Do you want the UBW to rescue Blair from the bugs on UE2?

Do you want the UBW to rescue Blair from the bugs on UE2?

• Yes! Blair Rules!

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • No, Casey is Macho!

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Yes, but on UE3!

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • No, Blair must retrun as a borg-like commander!

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • What are you talking about? (Read: This is a stupid question)

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As tired as I am about this subject, I'd like to point out á few things before this closes:

1. I didn't say confed had universal translators that can magically translate any language, but normal translators, that can operate once the other language has been decoded - thing of the GTVA fighters of FS2, or babelfish. So writing hundreds of words about how such artifact can’t exist is utterly irrelevant, needless, uncalled for, useless, and unrelated to anything I have said. To begin with, this is sci-fi, there’s sound in space, FTL is possible, and so such universal translator would not be any more impossible than all those things. Not that it really matters, because, I empathize, universal translators have nothing to do with what I said. Confed computers reported that they were “unable to translate” not because it was cute. It’s completely and irrevocably obvious they have some translation capability, at some point, in some circumstances, to translate something, even bug talk, if they somehow find out how to do it. One can assume that figuring out ways to translate bug talk of the things Confed research officers like Finley were trying to do. It’s reasonable to assume such computer could translate known languages like, perhaps, Kilrathi, for example.

2. Also, about Finley, the idea that the bugs were speaking English amongst would be the ultimate evidence of how freaking stupid they were. It's like germans speaking english on a "secret" transmission during WW2. It's blatantly obvious it's compromised data. Even if they wanted confed to find out what they were saying, they would be making this fact obvious and defeat the whole point of such operation.

3. The bugs did not have superior intellects, and that’s one of the points of the WCP/SO storyline.

4. That said, I think I’ll just leave it at this. I don’t think there’s any point in exploring this subject any longer.

Originally posted by Quarto
Oh, don't worry, Aries. He's got nothing new to say, so we can simply ignore him now :).

To be fair, Quatro, I was forced to repeat what I've been saying all along (so it was not somethig new) because you did ignore it repeatedly (so you are not ignoring now, you are doing it all along). You spoke of comparing apples and oranges when, in fact, it was you that was trying to prove that a imaginary thing that I wasn't talking about didn't exist.

Delance: "Confed have computers."

Quatro: "Dah, how stupid. Unicorns doesn't exist... Wanna know why? Lemme write a 300 word essay about how unicorns only exist in Star Trek.”

You're missing the point Delance, and warping it amazingly. Quarto made reference to a universal translator, which you didn't say, but it doesn't void his argument at all, as he was stating why it was impossible.

He made reference to all of you points that were actually -relevent- to the argument, and frankly, sealed the deal. If you can't see now that you're actually wrong, that's fine, but isn't it best to let it go.

Originally posted by Tempest
You're missing the point Delance, and warping it amazingly. Quarto made reference to a universal translator, which you didn't say, but it doesn't void his argument at all, as he was stating why it was impossible.

So even tough it's completely unrelated to my argument, to the issue and to Wing Commander in general, I must accept it as unbeatable evidence I'm wrong. Thanks for explaining it, Tempest. No wonder how I "can't see" how I'm wrong. Kind of makes it easy to win any argument here. "Unicorns don’t exist, therefore I'm right". :D

Perhaps, or you could put: "I should put that in my signature." It would create an infinitum vortex, like 2 mirrors in front of each other. Or maybe it would just suck.

Originally posted by Delance
To be fair, Quatro, I was forced to repeat what I've been saying all along (so it was not somethig new) because you did ignore it repeatedly (so you are not ignoring now, you are doing it all along). You spoke of comparing apples and oranges when, in fact, it was you that was trying to prove that a imaginary thing that I wasn't talking about didn't exist.
Eh? WTF? You put some imaginary argument in my mouth, and then tell me that I am ignoring your argument? A few pages ago, you quoted a post of mine. I was saying that yes, the Confed computers obviously has some translation capabilities. I then proceeded to explain why it couldn't have translated bug speech. While I didn't say this explicitly, it goes without saying that the computers could translate bug speech - IF they had been programmed with sufficient data - which, they couldn't, because Confed didn't have access to this data.

You, on the other hand, decided to completely ignore this point and pretend that I'm claiming that the computers have no translation abilities at all, and that this somehow makes you right.

I am incredibly tired of this bullshit. You're making stupid claims, you are unable to back them up with anything resembling evidence, and yet you keep repeating the same crap over and over, even after we've explained to you a hundred times why you're wrong. No more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back