And for some Humor...

Originally posted by Preacher
That said, the first part of your assessment above is right on. I will say again (as pertaining to the second part of your response) that salvation does not consist in one's religion per se, but consists in one's relationship with the Living God.

It was not so much as my assessement, but a description of what some people beleive in. Yes, the Allmighty God decides who will be saved. That's the whole point.

Some think it's some formality and that it's completely irrelevant if you were good or bad. They say that since everyone is bad when compared to God, it doesn't matter if they are good or bad for human standards. So, it's a formal matter: are you from their religion? Saved, regardless of persoanl acts. Are you not? Going to hell. Some even say other christian religions outside their denomination will have the same fate. Even considering that some of those denominations are very recent in human history and relatively small in numbers.

And what about theo whole judgement thing after the end of the world?

Originally posted by Ghost
In the judaism is easy, you have the Yom Kippur: in that day God pardons you only the sins or transgressions against him.

But you must talk with the person (the one who you commited a sin or transgression) to be granted a pardon so you can be forgiven.
God can´t forgive you about a sin or transgression against a person.

That's interesting. What if the person doesn't want to forgive you? What if you killed that person? What if you can't forgive yourself for a sin?

If you are truly ashamed and feel sorry about it, you shall ask for forgiveness 3 times, if the person denies the pardon. You are considerated as forgiven even if the person don´t want to forgive you.
If you killed that person....i don´t know, maybe talking with the family or maybe God can forgive you (of course you must feel sorry)
If you can´t forgive yourself maybe God acts at his best judgment of the situation, i can´t say it for sure.

Originally posted by Delance

...So, it's a formal matter: are you from their religion? Saved, regardless of persoanl acts. Are you not? Going to hell.
Well, obviously they have their own view on that, as far as being "from their religion" goes (I speak here of Christian denominations, mind you). However, they can find no Scriptural backing for that except for the broader view - which knows nothing of denominations within Christendom - found in the Bible.
Some even say other christian religions outside their denomination will have the same fate. Even considering that some of those denominations are very recent in human history and relatively small in numbers.
That is a patently unscriptural view, and they are in serious error who hold to it.
And what about theo whole judgement thing after the end of the world?
See the book of Revelation. Lots of imagery and symbolism, thus hard to interpret on many points. However, one thing is abundantly clear: If you truly confess Christ as Lord, and hold him as such in your heart, then your name "is written in the Lamb's book of life", and you will be saved (Rev 20:15; see also Rev. 3:20).

Oh, and Ghost?... Thx. That was interesting about the Jewish deal on forgiveness. Is it the Conservative or Reformed view (or both)?

As for the Christian view, it goes like this: All sin is ultimately an offense against God, therefore He has the ultimate power to forgive you or not. Therefore, it is irrelevant whether or not the other party forgives you, so long as He does. That said, it is still incumbent upon a believer to seek forgiveness from the other party whenever/wherever possible. It is the "fruit" of your repentant heart to do so, and serves to demonstrate that to the other party.

See the book of Revelation. Lots of imagery and symbolism, thus hard to interpret on many points. However, one thing is abundantly clear: If you truly confess Christ as Lord, and hold him as such in your heart, then your name "is written in the Lamb's book of life", and you will be saved (Rev 20:15; see also Rev. 3:20).

All right, so for some people, there will be no judgment. So all christians, 100% of them, are immune to judgment? But the question remains. Is there are judgment? Will non-Christians be judged, or will they go straight to hell? If non-Christians are to be judged, have they any chance to go to be saved and go to heaven?

If Christians and non-Christians alike don't need to be judged, who will be judged? What would such judgment be about?

So far I didn’t hear an answer on this.

If you are truly ashamed and feel sorry about it, you shall ask for forgiveness 3 times, if the person denies the pardon. You are considerated as forgiven even if the person don´t want to forgive you.

Seriously? What if the victim doesn't even want to talk to the sinner? What if the victim has a restraining order, or something? If it was a terrible and violent sin, it might be very disturbing for have the person "harassing" him or her like this. The use of the word "harassing" is from the victim's standpoint.

If you killed that person....i don´t know, maybe talking with the family or maybe God can forgive you (of course you must feel sorry)

Perhaps this also apply to cases where you can't really find the victim, or sins commited against a large number of people.

If you can´t forgive yourself maybe God acts at his best judgment of the situation, i can´t say it for sure.

Thanks for the information, it was very interesting!

Oh, and Ghost?... Thx. That was interesting about the Jewish deal on forgiveness. Is it the Conservative or Reformed view (or both)?

I think that works for both.

Only time for a quick reply before class...

Is there are judgment? Will non-Christians be judged, or will they go straight to hell? If non-Christians are to be judged, have they any chance to go to be saved and go to heaven?
Yes.

All people who lived, are living, and ever will live will be there before God for judgement, Christian and non-Christian. In Jesus we have a "way out", who took the punishment of death for us. Christians are those who accept this "way out".

Sorry, I'll try to elaborate later or tomorrow, gotta go...

