And for some Humor...

Originally posted by Ghost
So for the Christianity just being Christian grants you access to the heaven,pareadise no matter what he did/do?

For some Christian denominations, yes. They believe (if I understood correctly) that, since all man are really not good enough to deserve salvation, it doesn't matter if they are evil or good. That is not the only position and other Christians believe in a different interpretation of the Bible.

Some also say that, once you are saved, even if just formally, you cannot lose your salvation, regardless of what evil and sinful acts you commit. Against, this is not the "Christian position". It's the interpretation that some Christians have of the scriptures. As far as I know, it's minoritary, although Preacher thinks its majoritary. I know that some of the major Christians Churches (Roman Catholic, Anglicans, Orthodox) do believe in a different interpretations.

When it comes to exegesis, a serious science, I think the majority of the theologians have the same interpretation I mentioned. That doesn't mean they are automatically right or wrong, just that there are more than one interpretation of the Bible.

So what things and who will be judged in the judgement day?

As you have noticed, that's what I've been asking here.

I can´t think any good about any religion if it preach that their members will be saved just for being members and that any member of any other religion will be judged just for being a member of another religion.

Originally posted by Delance
Well, this thread is proving that, unlike previously thought, it’s possible to have a good forum conversation on religion that, not only doesn’t turn into a knife fight, but also is very interesting.
Sure, right, whatever. And then Preacher comes up and says something like...
The bottom line is this: God has laid out rather clearly what His Plan is, and we need to take heed to it. Sure, if you die in unbelief, God may choose in the End to show you His mercy, but are you seriously willing to take that long-shot of a chance?... After all, this is eternity we're talking about. That is why NOW is the time to believe; TODAY is the day for repentance, while you still have the chance; no one is guaranteed another sunrise, nor another breath, not even another heartbeat.
So, Preacher, give me one good reason why I shouldn't close this thread right now. I have warned you before, after all.

So for the Christianity just being Christian grants you access to the heaven,pareadise no matter what he did/do?
You haven't been paying attention when Preacher explained how Christians squirm out of that argument :). You see, apparently, if you're a Christian and do something so bad that you shouldn't go to Heaven, then you were never really a Christian. In other words, if you're a Christian:
a) you're automatically saved. Therefore,
b) your actions don't matter. You're saved whatever you do. However,
c) if you do something really, really bad, then clearly, you were never really a Christian. So conditions (a) and (b) are invalidated, and you go to Hell.

You gotta love logic :p.

Wait, AFAIK you are a christian just for being baptised and if you take the 1st Communion (not sure about the last one)

So Christians face no judgment, regardless of what terrible acts they may have committed? I'm not talking about someone bad who converts before he dies, but a Christians that becomes corrupted.
No, Christians face judgement from God too, they just have Jesus as their chosen representative/replacement. People who have put their faith in Christ, but then have turned away during their lifetime (and are unrepentant), well, I believe the Bible states they are worse off than before they knew Christ.

Also, if the non-Christians are facing a judgment, this means they can also be saved, right? [snip] If non-Christians were going automatically to hell, as some defend, there would be no point in having a judgment.
Yes, they can be saved too, but they must make their choice before they die, ie before judgement. And yes, there is a point for judgement - Hell is the punishment rendered if found guilty. And beware of the stereotypes of Heaven and Hell. Hell is not where the 'cool' people go, Hell is total separation from God, Hell is eternal pain, eternal loneliness, everything bad we can possibly imagine and worse... for eternity. Separation from God is so bad that even for a short time, Jesus could hardly bare it, crying out "Father, why have you forsaken me?"

Originally posted by LeHah
So does that mean all those countless people before [Jesus] are in some purgatory/limbo/black cabin?
The people of the Old Testament time had the Law and the Prophets to live by.

Originally posted by Preacher
Good answer, Wedge!
I only say what I have learned from the Bible, and Bible-based teaching. ;)

It may well be that God will have mercy on some nonbelievers, but the basic guideline is what has been presented here time & again: Only those who know Him can be assured of their place in heaven. All others (except for the occasional case here & there where God may decide to show such mercy) will be condemned.
That's an interesting view, and it would help explain difficult cases like "What happens to unborn children?" I cannot speak for God and how he would choose to be merciful. The central point is that in his sacrifice of Jesus, he committed the ultimate act of justice and the ultimate act of mercy - simultaneously!

