Funniest moment

Originally posted by KrisV
I'm sure "Zombie Blair and his Undead Wingmen" would have gotten the same kind of response if an older member had come up with it. Well, maybe not if it had been Ghost or LeHah, but only because everyone would have assumed they were joking.

Well if you guys have seen my latest Ideas and posts there not as crazy and more down to earth. I learn quickly.:D

Originally posted by TC
Wow... you're taking ranks much too seriously.

1. Not being banned doesn't mean someone has respect or they know what they're talking about
  2. Being promoted after the legitimate number of posts isn't a problem... as that's what's supposed to happen
  3. Ranks shouldn't be taken as anything but an indication of the number of posts someone has made....
    [/list=1]

1. "These ranks can be subject to change at any time."

Could you explain this to me please? Reading it I got the idea of things such as demotions and what not, but after what you said above, I'm not sure whether that was what you had in mind with the changing ranks.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
"These ranks can be subject to change at any time."

Could you explain this to me please? Reading it I got the idea of things such as demotions and what not, but after what you said above, I'm not sure whether that was what you had in mind with the changing ranks.

yeah when I read it, it gave me the same feeling. The rules and ranks seem contridictory to what some of the moderators have said in reference to them. :confused:

Also, a couple of notes. Is Swabbie the guy who was banned, or is that what we called someone who's banned. On that note, what have people done in the past that have gotten themselves banned, so I know not to do them. And, I think there's a mistake in the rankings. From my understanding, ranks go from Brigadier General to Major General to Lieutenant General. The ones here are Brigadier, Lieutenant, Major.

Swabbie is the rank (for lack of a better term) given to anyone who's been banned.

In the Wing Commander universe, a Major General is superior to a Lieutenant General. Therefore, the same thing applies here.

Every instance I can think of in which someone was banned had a few key items -
1.) Whatever it was that led to the banning was at least partially them just plain "being stupid".
2.) They were warned by one or more moderators multiple times that they needed to quit doing the bannable offense.
3.) They either persisted in their action, or decided to argue (usually over more than one page's worth of posts) with the moderator about the warning.

There's a list of offenses that can get you in trouble over in the rules section of the site. Avoid these, and you'll usually be alright, although moderators can make exceptions if they feel the situation warrants it (see rule #1). In addition, if a topic drifts into a situation that violates the rules, you probably won't be banned out of hand, but will receive a warning, instead. I got involved in a Freespace vs. Wing Commander debate that arose due to topic drift, and in retrospect was getting out of hand. We received a warning, I and the other principal participant walked away from the discussion, and nothing further came of it. The key things are to 1.) avoid topics that might cross the line (mods might give you room for error if it only happens on rare occasions, but probably not if it happens all the time), and 2.) if a mod tells you to stop, then stop.

There are Fleet Admirals in WC and i think that there is only one Space Marshall (maybe only in War time)

Originally posted by Ghost
There are Fleet Admirals in WC and i think that there is only one Space Marshall (maybe only in War time)

Nope, there can be multiple Space Marshals. They generally would command fleets, although that role can also be taken up by Admirals.

Ah, okay, fair enough considering that an Admiral gets promoted to a Space Force rank. (Space Marshall instead of Fleet Admiral).

Space Marshal's a Navy rank.

"These ranks can be subject to change at any time."

It can be interpreted two, equally correct, ways.

1. we can change your rank whenever we want, which has been done in the past for both punishment and humour.
  2. We can change the ranking system whenever we want, to either require more/less posts to attain a rank, or to add/remove/modifty the existing rank structure. This has been done a couple of times. Once was at a switch between boards (there used to only be three ranks... or somesuch) and one was shortly after that when it was realized that the post counts required for higher ranks were too low.
    [/list=1]

Ah, well that explains a lot. I was going by current ranks, nogt realising that they were diffirent in Wing Commander. Probably explains how one can go from being a Commander in the Navy to a Captain of the Army\Space Force (lower rank) as well.

Ah, well that explains a lot. I was going by current ranks, nogt realising that they were diffirent in Wing Commander. Probably explains how one can go from being a Commander in the Navy to a Captain of the Army\Space Force (lower rank) as well.

One generally doesn't

She disobeyed orders and risked the Confederation to save the Tiger's Claw, though... which is probably grounds for a demotion...

And a big fat wake up call for her to drop the Gunnery Hartman routine as well no doubt, :D considering she is 'much' more approachable and friendly afterwoods, when the games take place.

i think angels situation was more because of the rapier business. the movie rapier (i think it was called the Mk 1) was retired and the Mk 2 (the one you see in the game) was brought in. since angel was the rapier wing commander in the movie, when the Mk 1 was retired, she would have had to step down in position. that could be why she was moved down in rank as well. and anyway, the movie was using all navy ranks. blair was a Lt j.g. (junior grade), which is the navy counterpart to the space force rank of 2nd Lt. and angel was a Lt Commander, which is the counterpart to a major. and in Secret Missions 2, angel was offered the postition of being the TCS Austin's wing commander, which allowed her to regain her former rank of major (assuming that if the movie had used both navy and space force ranks she would have been a major).

That doesn't quite make sense. Rank and position are not equivalent. A change in position does not necessarily yield a change in rank. The most reasonable and logical explanation for her demotion is her failure to follow orders.

Plus having her forced to be the same as the grunts she bullied and picked on (anyone remember "Emotions get in the way."?) is a funnier scenario. :p

Originally posted by Aries
i think angels situation was more because of the rapier business. the movie rapier (i think it was called the Mk 1) was retired and the Mk 2 (the one you see in the game) was brought in. since angel was the rapier wing commander in the movie, when the Mk 1 was retired, she would have had to step down in position.

Except that's not the way it usually works. Assignments are according to which unit you are a part of, not according to which fighter you fly. It just so happens that a particular squadron will generally only fly one model of fighter, but when the fighter is removed from the squadron, the squadron usually isn't dissolved. Rather, a new fighter replaces it. The squadron exists independent of the carrier (although those in power on the carrier can swap people between squadrons, as Halcyon demonstrates quite frequently), and its entirely possible that Confed could order the squadron moved to a different carrier.
Thus, Angel would have been wing commander of a wing that flew the Rapier mk.1, and when the mk.1 was retired, she would have been wing commander of a squadron that flew whatever the replacement was.

Back