So Christians face no judgment, regardless of what terrible acts they may have committed? I'm not talking about someone bad who converts before he dies, but a Christians that becomes corrupted.

Also, if the non-Christians are facing a judgment, this means they can also be saved, right? A judgment must have at least 2 results (heaven or hell), or maybe a third (purgatory) depending on what you believe in. But that's not the issue. If non-Christians were going automatically to hell, as some defend, there would be no point in having a judgment.

Something thats always confused me was that Jesus said something like "All who follow me shall have a place in my father's kingdom".

So does that mean all those countless people before him are in some purgatory/limbo/black cabin?

All right, so for some people, there will be no judgment. So all christians, 100% of them, are immune to judgment? But the question remains. Is there are judgment? Will non-Christians be judged, or will they go straight to hell? If non-Christians are to be judged, have they any chance to go to be saved and go to heaven?
...If Christians and non-Christians alike don't need to be judged, who will be judged? What would such judgment be about?

...So far I didn't hear an answer on this.

...Seriously? What if the victim doesn't even want to talk to the sinner? What if the victim has a restraining order, or something?

...I'm not talking about someone bad who converts before he dies, but a Christians that becomes corrupted.

Also, if the non-Christians are facing a judgment, this means they can also be saved, right? A judgment must have at least 2 results (heaven or hell), or maybe a third (purgatory) depending on what you believe in. But that's not the issue. If non-Christians were going automatically to hell, as some defend, there would be no point in having a judgment.
Good answer, Wedge!...

Now to add my own:

(1) There WILL most definitely be judgement for ALL, whether Christian or not. The key is, those who've placed their trust in Christ will experience the awesomely humbling sight of Jesus Himself coming up to God the Father when that person's name is called, and (essentially) saying "Father, I paid the price for this one; s/he's mine". Then God will basically say. "OK. Next?..." Pretty awesome!... As to non-Christians, my Mom always used to say "you always have to leave room for the mercy of God", and once I became a Christian, I found out how right she is. It may well be that God will have mercy on some nonbelievers, but the basic guideline is what has been presented here time & again: Only those who know Him can be assured of their place in heaven. All others (except for the occasional case here & there where God may decide to show such mercy) will be condemned.

(2) Ghost answered that point when he said that after you seek forgiveness 3 times, if they refuse to forgive you, then God will take care of it and do the forgiving Himself.

(3) The general (broad) view is that no Christian can become so corrupted as to lose their salvation. Essentially the idea is, if you thought you were saved and then go on to become a Hitler or something, you were never really saved in the first place. This is where the "by their fruits you shall know them" idea comes in. This is why Paul urges believers to examine themselves to be sure they are of the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5). Also it's key to remember here that there is always hope for any one, up to the very moment of death - like the thief on the cross next to Christ.

(4) As to there being "no point in having a judgment", I guess it comes down to semantics, but there most definitely IS a point to having a judgment. The point is this: God's glory will be fully revealed for all to see, "both in heaven and on the earth and under the earth". Part of this glory is His absolute right to pardon and condemn. When a Christian is pardoned thru their faith in Christ, all flesh will gasp in awe and amazement and praise to the God who alone loved men enough to die for them and pardon their sins who believe in His Son. When a non-believer is sent eternally out of God's presence, all will shudder in horror and trembling that this same God has now revealed His righteous wrath against all who refused to believe.
Originally posted by LeHah

Something thats always confused me was that Jesus said something like "All who follow me shall have a place in my father's kingdom".

So does that mean all those countless people before him are in some purgatory/limbo/black cabin?
No, not at all. The problem with that question is, it gets really deep into scriptural study to be able to answer it fully, so it doesn't lend itself to being answered fully in a forum like this. That said, I'll nonetheless attempt to "bottom line" it here. Here goes:

1) Those "B.C." folks you mentioned (before Christ) are in the same places that all of us will go when we check out of Hotel Earth: Either Heaven or Hell (Yeah, I know the RCC holds that there's a "purgatory", but I've never seen that position defended Scripturally, so there's no point in bothering to include that in this discussion).
2) The basis for God's decision as to which BCers go to heaven and which go to hell are essentially the same as those of us after Christ, only minus the 'Jesus element'. BCers couldn't believe in a crucified Savior who hadn't come yet (Jesus, the Son of God) , but they certainly could believe in God the Father (who sent Jesus later on). Thus, any individuals who worshipped and revered the God of Israel as he ordained for Himself to be worshipped (details found all throughout the OT), and who were truly sorry and repentant for their sins before Him, would likely be "saved", and thus enter God's presence when they died. Evidence of this is found in the Transfiguration on the Mount (Matt 17:1-6), when Moses and Elijah (both long-dead by then) appeared and spoke with Jesus. Obviously, this would not have happeneed if either of these guys went to hell after death, so we know of at least two human residents of heaven by name. Likewise, it is generally accepted that most all of the OT patriarchs/prophets are probably there, from Noah to Jacob to Micah, and a few kings as well (David, Josiah, Hezekaiah).
3) It boils down to this (and I've made this point earlier in this thread, and also some other threads I've chimed in on in the past): God has progressively revealed Himself to mankind, bit by bit over the millenia, until, "in the fullness of time" (Galatians 4:4-5), He sent His Son to die on a cruel Roman cross for the sins of the world. BC folks would essentially be judged based on how well they fulfilled their duty to God based on whatever degree of knowledge of God had been revealed up to that point in time. Since Christ is "the fullness of God revealed", after the resurrection there was nothing more for God to reveal of Himself, until we get to meet him in heaven, where "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" (1 Corinthians 2:9).