Ghost answered that point when he said that after you seek forgiveness 3 times, if they refuse to forgive you, then God will take care of it and do the forgiving Himself.
Are we talking about grievances between people here? People will always be in conflict, even Christians. Even Paul and Peter (I think that's them) had violent disagreements, but their disagreement meant that there were two evangelistic missions instead of one! Anyway, I think my point is that God will take care of everything in the final day.

The general (broad) view is that no Christian can become so corrupted as to lose their salvation. Essentially the idea is, if you thought you were saved and then go on to become a Hitler or something, you were never really saved in the first place. This is where the "by their fruits you shall know them" idea comes in. This is why Paul urges believers to examine themselves to be sure they are of the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5). Also it's key to remember here that there is always hope for any one, up to the very moment of death - like the thief on the cross next to Christ.
I don't know about the "not being Christian anyway if you wind up like Hitler" view, but there are several warnings (like Hebrews 6) against 'falling away'. I agree with the point on "hope until death".

Well, this thread is proving that, unlike previously thought, it’s possible to have a good forum conversation on religion that, not only doesn’t turn into a knife fight, but also is very interesting.
Indeed! I stayed out at first because I thought it might wind up as another thread war (and also because I'm very busy!), but this proves that CIC CZers can be civilised. Sometimes, anyway. :)

That is why NOW is the time to believe; TODAY is the day for repentance, while you still have the chance; no one is guaranteed another sunrise, nor another breath, not even another heartbeat.
And forget about those "prophets of Doom". "The day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night." ie No one will know when the last day will be, but it will surely come!

There are Christians in history that did some very bad things. So, from a formal point of view, someone raised like a Christians that does the most terrible acts of brutality, will go to heaven just because of a formality? To say "so he wasn't truly a Christian" is an invalid argument since you said that formality is enough.
And there are Christians today who have done some very bad things. One should realise that not all people who label themselves Christians have necessarily committed their lives to Chirst. A true Christian should not commit acts of brutality, but if they have - whether accidentally or deliberate - they should be fully repentant.

The debate is that some Christians say it’s utterly impossible for non-Christians to enter in heaven, while other says it is not. It’s either impossible or not.
The definite thing is that without Christ as your Lord and Saviour, you cannot be assured of salvation. And this goes with the last paragraph too, someone who takes Jesus as their Saviour, but not as their Lord (ie living as he commands) is making a very big mistake.

Yes.

Everything and everyone.

If you believe in Jesus you automatically enter into the paradise?
Yes again. And "paradise" is perhaps a misnomer. It will be a perfect world, where people will live as they were always meant to live. To work and play in harmony with each other and with God.

Is Jesus like a *safe card*?
I called Jesus a "Get out of jail free" card as a gross simplification. He still deserves our utmost respect and devotion.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
I think you need to do things like confess your sins and live by the Ten Commandments. But it can get tricky here, with things like soldiers killing or farmers having to put down animals. (Though shall not kill).
No, no, no. The correct wording is "You shall not murder". Which is a subset of killing. God commanded and guided Israelite armies in war. And the way the world was designed was that people would rule animals while God would rule mankind. Of course we have twisted this original plan and turned it upside down. We try to rule God and in turn, we are ruled by animals, in a sense at least (predators, venomous creatures, etc).

But that's beside the main point. Living solely by the Ten Commandments is a mistake. It's not like you can put a tick next to each Commandment as you go along on and say you're righteous if you can tick all ten. I believe the Commandments are a general guideline. For example, we are to honour our parents, but what happens if we have corrupt and abusive parents? We should live by the God's word (ie the Bible) as a whole.

Also, we do need to confess our sins to God, but not necessarily in a formal way such as the way I believe Catholics do. If it makes you feel better to do it that way, but it's not necessary - we can confess our sins directly to God through Christ.

Well, that is good propaganda.

Join us and be happy in the afterlife!
Not propaganda. Gross simplification.

I can´t think any good about any religion if it preach that their members will be saved just for being members and that any member of any other religion will be judged just for being a member of another religion.
The key here is that Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship with God. Being a 'member' of Christianity does not make you saved - committing your life to Christ does.

Sorry for the long post, but one more point I should make is that being a Christian (a follower of Christ) is not easy. It is a lifelong commitment, and we are continually persecuted and will face many hardships. But Christians will be rewarded for their perseverance, and never forget that the alternative to following Christ is infinitely worse.

