Do you want the UBW to rescue Blair from the bugs on UE2?

Do you want the UBW to rescue Blair from the bugs on UE2?

• Yes! Blair Rules!

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • No, Casey is Macho!

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Yes, but on UE3!

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • No, Blair must retrun as a borg-like commander!

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • What are you talking about? (Read: This is a stupid question)

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by WildWeasel
That's his point. Why do they do that, though?

It's the same thing with Blair, Tolwyn, Marshall, Taggart... Its either the callsign or the last name.

Originally posted by Delance
Casey already have a personality, and it sucks. Casey is much better on WCSO, where he doesn't have a personality, and has a decent, commanding voice. The actor there is able to say: "do you wanna a piece of me? WANNA A PIECE OF ME" and get away with it.
Right. In other words, as I pointed out earlier, it's the actor, not Casey himself, that bothers you.

But, while everyone should respect your right be president and founder of the Casey fan club, I think the rest of the community is allowed to have and express their opinions, including, but not limited to, criticism about aforementioned fictional character.
Sure they are, but it's pretty obvious that you have no real reasons to criticise him as a fictional character. I've heard the complaints from people like you a thousand times. It always seems to come down to Steven Petrarca's acting ability.
Heck, if you read the WCP Guide, you'd be surprised how much personality Casey has, and how little of it gets through to the game.

And hey, if Lance is good enough for Henrikson, it should be good enough for Casey, too :p. As for those others... callsigns are very different from last names. It's like calling a friend by a nickname. And Tolwyn... well, apart from Paladin (who does call Tolwyn by his first name), I don't think anyone is on a first name basis with him :p.

Originally posted by Quarto
Right. In other words, as I pointed out earlier, it's the actor, not Casey himself, that bothers you.

Wrong. It is the fact that he has as much personality in WCSO as Blair did in WC1, alongside a different voice, that makes him better.

Sure they are, but it's pretty obvious that you have no real reasons to criticise him as a fictional character.

You can't understand because you just like him too much, right.. :)

I've heard the complaints from people like you a thousand times. It always seems to come down to Steven Petrarca's acting ability.
Heck, if you read the WCP Guide, you'd be surprised how much personality Casey has, and how little of it gets through to the game.

You take Casey way too seriously if you took the time to research his personality.

And hey, if Lance is good enough for Henrikson, it should be good enough for Casey, too :p.

I don't think I'll be complaining about the name "Lance".

As for those others... callsigns are very different from last names. It's like calling a friend by a nickname. And Tolwyn... well, apart from Paladin (who does call Tolwyn by his first name), I don't think anyone is on a first name basis with him :p.

But people call others by their last name, too. Even Maniac, who knows Blair for decades, calls him "Blair". It's probably because the normal way to talk to each other is by rank + last name.

Originally posted by Delance
You can't understand because you just like him too much, right.. :)
Wrong. I don't like Casey any more than most other WC characters. I simply can't understand this rabid hatred of Casey that some people have.

You take Casey way too seriously if you took the time to research his personality.
Arguably, anyone who takes the time to argue that he's a good or bad character is taking Casey way too seriously... so, we all take Casey too seriously. Continuing that line of reasoning, we take WC in general way too seriously. So what's your point? :p

I don't think I'll be complaining about the name "Lance".
Oh, sorry, that comment was actually for BattleDog.

But people call others by their last name, too. Even Maniac, who knows Blair for decades, calls him "Blair". It's probably because the normal way to talk to each other is by rank + last name.
Maniac used to call him Maverick, back when they were young. Calling him Colonel or Blair in WC3/4 seemed more of an indication of them not being close friends anymore.

I didn't dislike Casey. Fact is you're still rooting for Blair, even when you play the game its like, "When do I get to fly with Blair."

That said in WCP Blair sucked as a pilot.

The thing is Blair has this history, plus Hammil is a good actor. Casey is just too middleground. They should have left the decision making in. Thats the way the personality developes.

Originally posted by BattleDog
That said in WCP Blair sucked as a pilot.
Of course he sucked. He's no longer a player character. Disregarding that, you have to remember he hasn't flown a mission in years.

They should have left the decision making in.
Can't please everyone...

BTW, I don't think anyone should try to bring Blair back in a fan project - too many people would complain and want to know what happened between his disappearance and 'rescue'. Any attempt to fill in that story just wouldn't seem... 'right', IMHO.

I'm with Wedge on this one. Blair may or many not be dead, but the discussion around it certainly is. Let this horse lay dead and spare the beating stick.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Of course he sucked. He's no longer a player character. Disregarding that, you have to remember he hasn't flown a mission in years.

Yes, and he was a good pilot, plot-wise. No computer-controlled pilot is a great pilot, really.

Can't please everyone...

No you can't.

BTW, I don't think anyone should try to bring Blair back in a fan project - too many people would complain and want to know what happened between his disappearance and 'rescue'. Any attempt to fill in that story just wouldn't seem... 'right', IMHO.

Easy. He wouldn't remember.

Actually, the intention of this poll was to find out what people thought about it, it was not meant to suggest any particular response.

They should have left the decision making in. Thats the way the personality developes.

Yeah, I liked being able to make some choices--if not ones regarding the missions, at least ones regarding the character relationships. As it was, the only choices you got were whether or not to have certain conversations with people--you couldn't choose Casey's reactions.

Well, as you know, they didn't have quite as much money as one might wish... dialogue choices would have been cool, but they were trying to spend as little as possible.

Originally posted by Quarto
Well, as you know, they didn't have quite as much money as one might wish... dialogue choices would have been cool, but they were trying to spend as little as possible.

Yes, and doing it without interactivity was really cheaper. And they were trying to get to the basics.

That still made it suck. I liked to play the disgruntled arse hole Blair. The two endings to WC4 were great.

I mean Blair defeats Tolwyn and then basically ends up like him. Only not mad.

I also think, that his way to "death" wasn't really the best one...but...well. Let him be, "he's too old for this shit" ;).

But for UE: I don't think, it would be a good idea, if Blair gets rescued...

But I also think, that UE has to involve in the original Story and continue it, ignoring what Origin or EA is doing.

That still made it suck.
You think it sucks. Too bad. Many casual players liked the fact that WC's focus returned to gameplay. And given the budget constraint, I think WCP didn't turn out that bad.

Originally posted by Obee
But I also think, that UE has to involve in the original Story and continue it, ignoring what Origin or EA is doing.
Not ignore, just make sure that there aren't major conflicts/contradictions - which is what I assume happened with the UE story concentrating in the UBW.

Indeed, to avoid contradictions it's best to just stay away from areas covered by the games. Mind you, I think it would be pretty cool to do, for example, a mod where you fly off the TCS Eisen, taking part in WCP's events but flying in a slightly less top-of-the-line craft. Still, I guess ideas for mods are plentiful, while people to put mods together aren't.

Personally I would much rather see a Wcp2 and have a proper death for blair, cause let's face it: He practically took out the entire kilrathi empire, he DEFECTED and lived to become a hero to those who he decfected from as well as who he defected to, then a giant bug (who we think) kills him? Come on now either let him be dead but have a proper funeral service that we see or have a massive fleet engadgement for his retreval.

Originally posted by Lynx
I'm sick of all the guys complaining how bad WCP is. Shut up.

Please don't tell people to shut up.

Also, there's much less whining about how Prophecy is apparantly bad than there used to be.

Yeah, forget trying to involve Blair in the UE storyline. I would like, however, to see the Bugs have a bit more personality rather than just being a faceless swarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back