Funniest moment

I'll admit that my situation is not the best, but with regards to the demotion issue i just have 1 question. why would they demote her for disobeying orders, because if she hadn't, the Tiger's Claw would have been destroyed. (remember, she said that the only thing that could kill a skipper missile is a starfighter at close range). Personally, if I was the captain I wouldn't make too big a deal of the disobeying orders issue cause she saved the ship, but that's just me. And as for what TC said about risking the confederation, what more could she do? Blair was constantly calculating the jump right up to the moment he jumped, fighters are ineffective against the Snakier, and if the TIger's Claw was destroyed, the Confed fleet probably wouldn't have had enough time to set up the ambush.
Second, yes if your position is taken away, normally you would get another position with respect to your rank. However, sometimes you have to accept a temporary demotion because if you don't, there get to be too many senior officers in that unit (hence Blair's comment in WC4 about Paulson), and when she was offered the position of the Austin's wing commander, that could be where the personel situation was figured out.
Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out a way for the games and movie to coincide without having Angel get demoted. With the exception of Blair, getting demoted usually isn't that good for your career and you dont' get the good assignments, which being wing commander for the Concordia would be one of the good assignments.

Originally posted by Aries
and if the TIger's Claw was destroyed, the Confed fleet probably wouldn't have had enough time to set up the ambush.

I'd love to hear what brought you to that conclusion.

With the exception of Blair, getting demoted usually isn't that good for your career and you dont' get the good assignments, which being wing commander for the Concordia would be one of the good assignments.

Very well. Let's ignore the most plausible and logical reason for her loss of rank and instead try to come up with some other crazy explanation. After all, it's impossible for her to have restored her reputation during the ten years between the movie and Wing Commander II, isn't it? I mean, that's just crazy talk!

Aries Makes a very valid point. Unless the demotion was done by someone who hates you which would make them subseptible of being court marshalled because conduct unbecoming an officer (and conflict of interest) (Which is what happened to my dad in his recent transfer as a person he has a higher rank on (he is a Liutenent Colonel in the US Army) (the person transfering him was a Major who just happened to be in control of his transfer) (the major found out my dad didn't put her in for a medal she thought she deserved and sent him to a place where he lost alot of the power he had rightfully earned. the case is now undergoing an Investigation if you were wondering ) Anyway it would be very hard to gain back a powerful position if you rightfully deserved the demotion. However If it was conflict of interest and angel didn't deserve the demotion she would have a chance at the good position again. damn you posted before I could put my post up Weasel.

You do not disobey orders unless there is a compelling moral reason.
Period.
That's the view that the military takes.

Now if you singlehandedly won the battle because you disobeyed orders, you'll probably be congratulated. But otherwise you follow orders to the T, and only excercise your discretion as your orders permit - and hope your commander has a clearer idea of the big picture than you do.
A demotion is actually a rather mild punishment considering what can sometimes occur when one disobeys orders.

And once again, what would the transfer of a model of fighter have to do with Angel's rank and/or position? It does not matter what kind of fighter the squadron is flying. The squadron personnel remain the same regardless. There is no overabundance of high ranking personnel because the fighter model in a squadron changed.
Let me put it another way.
Lets say, for the sake of argument, that the carrier Lexington has four fighter squadrons, numbered VF1-4.
VF 1 flies Arrows.
VF 2 flies Hellcats.
VF 3 flies Thunderbolts.
VF 4 flies Longbows.
Confed finally gets around to retiring the Hellcat. Is VF 2 dissolved? No. It gets the replacement for the Hellcat, which, for the sake of argument, we'll say is the Tigershark.
So now the fighter squadrons on the Lexington look like this:
VF 1 flies Arrows.
VF 2 flies Tigersharks.
VF 3 flies Thunderbolts.
VF 4 flies Longbows.
The number of personnel on board the Lexington is the same. The people who made up those squadrons remain exactly the same. The replacement of a fighter class DOES NOT change the people who are on board the carrier. It only changes the hardware on the carrier.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
I'd love to hear what brought you to that conclusion.

you shall have it. The Tiger's Claw had to buy the Confed Fleet 2 hours to get to the Sol System. The fleet would have to form up and get into battle formation since they can't jump in formation, so that would take more time. The Claw did delay the cats the 2 hours but if you have to buy someone some time, in this case the more time the better, so the Tiger's Claw fought the destroyer and the... crusier ( i can't remember exactly what kind the big ship was) to create a diversion to allow Blair to get into Sol and inform Tolwyn of the cats jump coordinates. The confed fleet repositioned itself (you can see that during the part where the cats come through the jump point) and that would take more time. If the Tiger's Claw was destroyed, the cats wouldn't had had the delay, they would have been able to go through the jump point earlier, possibly at the moment the confed fleet was still setting up. and the best time to hit the enemy is when they are setting up their formations. I'm not saying that confed would've lost, but it wouldn't have been such a one sided victory

junior

but what would the personel from VF 2 do while awaiting the new fighter? as we see in WC1, the new fighters were not immediatly availiable. would the pilots sit around? no. they would be moved to another squadron (as Halcyon does in the game) and when the new fighters came in, either the pilots would return to VF 2 or the CAG or Wing Commander would assign new pilots to VF 2

Generally that's not the case. The new fighters are delivered at the same time the old fighters are removed.
But no matter what, you're forgetting one thing.
The squadron still exists whether it has fighters or not. The squadron is a collection of individuals that happen to fly fighters. The squadron is not a bunch of fighters that happen to have pilots. Take the fighters away, and the squadron still exists.

In SM2, I would imagine that the Scimitars were replaced by another wing of Rapiers. Until then, you've got a bunch of extra pilots with nothing to do. The Scimitar pilots are either going to be swapped in to replace pilots currently flying Rapiers (in which case, the original Rapier pilot will be moved to the currently inactive squadron - you can't have two pilots flying the same fighter on the same shift, after all), or they're going to be kept in reserve. Either way, the squadron still exists - it just doesn't have as much to do at the moment.
The squadron still exists on paper, and has a pilot compliment to match. When the new Rapier fighters arrive for the squadron (and they should arrive very shortly for an important carrier like the Tiger's Claw), Halcyon isn't going to be creating the squadron again from scratch. He's still going to have the same squadron commander, and may use the exact same personnel to populate the squadron.
Finally, and this is the single biggest flaw in your argument - rank does not equal position. If a squadron is actually completely dissolved, and its members are brought into other squadrons, the former squadron commander will not be demoted just because the squadron was dissolved. He will no longer be a squadron commander, but he will still retain his old rank, even if he's assigned as a member of a new squadron with a preexisting commander.

alright, I drop the issue. We'll just have to wait and see if anyone deals "officially" (another movie or book) with it.

I feel I am to blame on that one a little and I'm sorry about it. :eek:
an apology goes out to Chris Blair. as for this thread I thought a pretty funny moment in the games was when blair tried to hug hobbes in the beginning of wc3 and hobbes had a weird look on his face of discomfort if I'm remembering this correctly.

I kinda thought the scene where Blair tells Flash "See where shootin' off your mouth gets you?" was pretty funny. I guess it was more Flash's look when he said it that was funny.:)

Was that the bit where Flash was moaning about being stuck on the Victory when things are going bad?

Random quote I decided to comment on:
Originally posted by Ijuin
Heh. My favorite Eisen quote is his "elves" speech when you eject.

Eisen: I know it gets hairy out there, but you can't abandon your spacecraft just because some Kilrathi is sniffing around your tail! Do you think I've got elves in the back room buiding these things?
I never liked being dressed down, even if I ejected on purpose. It hurts. :(

Back