I hope everyone can see that I have tried not to be arrogant, over-bearing, self-righteous, stuck-up or whatever in making these posts, but have tried to inform in a loving and caring manner.

[These posts came up after I posted initially]

Originally posted by Quarto
So, Preacher, give me one good reason why I shouldn't close this thread right now. I have warned you before, after all.
What did he do wrong? I thought we were having a good discussion here.

Wait, AFAIK you are a christian just for being baptised and if you take the 1st Communion (not sure about the last one)
No! This is a wrong view to take. Read what I've said above. Baptism is only a badge, a symbolic gesture to say you commit yourself to Christ. It is not necessary. Neither is Communion. The Lord's Supper is only a practice to remind ourselves of the new covenant God made with humanity through Jesus.

What did you mean, "a little mercy"? The Loving God has more than "a little" Mercy.
Figure of speech. The lesson to take away here is this: If He so painstakingly set out to make His plan clear, which He did, it only makes sense that any such mercy would be little compared to the mercy He had in setting up such a comprehensive plan in the first place. That's where the vastness of His mercy comes in - in the plan itSELF. If He went and then overrode Himself by showing the blanket mercy that some people seem to think He will, it would violate His character. There can be no mercy without there also being judgement, and many seem to think He's a God of love ONLY - this is just plain stupid and contradictory. Not to mention dangerous for those who fall into such ways of thinking.

How in the world did you come up with the statistics like that? Why just a few and not millions? It’s the Almighty God’s decision.
"Statistic"?... I gave no such thing - notice I didn't give a number. That was intentional; no one can guess at what the number would be, but Scripture makes it plain that it will be "few" ("narrow is the road, and few there be that find it"). Fact is, Scripture itself doesn't (AFAIK) admit that there'll even be ANY exceptions to "the Plan". I'm just (as Mom said) tryin' to leave some room for the mercy of God.

The debate is that some Christians say it’s utterly impossible for non-Christians to enter in heaven, while other says it is not. It’s either impossible or not.
What's "impossible" is for us to know what small number of exceptions there might be. As to Scripture itself, as I said, it makes room for none, from everything I've read & heard preached over the years, and thus, I'd hafta say that, acc. to the Word, yeah, it'd be "impossible".

There are Christians in history that did some very bad things. So, from a formal point of view, someone raised like a Christians that does the most terrible acts of brutality, will go to heaven just because of a formality? To say "so he wasn't truly a Christian" is an invalid argument since you said that formality is enough.
OK, I guess I misunderstood your use of the term "formal/formally". Now it appears more clear to me what you meant.

That said, let me address what you say above: Someone "raised like a Christian" don't mean squat. The issue is, IS the person really a Christian?... If so, your argument becomes invalid, in that someone who really IS a Christian will not go out and butcher people, etc., and if they do, yo uhave legitimate cause to question the reality of their "faith" (see my previous posts for the 'why' of this dynamic).

And no, I haven't seen "Dogma"

If you believe in Jesus you automatically enter into the paradise?

Is Jesus like a *safe card*?
Right, no matter what he did, so long as he later came to repent of his sins before God while he still was sucking air down here.
I already answered the question about judgment day a post or two ago.
And yes, "if you believe" is the condition. Of course, it needs to be said that 'believing' here means believing not just with your mind (pretty much everyone here in the US can say that much - at least acc. to the polls) but with your HEART!...
Originally posted by Philip Tanaka

I think you need to do things like confess your sins and live by the Ten Commandments. But it can get tricky here, with things like soldiers killing or farmers having to put down animals. (Though shall not kill).
Confess yer sins, yes, but to *God*. It's OK if you feel like confessing them to another person (esp. if you've sinned against THEM), or a priest, but most important is to confess them to God. As for the 10 Cs, they also are a good guideline, but living by them *alone*, and a couple of quarters (without faith in Christ), will only buy you a small cup of coffee on the train to hell.

For some Christian denominations, yes. They believe (if I understood correctly) that, since all man are really not good enough to deserve salvation, it doesn't matter if they are evil or good. That is not the only position and other Christians believe in a different interpretation of the Bible.
You understand correctly, and no, unfortunately, that's not the only position, but it should be. The Word couldn't possibly make it any clearer, but man is a stubborn, stiff-necked beast, so slow to believe and quick to be decieved. Oh, well...

