Freespace series

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Raptor leader, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Raptor leader

Raptor leader Spaceman

Since i recently got a labtop computer i've been looking into space combat pc games beside wing commander like Starlancer,Freelancer,Freespace. As i have been following WC Saga and knew that the team would be using the Freespace 2 engine i went and brought the freespace 2 to fimilar myself with the engine. Now i know it's not required to play WC Saga when it's released but after playing fs2 i've been wondering what other games are in the Freespace series other than '2' of course.

2. Bandit LOAF

Bandit LOAF Long Live the Confederation!

There's Descent.

Everything pretty much goes to hell after that.

3. TurboTim07

TurboTim07 Rear Admiral

yeah. it's like Descent, Descent II, Descent 3, then Descent: Freespace. then Freespace 2 i think. but im 100% sure. i liked Descent. II was ok but it felt the same as the first. never played three or freespace. but i did play freespace 2. oh. then there's the expansion Descent II: Vertigo Series

4. Paddybhoy

Paddybhoy Rear Admiral

Theres lucasarts X-wing series, as a whole they're pretty respectable

5. baphomet_irl

baphomet_irl Spaceman

Descent was great, im only just starting to play Freespace 2 - mainly I got it for the Saga mod too (as i did Nexus).

anybody remember Terminal Velocity?

the gamplay wasnt that great, but for the time the graphics were outstanding, I think it's what MS repackaged as one of the first Win95 games - Fury 3

6. Sphynx

Sphynx Commodore

In my mind, while Decent and Freespace 1 was listed as Decent Freespace: The Great War, the Decent series and the Freespace series seem to be rather seperate universes (different technologies, different factions, different politics, etc.).

So, in the Freespace series, you have Freespace 1: The Great War, an add on to Freespace one called Silent Enemy which was really quite well done, and then Freespace 2. If you google Hard Light Productions, they have many, many fan and creator-made missions, campaigns, and mods that you can download legally for free. The most popular of these are Inferno, Derelict, and the Babylon project, with many others already completed or actively in progress.

In short, if you want to know about Freespace, visit Hard Light Productions. If you want to know about WC, this is the place to be.

7. Maj.Striker

Maj.Striker Swabbie
    Banned

Here's a question...are there any really decent mods currently out for Freespace 1 or 2? The ability to use the engines to make custom mods is nice...you'd think someone would be able to come up with a decent game.

8. Bob McDob

Bob McDob Better Health Through Less Flavor

I played The Babylon Project a while back; it was fun, but I prefer I've Found Her. It seems the FS community is more concerned with making pseudo-sequels and fan missions than original content.

9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Spaceman

A magical land full of sheep, potatoes, and small
    I remeber Descent without such fond memories. I think I first played it when I was around 7, and played it solidly for a whole day, only stopping to eat, sleep, and go to the toilet. The next day I had the worst headache I have ever had in my whole life, it hurt to move. It took about a week to wear off fully, any sudden movement caused me gradually decreacing levels of pain. I have never played a game as obsessivley as I've played decsent since. At least not one with as many flashing lights anyway.

10. Dahan

Dahan Rear Admiral

I have not played Freespace 1 or 2 for ages and I remember going tothe Voltare (not sure of the spelling) website and download a campagin here and there.
    What was the most popular mod/campaign for the two Freespace games??

11. Dyret

Dyret Super Carrot!

I kinda like "The Babylon Project"...

12. Dahan

Dahan Rear Admiral

What is the Babylon Project like/about?

13. Dyret

Dyret Super Carrot!

14. Dahan

Dahan Rear Admiral

Thanks I had a look at it.
    I dont exactly need Freespace 2 to run the Babylon project do I?
    I think I need it

15. Dyret

Dyret Super Carrot!

No, they have a standalone release, just like the Saga team is planning... You'll have to download the campaigns seperatly, though...

16. Dahan

Dahan Rear Admiral

hmm makes sense...didnt expect it to be that big...200 odd so meg, damn lucky i got ADSL
    you don't know what is happening with WC Saga? had a look at their site, did say much about their release and all

17. LeHah

LeHah 212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"

Freespace 2 is a really great quality program if you want something to never work and crash your computer/give you runtime errors any time you start the game.

18. Dyret

Dyret Super Carrot!

Sounds like you're running it on Win2K.:p

19. Maj.Striker

Maj.Striker Swabbie
    Banned

Never had that happen to me. But to be honest I've only played it occassionally...

Speaking of descent, I didn't really get into it that much. My friend got that game when he got his first PC so I played it a couple of times. I wasn't all that impressed. It was neat but I kept getting turned upside down and such (at the time, it seemed clunky to me). Nothing compared to the fun of my Wing Commander games. :)

20. LeHah

LeHah 212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"

I forget what OS I was running at the time when I had it. Possibly ME, God help me - but myself and two friends tried to get it to work on three seperate computers, all with the same effect.

I must admit to thinking about popping it in to trying it again, but between work and DVD collecting and writing and finally reading again and internet stuff and telling Goku to shut up, I've been too busy to do it.