Favorite fighter from WC3\4

Favorite Fighter

• Total voters
No.

The Panther and Vampire have nose-mounted anti-missile turrets. They clearly have them, they're just not implemented.

The Midway carriers have medium ion cannons. They're just not implemented.

The Tiamat and the Kraken both have capital ship plasma cannons. They're just not implemented.

The Murphy destroyers presumably use that big gun at the bow. It's just not implemented.

Etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

If all WCP craft had mounted cloaking devices, perhaps all Nephilim ships had advanced detection technology....

OKAY you got me, I'm being sarcastic

We don't really know how the Nephilim detect cloaked ships. I can only guess it may have something to do with the organic nature of their technology.

Wedge009 said:
We don't really know how the Nephilim detect cloaked ships. I can only guess it may have something to do with the organic nature of their technology.

Cloaking is passe in 2681 -- Confed can see through it (Proving Grounds, WCIV)... it makes perfect sense that the Nephilim would develop similar anti-cloaking technology.

Bandit LOAF said:
Cloaking is passe in 2681 -- Confed can see through it (Proving Grounds, WCIV).

Proving Grounds - isn't that an Armada add-on??

BTW the anti-cloaking theory was only a joke. If all ships can cloak AND detect cloaking, it defeats the purpose of having the device mounted in the first place...a total waste of ship's power.

NapoleanAce said:
Proving Grounds - isn't that an Armada add-on??

BTW the anti-cloaking theory was only a joke. If all ships can cloak AND detect cloaking, it defeats the purpose of having the device mounted in the first place...a total waste of ship's power.

Yes, Proving Grounds is the Armada addon.

And no, it doesn't -- because no one *knows* what technology the next evil alien race will have. It happens that the Nephilim are able to defeat cloakig technology -- but no one knew that until it happened. The pirates and such Midway fought beforehand almost certainly *couldn't*.

I never truely enjoyed cloaking . . except to escape missile locks. That was the only thing I liked about it. And I HATE the Excaliber

Thunderbolt and Excalibur are my favorites.

I remember a mission in WC4, shortly after defecting to the Border Worlds. The set of mission where yoiu are hunting the electronic warfare ship. One mission is interrupted by a movie, showing 3 or 4 Excaliburs coming out of a gas cloud, engaging you.

I was sitting in a Banshee at point and my only thought was, 'HOLY SHIT, I'm going to die!'

So I was preparing for the fight of my life, an old obsolete Border Worlds fighter against the big gun and most advanced ship of the Kilrathi War. As I was still preparing, I've already had beaten them.

Boy that sucked. Must've been the civilian version of the Excalibur or something. :(

Why o why, was the Banshee able to own the Excalibur that easily....

Tarquinn said:
Why o why, was the Banshee able to own the Excalibur that easily....
Because you had the difficulty set too low? Otherwise I'd have to say rusty, out-of-practice pilots (since Tolwyn was gobbling up war vets like the one Blair helped out on Nephele) or the lack of experience of the pilot (if you were flying agianst BL pilots).

C-ya

Nah, it wasn't the flying ability of the AI that disturbed me.

The annoying part was that the ship itself, was less dangerous, could take/deal less damage than a Hellcat... :confused:

I believe the Excaliburs we see in WC4 are a slightly different version of the ones we see in WC3. The WC4 version is sort of 'scaled down'. ie Not as strong, hence not as expensive.

They scaled down the Excaliburs in WC4 'cause the programmers knew they'd be too tough to beat if they were full WC3 strength. Playability must always be balanced...

I noticed that, usually, one good missile, when delivered straight up the pipes, was usually enough to kill one . . well . . unless you were playing on nightmare . . I think . . My first coupla times through, one HS up the chute would ruin one's shit with a quickness.

Back