Some also say that, once you are saved, even if just formally, you cannot lose your salvation, regardless of what evil and sinful acts you commit. Against, this is not the "Christian position". It's the interpretation that some Christians have of the scriptures. As far as I know, it's minoritary, although Preacher thinks its majoritary. I know that some of the major Christians Churches (Roman Catholic, Anglicans, Orthodox) do believe in a different interpretations.
Methinks you misunderstand the position you are trying to paint (which could also explain why you say "...As far as I know, it's minoritary, although Preacher thinks its majoritary"). Here's the deal: If you truly believe (That is, IN YOUR HEART), you then *have* your salvation and, yes, can never lose it.

It comes down, though, to whether you ever HAD it in the first place. If you "get saved" at 21, and then go on to live a lifestyle of drink, drugs, debauchery, rape, and murder till you die at age 50, your life has shown your faith to be a lie; you have decieved yourself. If, on the other hand, you merely continue to sin, then that is normal, in itself. See, the deal is, we are never fully free from sin while down here. What marks the true Christian (and I said it before, but I'll gladly say it again) is that his life will show a continuous pattern of improvement and maturity as he goes thru those years from 21-50. He will have occasional bouts of sinful behavior from time to time, but the overall pattern of his life is marked by a continuing maturity in behavior, conduct, and thought. If you were to plot it on a graph, you'd see a curve which is overall going "up" over time. Sure, there'd be a few plateus, and even a few dips or downturns, but the overall net vector of the course plotted would be an upward curve. Even Paul himself said that he did not count himself to have "arrived yet" (Meaning even then, towards the end of his life, he realized he still had some maturing to do and had not achieved sinless perfection). It's like the old saying goes "I'm not the Christian person I should be (meaning, "yet"), but thank God I'm not the person I used to be". Boy does that ever apply to me. And to most every Christian friend I've ever had.

What judgment is this? If they are going to hell regardless of their actions, what is in judgment, at all?
See my last coupla posts, dude.

Oh, and btw, there's no "-ary" in those words: it's "majority" and "minority" ...;)

What judgment is this? If they are going to hell regardless of their actions, what is in judgment, at all?

I wuz jest playin aroun.:D

Originally posted by Wedge009
Just want people to know I also made a lengthy contribution just before Preacher's last post. ;)
Aye, and a bloody good one it was at that, laddy ;)

Seriously, where'd all them posts come from as I was editing mine? Whew!... No, you made some great points there, bro.

As to the asking for forgiveness 3x deal, yeah, I was just addressing the Jewish tradition/belief that Ghost had brought up.

As to the children/babies who die, IIRC that they are in heaven with the Lord. They are one of the few cases I can think of where a person truly never had the chance to make a free will choice to accept Christ. God holds us responsible to the degree of our understanding of/ability to understand Him, and those never even had a chance to understand him.

I speak from a broken heart of experience here, as I lost 2 babies, and about the only thing that got me through it was the knowledge that they had souls, and that they are with the Father now. Best of all, I'll get to be united with them after this veil of tears is concluded... ::sniff::

While I can't speak of God's decision regarding unborn children with such confidence, I can certainly understand the feeling. I always used to wonder why there is a relatively large age gap between me and my brother and I found out that I have several siblings who never made it... but I think that miscarriages are supposed to be quite common anyway.

You are a Christian if you are baptized. The first 1st Communion is the fist time a Christians participates in the Holy Eucharist. It's one of the seven sacraments of the Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and some other Christian churches. Not all Christians Churches have those sacraments and traditions.

I beleive babies and small children go to heaven. I think this has been established for a very long time.

You are a Christian if you are baptized.
As I said before, a baptism is meaningless if you have not really committed yourself to Christ. The baptism is just a symbolic gesture, a public declaration. I was previously thinking of adult baptisms, but in a child baptism (where the parents make the declaration), the child still has to make his or her own decision regarding Christ when they grow old enough to take responsibility for him or herself. He or she can make a public declaration if they choose to, called confirmation.

The first 1st Communion is the fist time a Christians participates in the Holy Eucharist. It's one of the seven sacraments of the Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and some other Christian churches. Not all Christians Churches have those sacraments and traditions.
Mmm, that probably why I didn't recognise its supposed significance. I still say Communion is just a practice, not a necessity in being Christian.

I beleive babies and small children go to heaven. I think this has been established for a very long time.
Established? Where? The whole idea of "What happens to babies if they die?" falls under the group of difficult questions people throw at Christians (whether innocently or through spite).

