Capships should never be destroyed...

I second the point about the Broadsword's shields against the AMGs.

Anyway, why are you talking about the Concordia shooting thru herself? Many capships fire thru themselves! Off the top of my "brain case" are the Fralthi II (WCIII) when you approach her from the rear, and the Nephilim Dreadnought's turrets. Grrr.

And Q, good point about the Connie being a battleship/carrier mix, but the Nephilim Tiamat doesn't seem all that terrifying (only the millions of fighters within, of course). But the Tiamat/Kraken combo in the losing endgame seems pretty effective.

Penguin: Yes. That is exactly what I'm saying. In fact, even fore/aft, they can't just fire at any angle - they always have to turn to face you. That's why slightly changing your approach angle halfway through the attack run is so effective.

Wedge: We never saw a Tiamat fighting it out against a friendly capship, y'know.

Quarto: That is so... Er I don't have the words for it. Let's just say I'm going to dust off my WC2 flying skills ;) Heh heh - I assume this is how it works with both KSaga & the original DOS version?

As for the Broadsword, no offense anyone but I think you're nuts if you think the Broadsword's shields are going to save you from an AMG blast.

Penguin: As far as I recall, yes, it works that way with both versions. As for the Broadsword's shields, they do save you from the AMG. That is to say, they reduce its strength enough so that it doesn't kill you as quickly. This means that you can go right in without worrying as much about the AMGs, because you've got a failsafe. Now, the Sabre, on the other hand... well, eight centimetres of shields have never saved anyone :).

I never found AMGs that annoying. They're slow enough to dodge once you see them fire at you, and they take like ten seconds to refire.

The only Wing Commander 2 capship I found hard to take out were Kamekhs, since their missiles were like impossible to avoid while keeping your torpedo lock.

SWC 'Claw

Well, it seems in Super Wing Commander (the Mac one) The Tiger's Claw not only looks different but has different defense wing locations, gunpoints, and in SWC turrets only shoot where they are. (turrets on starboard only shoot starboard.

Hey is there a new capship

Being build up and designed which as powerful as Midway and more faster Cerberus? and if there one getting build up then what would it be named?

Was it because the manual says Kamekhs have phase shields that you didn't blast it? Didn't your wingmen shoot at the corvettes with their guns?:)

Actually, in my newbie days I thought the Kamekh had phase shields too, if only cos the manual said so. It wasn't until the Epee mission with Spirit did I find out you could kill it with guns. And that was only cos Spirit shot it down.

And heck, yes the Broadsword does have sufficient shielding to protect you from AMGs. It's not as if WC1/2 have difficulty adjustments!

Now, I've never had the opportunity to witness this myself, but I hear that if neither you or Spirit kill the Kamekh, later on in the mission you'll get to see exactly why Kamekhs shouldn't mess with the TCS Concordia :).

yes the kilrathi frigates dont have phase shield why? good question.
The Broadsword is a very dificult ship to use againt starships, that stupid heavy destoyer got me every time in that stupid recover the data pod mission, I just afterburn for some time and he just go after me, manage to kill him after 7 times.
The wingmans are even worst flying that bucket, and the AAA just blow up the torpedos if we dont stay on in the run until detonation, I got the bad habit of doing that even on WC III. It takes time and patiance to do a torpedo run in WC II, but after you get the hang of it you will do it just fine.

Phase shields don't always stop guns or most missiles, just like the don't in WC1/WC3/4.

For some reason the Phase shields on Kamehs must be older models, or because of their small size they can't generate enough power to make them fully inpenetrable by most weapons.

Well the ones in the other ships classes seen to work.
Perhaps they shut them down to get more power.
But that sould be explained in the manual, I saw spirit going after one and I think to myself Great I am going to lose another wingman...hrg..Wingwoman. Them she manage to kill the danm thing and I think How did she do that? after all those thing have phase shields.I wonder if I... and after some time I see one and go for it...BANG, it blow up.
if it works on the others classes it sould work on the Corvettes to.
Phase shield stop all weapons and Missiles (except antimatter and torpedos) from doing any damage.

Wingmen in WC2 will not attack a capital ship until you've fired at it -- thus, if you do not try to attack a Kamkeh with your guns, your wingman will not do so either.

I order "Break and Attack" and she go after it.
I think that the AI thinks that corvettes are figther because you can kill one with regular weapons.

Back