Freespace series

I loved both freespace and descent. In some ways, freespace mopped the floor with wing commander, the flight dynamics were a world better. Of course, wing commander is more cinematic with better story telling... except for prophecy, which is inferior to freespace in ever way.

Wing commander 2 is still my favourite space sim though, with freespace 1 following closely behind.

As for descent, that game was great... unless you were effected by the vertigo.

Freespace v Wing Commander

I have to agree that the flight dynamics in Freespace were better than what appeared in all of the Wing Commander games. Also, the introduction of flying in nebulas and the use of AA guns on capital ships in Freespace 2 made for more challenging and realistic missions. However, the story telling in Wing Commander is far above what is available in Freespace 1 or 2. Which is why I think WC: Saga is going to be an awesome game, just from what little I've seen it appears to combine the best elements of both.

Even with all that said though WC is always number 1 for me. The storyline actually makes you care for the characters you play and interact with in the game, they just arent cannon fodder. Not many games can do that or even bother to try.

Bombadier said:
I have to agree that the flight dynamics in Freespace were better than what appeared in all of the Wing Commander games. Also, the introduction of flying in nebulas and the use of AA guns on capital ships in Freespace 2 made for more challenging and realistic missions.
I must say, I never realised that "realistic" is a good thing when we're fighting space cats :).

(also, how exactly did WC not include AA guns on capital ships?)

In this case I beleive AA is reffering to flak gunes... and how's it 'anti-aircraft' anyway when you're in space? heh.

hurleybird said:
In this case I beleive AA is reffering to flak gunes... and how's it 'anti-aircraft' anyway when you're in space? heh.

Every Wing Commander game through Armada had space flak.

Very true. WC had various ways of implementing it, with the Armada style being very unique compared to the previous games. Freespace 2 takes a different approach as well. I enjoy them all, I can't really say which is my favorite (although I will say that I like the long-distance visual effect of the FS 2 flak, but that Armada flak really made me sweat!) :)

I thought WC2 flak was the best/worst (heh, depends what end you're on). Torpedo runs always made me crap my pants.

The extra controls and the flight dynamics in Freespace made the difference and more enjoyable

Is there anyone apart from Sphynx and I that is or have played the Babylon project?? Could use some help with one of the missions

hurleybird said:

The appropriate term, referenced through False Colors, is "Anti-Aerospace". Still AA designation.

Dahan,
Hopefully, the HLP forums will be up soon. They have an entire forum their dedicated to the Babylon project, and many people have had discussions about the Raider Wars campain. As soon as that's back up, that may be your best bet. In the mean time, good luck!

Hey Sphynx I don't have a copy of either Freespace and wondering if you could help me.
I was directed to a guy on the HLP forum and directed to a site where I could download disc 1 2 and 3 of freespace 2. Unfortunately I have problems installing it and playing it. They suggested to download the open source which I have no idea where and how to as it all look gibberish when I looked at the website.

I would suggest posting your question in the Source Code Project thread at the HLP forums. I actually don't have a copy of the SCP running on my computer, other than the build for the Babylon Project and WC Saga. So, I haven't really gone through the process of doing so.

So, ask the guys in the SCP forum, since as of this moment I don't quite know how to answer your question. If you continue to have trouble, I'll dig around and see what I can do for you. Deal?

I found Freespace 1 to be one of my favorite space sims. Not for storyline but I really liked how the introduced the Shivians or however they are spelled. Of course the game went down hill once you got shields AND a shield piercing gun. I thought it would have been better if you had no shields and just the gun. Actually the gun came into existance a little too quickly.

Yes, in FS 1 the Shivans actually frightened me. They were mysterious, overpowering, and relentless. I remember flying several missions in which I had to frantically gather data while outwitting Shivan fighters, and I couldn't get a sensor lock on them, and my weapons couldn't pierce their shields. Those were tense moments! I could get skinned alive for saying this, but I actually wish the Nephilim's introduction in Prophecy would have inspired that kind of dread in me.

Got to agree. For all the shortcommings of FS, the Shivans were portraied better then the Nephilem.

Bandit LOAF said:
Nephilim, spelled like the word.

Why doesn't anyone EVER get it right?! As for freespace and the Shivans...I disagree. Even though my sensors couldn' lock onto them they never seemed to pose a threat to me, they never hit me more than once or twice and my shields always regenerated. I could just fly circles with the afterburners and be fine. Whereas the Nephilim ("Nephilum") could rip your ship up (unless you were playing on rookie).

Back