Mmm, that probably why I didn't recognise its supposed significance. I still say Communion is just a practice, not a necessity in being Christian.

It's one of the seven sacraments.

Established? Where? The whole idea of "What happens to babies if they die?" falls under the group of difficult questions people throw at Christians (whether innocently or through spite).

As far as I know, the Roman Catholic Church say Babies go to heaven for way before the protestant movement. But where's the doubt about this? Who are the Christians that say that babies don't go to heaven? I don't know any, myself.

What did he do wrong? I thought we were having a good discussion here.
Well, I specifically told him - several times - to not attempt to convert others. And this particular post was very much "repent and join us before it's too late" in tone.

No, Christians face judgement from God too, they just have Jesus as their chosen representative/replacement.

It´s like:
Jesus: '' the are my followers i take care of them'' ?
And what happens to people form othe religions?, God judges them for their actions so he can say if they go to ''heaven'' or ''hell''?

Yes, they can be saved too, but they must make their choice before they die, ie before judgement. And yes, there is a point for judgement - Hell is the punishment rendered if found guilty. And beware of the stereotypes of Heaven and Hell. Hell is not where the 'cool' people go, Hell is total separation from God, Hell is eternal pain, eternal loneliness, everything bad we can possibly imagine and worse... for eternity.

Interesting, for the jews there isn´t a ''material place or state'' called Hell, only a separation from the prescence of God, and that is when you are alive, not dead.
After the Resurrection Day (we don´t have a Judgment Day)
Everyone will be resurrected by God (no matter what religion you follow), that is the reason because the jews can´t be cremated, ''buried in the sea'', or can´t donate organs, so you can be resurrected as you were in your live, also the lower side of the coffin must be opened so you can truly go back to the dust or earth
I believe (after reading some books) that the vision of the ''christian burning hell'' was created to scare people and to gain followers, the original meaning of the hell (Golgota, Gehenna) was a hill near Jerusalem were the people dumped the trash, it was a nasty place with bad odour,wild animals,infestations and some other bad things.

The people of the Old Testament time had the Law and the Prophets to live by.

Yes, and before that the virtuous lived by the ''laws'' that God gave to Noah

That's an interesting view, and it would help explain difficult cases like "What happens to unborn children?"

For judaism the unborn children and babies, they go with God automatically, because they hadn´t the chance to commit transgresions nor the undertanding

And the way the world was designed was that people would rule animals while God would rule mankind. Of course we have twisted this original plan and turned it upside down. We try to rule God and in turn, we are ruled by animals, in a sense at least (predators, venomous creatures, etc).

Mmhh... i read the same from some Rabbi, Akiva or Rashi, it´s the explanation of a few vers. of the Torah, the Genesis i think.

But that's beside the main point. Living solely by the Ten Commandments is a mistake. It's not like you can put a tick next to each Commandment as you go along on and say you're righteous if you can tick all ten.

Yeah, that is why the Torah has 613 precepts, som ''positives'' (things that you can do) and some ''negatives'' (things that you can´t do)

The key here is that Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship with God. Being a 'member' of Christianity does not make you saved - committing your life to Christ does.

That is good, i like to think about the judasim more like a Way of Life more than a religion.

But Christians will be rewarded for their perseverance, and never forget that the alternative to following Christ is infinitely worse.

This of course if you are christian, i dont think that my ''alternative way'' is infinitely worse, nor that i will burn in the ''christian hell''

. There can be no mercy without there also being judgement, and many seem to think He's a God of love ONLY - this is just plain stupid and contradictory. Not to mention dangerous for those who fall into such ways of thinking.

Indeed, that is why in the Torah he has many ''other names''
Like ELohim (when he is judging), Adonai (The Lord).
And sometimes he is callled the Lord of the Armies.

That said, let me address what you say above: Someone "raised like a Christian" don't mean squat. The issue is, IS the person really a Christian?... If so, your argument becomes invalid, in that someone who really IS a Christian will not go out and butcher people, etc., and if they do, yo uhave legitimate cause to question the reality of their "faith" (see my previous posts for the 'why' of this dynamic).

That is why i used Torquemada as an example, he clearly thought that he was a good christian, that he did the God´s job and that for those things he was a Just.

Right, no matter what he did, so long as he later came to repent of his sins before God while he still was sucking air down here.

But must be a true repent,right?

Back