Fav Wc4 Character

It never mattered who was my wingman, none of them seemed to do any good anyway, I always found myself solving the mission or saving the damsel in destress (biotech chick-WCIV) without the wingmen's help. So I considered them as "fly-along students" instead of usefull wingmen.

Fenris Ulven said:
I dont get the sound to work on it.

I found the actually text on Wedge's site....here it is in the entirity....

Berths, TCS Victory.
Hobbes: Colonel, I am returning to my Homeworld – but my admiration for you compels me to provide an explanation for my actions. You must understand that the Hobbes you knew was a construct, the result of an identity-overlay experiment, initiated long ago by Prince Thrakhath. Lord Ralgha nar Hhallas, you have never truly met. I myself never met him until I heard the Prince utter your Kilrathi title, “The Heart of the Tiger”. This was the trigger that awakened my true personality – hidden for so many years. Once awakened by the words of my Prince, I had no choice but to perform his bidding. Kilrathi do not surrender, nor do we betray. And yet, in being true to my kind, I have betrayed you – for I have watched you, Colonel – I know you are an honourable warrior… If we meet again… we will have no choice but to perform our duties… with honour…

It doesn't make much sense that Thrakhath would send Hobbes to be a deep cover operative when it would seem very unlikely that a Kilrathi defector would ever be put in a position where he would have access to sensitive information - let alone be allowed to serve as an officer in the Confederation military. What would be the odds that Ralgha would actually end up being a pilot AND be informed about Confed's most secret operations AND be accessable for the prince to trigger his true identity.

I can't speak for the writers, but it seems much more feasible that he simply had a change of heart after learning about the planned destruction of Kilrah and that is why the identity-overlay was left out of the game.

That makes sense to me, but check out the scene where Prince Thrakhath is speaking to the Victory. He says "Heart of the Tiger" and right after that, Hobbes acts very strangely. Of course, it could be some emotional response from seeing Prince Thrakhath again, but when I saw it I thought to myself, he just realized his true self.

I don't think the Kilrathi would have zero faith in a covert op, although they'd probably regard it as a longshot. They were amazed at the Terran concept of surrender and absolution.

Unless there's some strong evidence (even something in a novel would do) that suggests Hobbes had a change of heart from within, I'd consider Hobbes' holo message to be canon. After all, why not just make a new different holo message where Hobbes says "I couldn't let Kilrah be destroyed"? I bet they could have gotten away with just switching Hobbes voice in that scene.

Well Hobos wasn't a passive agent that gets triggered by the words: "Hearth of the Tiger". If he was then they wouldn't have removed that scene.

People, the facts are simple: The identity overlay is as canon as it gets... This scene WAS included in the videogame versions of the game, they stupidly (VERY DAMN DUMBLY) left it out of the PC version for disk space constraints. Why didn't they just cut off one of the many "Vaquero's Dream" chat scenes, I have noooo idea.

Hobbes was an identity overlay EXPERIMENT. They created this nice cat persona and sent him over to confed. He was to be around confed until Thrak figured he would be useful. When Thrak heard he was on the same ship as Tolwyn and Blair, he decided that was the right time. Simple as that. it was an EXPERIMENT, after all. One that really payed.

Why didn't they just cut off one of the many "Vaquero's Dream" chat scenes, I have noooo idea.

Those were at vastly different points in the game, though. You'd need to cut something from the fourth CD to make room for the Hobbes scene.

Bandit LOAF said:
Those were at vastly different points in the game, though. You'd need to cut something from the fourth CD to make room for the Hobbes scene.

True, but if you remove two scenes from cd1 with, say, 15MB, you can move another 15MB from cd2 to cd1, and so on until you get the 15mb in cd4... you just have to optmize =)
it is like arrenging (sp?) in your shelves.

Ever think that Roberts made the decision to get rid of the Hobbes holomessage scene not because of time restraints but Roberts himself, at the time, thought it raised questions instead of answering them, thus just confusing the gaming audience?

ChanceKell said:
Ever think that Roberts made the decision to get rid of the Hobbes holomessage scene not because of time restraints but Roberts himself, at the time, thought it raised questions instead of answering them, thus just confusing the gaming audience?

Roberts? who is Roberts?

Hobbs is your equivilant to today's "terrorist sleepers", playing along like they are a part of their surroundings...only to be "awakend" later by either some phrase or code spoken thru some deceptive means, such as the transmission sent to Victory by Thrakhath.

Purrrrrrrrr....BOOM!

Not really - the CD size story has been told by Origin people since the game first came out... and it makes perfect sense.

(For those unaware: the decision was made late in the process to publish WC3 on 60-minute CDs instead of 72-minute ones because the first generation of 1X CD-ROM drives could only read the 60 minute disc format. This meant cutting a number of scenes from the game... the Hobbes scene was the most famous, but WC3 also lost all of its 'newsbriefs' and a few other minor bits of film. When WC3 was released on systems with standardized CD formats, the extra scenes were included.)

Back