I bring good news

Originally posted by KrisV
Originally posted by mpanty
But Kris, you can't ignore these facts: who are the most "playing" community of videogames? Young people!!
Judging by the earnings, In estimate 12 young people went and saw the movie. :)
I think mpanty is trying to say that people that have never heard of WC and saw the movie (and hated it) would probably not buy the game. But those in the gaming community that have played it wouldn't let a bad movie keep them from purchasing a new game.

Tomb Raider will probably put this to the test. If the movie is half as good as the trailer/preview (Jolie looks GREAT!) I'm betting we will see a pumped up demand for TR games new and old.

But you'll always play a demo, or read a review or something, and decide based on that. Whether you've seen and liked the movie doesn't have that big an influence.

I think it would. Look at SW and everything that came after the episode 4. The action figures, the models, some years later, all these games from Lucas that seemed to be localized to the main SW storyline. Just about every SW game that came out followed the movie storyline, and if you think about it, the episode 4 hit the screens back in the late 70's. Today, you find all 3 in some compilation or trilogy set. I think that if young players today did not get into WC when the first game came out, but saw the movie and were turned off by it, that would have some sort of impact on them buying any of the games, new or old. I never seen the WC movie yet, will soon tho after buying the DVD on eBay. But like most vets here, I played the games from day one and know the movie wouldnt have any impact on my decision to buy a new WC game if and when it comes out. Perhaps EA is scared due to the movie results? If they plan to produce a new WC game, they may have to use half their budget to create a promotion program or something to get new players in, as well as maintain the current fanbase with something we have not seen yet in the new game. Hopefully this time, they think ahead and put multi code in it. 99 percent of computer game players out here play for mostly the multi player capabilities. I see Q 1 servers still running and people playing that game!! Had WCP or even WCIII and WCIV had multi code, I would bet the fanbase would be much larger than it is, and EA would have something to put their worries at ease. Single play was ok for the heyday of computer games, but for the last 6 years and here on out, a game might as well be shelved if it doesnt include multi play capabilities.

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 03-28-2001 at 18:41]

Originally posted by KrisV
But you'll always play a demo, or read a review or something, and decide based on that. Whether you've seen and liked the movie doesn't have that big an influence.
That's in a perfect world Kris... :)

Star Wars began with the movies, Wing Commander didn't. Nearly every gamer, young or old, has heard about or even played Wing Commander. When the next game comes out, publications might mention the movie, how it did, and maybe the writer's opinion, but it won't be in a way that someone'll say "Wow, that movie sucked, I don't want this game." even though it gets a 9.5/10. It's just a little thing for most people. A big thing for the fans, who liked it, but not something that has a lot of influence.

Game-wise Academy for instance wasn't all that compared to the main line of games. It's probably something only the real fans really love. If a game didn't affect Wing Commander, the movie won't either. It's a huge game franchise, with a great name and track record.

If by a perfect world you mean that not everyone has his head up his ass as far as Mark Asher does, then I guess this world is perfect.

The movie (SW) did come out way before the games did, so that part sounds logical, but I meant the new players just now getting into games, be it WC or something else. If they saw or read something about the WC movie, be it a good review or bad, wouldnt that have some kind of influence? I mean I agree with what your saying about the fans vs new players 100 percent. To us (fans) we know the score, but to those that dont know or never seen a cat's paw in their life might have reservations maybe?

RFBurns

First of all, I doubt they'll still remember in 2003. Second, not *everyone* hated it. Just those who happen to yell the loudest on bulletin boards and newsgroups. Third, it wasn't even that bad a movie. And fourth, the thing you look at if you want to buy a game you've never heard of are articles on the game in question. When I look into a game I want and know nothing about, I don't look at or care about or look the other stuff...

O.K.
Wing Commander is not a bad movie (Dune springs to my mind in that category but that is another story), but its not a good movie either, its something in the middle.
Now the next WC game will be WC P II or WC VI, that says a lot to people that belived that Wing Commander is a game based on that movie.
If its WC "something" people just have read the back of the box or see a review to see that Wing Commander have been long before the movie was made.

Like I said earlier, lets see what happens with Tomb Raider. Here we've got a successful franchise thats been around for a while. I'll bet that if the movie does well the demand for the game will go up. If the movie does poorly, the demand will probably stay the same as the fans will still want to play the games.

Hmm, that's one game to movie conversion that might actually do well, if only for its sex appeal. :)

When I think about it, Mortal Kombat didn't do badly at the box office either, did it? It even came up with a sequel! Don't ever hear about MK in game-movies-that-sucked articles, hmm?

I know a lot of people that liked Mortal Kombat... :)

Street Fighter, on the other hand... beuark!! :mad:

Hee hee, I'm one of 'em, and surprisingly, so's my dad. (He likes martial arts films). And I didn't even like MK the game that much.

What a real pity is MK, the cartoon. :eek:

MK the TV series are very good, on the other hand... :D

The fighting scenes are amazingly well choregraphed!! :cool:

Um, that's what I was referring to. Of course, I haven't seen that many episodes, but I just felt the animation and voices were tacky.

Weird... I thought you were referring to the success the movie had... :confused:

Anyway, Rayden was impersonated by Jeffrey Meek, that martial arts actor who also starred in Raven (which I happened to like very much, when I was in France... :)).

Okay, now I'm lost. I was just trying to say that the MK movies were pretty good for game conversions. Now, back to WC. :)

Back