Commodities wanted! for WC Universe

Originally posted by Supdon3
The US has pieces of all the cultures of Europe and elsewhere. In fact we're made up of people who came from everywhere else (not counting the Native Americans)

That's one of the biggest reason why (How can I say this without sounding blindly patriotic..)we're the greatest country in the world. IMHO of course. But I think the mixing of culture really defines us. Seeing other "kinds" of people everyday might actually make us more aware of the outside than other countries give us credit for.

Other than that, our real defining element is what we've acheived in the short time we've been a country. From beating the most powerful nation in the world (twice) to developing (and using) the first nuclear weapons (ok, not so good, but we still DID it) to putting a man on the moon.

Recently i've had a newfound patriotism that I lacked before. Hence me changing my sig.

[Edited by Ladiesman^ on 04-22-2001 at 21:49]

Because it was a big country in the middle east, or because it was a big country in the middle east sponsoring terrorist activities and claiming that the US must be destroyed:)?

The US isn't the only multicultural place you know, Australia is one of the worlds most diverse places, My favourite country after Australia is Canada I have yet to meet an asshole from Canada but I have met Assholes from lots of other countries.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You've never met TC?

*rimshot*
Darkmage... were you *hinting* at that? :)
Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The entire world is multicultural.
Of course.. but in my opinion the US englobe that multiculturalism... in ONE country.
It's not the "ultimate" representation of the world of course, but many many races, nationalities and cultures are represented...

The interersting part comes asking those people how they *feel*... whether they feel American for being born in the US, or Spanish, Irish, Italian etc. for the cultural heritage they are carrying with them, and in which they have been raised...

Personally, I was born in Germany and raised there for 8 years... then I moved to France.
Although I don't think I carry any major influence in my cultural identity from my stay in Germany, I carry a lot from my stay in France, perhaps because I was living in France during my adolescence... but still, I feel 100% Italian because of my parents, my roots, and my home education.
Identity is very important in society, and it is that much important when you're dealing with such a large and culturally broad country like the US...
I wonder if there are others here with a similar case than mine... :)

[Edited by mpanty on 04-23-2001 at 00:19]

Identity...so multicultural like you're mpanty...only a very few people can hold with that. I don't belong to them. The only influence of other cultures I had, came from short visits to the countries beside Germany. The Netherlands, France...but longer, for years? Like you? No, I stayed my entire life..so short it is in Germany....how can I become inflenced??? I am German, not proud of it, but it is so...

Aw... and where would the fun of hearing him talk go? We all love you TC!!! :)
("Well I don't!" you would say, right? ;) )

Multiculturalism to me means that all cultures in that community are equally avlued, and that people who belong to any community aren't made to feel unwanted or second class. I doubt there's any country tht can claim that, as minorities are generally either economically disadvantaged, or if they're successfull, resented by the majority culture.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by $tormin
*pokes TC with a stick*

thats how i show my respect

*continues poking*
I think you'd be in deep trouble if you did that, $tormin... :)

No one has any idea how mean TC can get... probably not even TC himself... :D

[Edited by mpanty on 04-23-2001 at 01:55]

Well whether they are valued equally or not, mulitculturality exists in many places, influencing many things from language to the foods we eat and the music we listen to just for starters. There will always be a dominant anything, but as long as other cultures are present, they make a difference.

Originally posted by Raptor

Multiculturalism to me means that all cultures in that community are equally valued, and that people who belong to any community aren't made to feel unwanted or second class. I doubt there's any country that can claim that, as minorities are generally either economically disadvantaged, or if they're successful, resented by the majority culture.
So true Raptor... true and sad...

The US try to give this idea of nation of freedom, but the majority lives in a situation like you describe...

That's what I meant by identity... Sometimes children born in America want to be Americans even if they were born Colombian, because of a need to be accepted by their inmates...
I think it's very important for a human being to keep its cultural heritage intact...
Sadly, because of this very cultural heritage, and the stereotypes it sometimes carries with it, people are rejected by the dominant culture... :(

[Edited by mpanty on 04-23-2001 at 01:59]

Where do you get this stuff mpanty? Geez you guys all complain about how Americans are sterotyping every single person from another country and thats exactly what YOU are doing.

Originally posted by mpanty
Originally posted by $tormin
*pokes TC with a stick*

thats how i show my respect

*continues poking*
I think you'd be in deep trouble if you did that, $tormin...

No one has any idea how mean TC can get... probably not even TC himself...

[Edited by mpanty on 04-23-2001 at 01:55]

i did it before and im still alive :D
except it was with a newbie poking stick that time :D

Where do you get this stuff mpanty? Geez you guys all complain about how Americans are sterotyping every single person from another country and thats exactly what YOU are doing.
I'm not stereotyping anybody Supdon... The US were just an example... people being emarginated is a reality in every country of the world!!

I took the US because everyone sees it as "the land of liberty and freedom", but I could have very well taken the example of France, where the stereotypes are that Arabs are thieves and Black people are lazy...
My point is that despite these stereotypes, and the problems that people might encounter when not being part of the dominant culture, one should never forget his roots...

[Edited by mpanty on 04-23-2001 at 02:11]

Whats the difference you ask? Well the plebe stick smells funky:)

As for poking TC with a stick, it can be fun but becareful cause he does poke back!

Whats the difference you ask? Well the plebe stick smells funky

As for poking TC with a stick, it can be fun but becareful cause he does poke back!

im immortal. and i can prove it:D

see. i havent died yet :D

can i continue this when TC is awake. i hate insulting people behind thier backs. when they can't fight back. it sorta sickens me with its dishonesty.

Back