well, maybe yes, the same also applies to WC and Mork & Mindy :)
P.S: Nice Hamburguer, i want 1 with big Frennys and TAB.

The universe is vast, and there are 2 possibilities, either we are the only inhabited planet, or we are not the only inhabited planet, and either one is fantastic. So which one is it? I think as more archeological digs are done, they will find more artifacts that point to this world being visited before.RFB

Well, I have other possibilities for you.
1 - Aliens didn't find that there was an interesting planet in the solar system.
2 - It is impossible to travel faster than light, so it is improbable that they will visit us.
3 - Civilizations collapse before having the capabilities to travel between stars (due to nuclear wars or something like that).

If the visiting creatures have intent to invade Earth, I dont think that any hardware we currently have would be adequate to repell them if their intent is a military invasion. There is no way in the entire universe we would have a ghost of a chance going up against hardware that uses energies that are far greater than our oil fueled hardware! I still think throwing barrels of oil at them would be better than throwing missiles or fighter airplanes at them!

I agree with you on that point. H bombs may be powerful (but maybe not enough), the rockets that carry them are pathetics if the aliens attack earth with energy beams able to destroy those rockets 1s after they are launched.
And we will not destroy the mothership with a virus... Or maybe we could sell them some windows ? :D

Originally posted by Sadic

2 - It is impossible to travel faster than light, so it is improbable that they will visit us.

Actually, that's not entirely true anymore. Err...at least sort of. They've recently made light go FASTER. So it's not travelling FTL, BUT they I think they did revaluate their "speed of light". So maybe we wouldn't have to go FTL to get out there, maybe light is just so damn fast that we wouldn't need to go faster than it.

If you want proof of that, check out newspapers or magazines and such from about, oh i'd say it was a little less than a year ago.

Ok, i´m not so older, TAB ceased to exist when i was 5 or 6, but there is 1 Pumper Nic in the *Costanera*

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

So maybe we wouldn't have to go FTL to get out there, maybe light is just so damn fast that we wouldn't need to go faster than it.

Oh yeah we will.

The closest star to us is the faint red dwarf star known as Proxima Centauri, this star is only 4.2 light-years away. A light-year is about 60 million miles. The light we see from this star has traveled for 1500 days. 1500 days is a fricking long time to be sitting in a so-called fast space ship without TV and girlfriends.

Besides, that whole light acceleration thing doesn't affect the fact that you need to be a photon to go that fast.

[Edited by Frosty on 05-13-2001 at 02:35]

After travelling at near the speed of light you'd need to be on a weight loss program soon...

Anyway, why can't we just er...fill up a tank with Spice and put some poor hapless soul in there to be our Guild Navigator...and then we'll all be able to travel across the Imperium....

Sorry...been watching Dune...

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Actually, that's not entirely true anymore.

I was only talking about possibilities in order to explain that there may be a lot of hypothesis explaining the fact that aliens may not have visited Earth.
In fact I don't feel qualified to know if we will travel FTL in a few centuries or even if it is possible... But of course if mankind wants to colonize the Galaxy, it would help a lot, so I hope it is.

Back