Hope that helps.

Well, this thread is proving that, unlike previously thought, it’s possible to have a good forum conversation on religion that, not only doesn’t turn into a knife fight, but also is very interesting.

I found it very useful, not only for the things I read here, but also because of the information I had to research to base my points.

Preacher, your last post reveals that there’s room for unbelievers to not go to hell if they are good. In other words, the very point I mentioned earlier, and the very source of intense theological dispute between on Christians.

This idea, defended by the Roman Catholic Church and others (like the Orthodox Catholics and Anglicans, I think) is that neither non-Christians automatically go to hell, nor Christians (at least from a formal point of view) automatically go to heaven. It seems to me your that last message did not completely dismiss this concept, correct?

Preacher, your last post reveals that there's room for unbelievers to not go to hell if they are good. In other words, the very point I mentioned earlier, and the very source of intense theological dispute between on Christians.

Um, no it doesn't; go back & read the post again, I never said that. I never said anything about 'being good' because Scripture states quite unequivocally that no one is "good enough" to enter heaven. I said that it is conceivable that God may choose to have mercy on certain individuals, period.

This decision would be based on the sovereign counsel of His own will, and is not open to human scrutiny or question. That this is most definitely NOT based on one's "goodness" is indicated by the use of the word "mercy". After all, if someone is good enough, no mercy would be needed, right?... The bottom line is not even Christians are "good enough". In order to be good enough, one would have to be perfect, as God Himself is perfect. Not even the craziest, drunkest patients I've ever taken care of have dared claim that they were perfect... The difference is, the Father credits the all-sufficient goodness of Christ to a believer's account, and it thus wipes out our unworthiness. This is the same principle by which "God credited Abraham's belief to him as righteousness" (Genesis 15:6), and he became the Father of many nations, and the only man called "the friend of God" in the Scriptures.

This idea...is that neither non-Christians automatically go to hell, nor Christians (at least from a formal point of view) automatically go to heaven. It seems to me your that last message did not completely dismiss this concept, correct?
Not exactly.

For one, Christians DO automatically go to heaven, both from a formal and informal point of view. I can't think of how I could've made that any clearer than I have in my posts thus far (see esp. my last post here).

As to non-believers, the fact that a little mercy might enter into the mix in the Last Day (for only a select few) doesn't significantly change the equation at all. A select few out of several billion that will have lived & died by then is such a low yield as to be negligible.

The bottom line is this: God has laid out rather clearly what His Plan is, and we need to take heed to it. Sure, if you die in unbelief, God may choose in the End to show you His mercy, but are you seriously willing to take that long-shot of a chance?... After all, this is eternity we're talking about. That is why NOW is the time to believe; TODAY is the day for repentance, while you still have the chance; no one is guaranteed another sunrise, nor another breath, not even another heartbeat.

For one, Christians DO automatically go to heaven, both from a formal and informal point of view. I can't think of how I could've made that any clearer than I have in my posts thus far (see esp. my last post here).

There are Christians in history that did some very bad things. So, from a formal point of view, someone raised like a Christians that does the most terrible acts of brutality, will go to heaven just because of a formality? To say "so he wasn't truly a Christian" is an invalid argument since you said that formality is enough.

Have you ever saw the movie “Dogma”?

As to non-believers, the fact that a little mercy might enter into the mix in the Last Day (for only a select few) doesn't significantly change the equation at all. A select few out of several billion that will have lived & died by then is such a low yield as to be negligible.

I must disagree with you here. What did you mean, "a little mercy"? The Loving God has more than "a little" Mercy.

How in the world did you come up with the statistics like that? Why just a few and not millions? It’s the Almighty God’s decision.

The debate is that some Christians say it’s utterly impossible for non-Christians to enter in heaven, while other says it is not. It’s either impossible or not.

So for the Christianity just being Christian grants you access to the heaven,pareadise no matter what he did/do?

So what things and who will be judged in the judgement day?

If you believe in Jesus you automatically enter into the paradise?

Is Jesus like a *safe card*?

I don't think so. I think you need to do things like confess your sins and live by the Ten Commandments. But it can get tricky here, with things like soldiers killing or farmers having to put down animals. (Though shall not kill).

So for the Christianity just being Christian grants you access to the heaven,pareadise no matter what he did/do?

So what things and who will be judged in the judgement day?

If you believe in Jesus you automatically enter into the paradise?

Is Jesus like a *safe card*?

Yep.

Everyone else.

Yep. And

Yep.

Back