And for some Humor...

Originally posted by Delance

While I can't speak of God's decision regarding unborn children with such confidence, I can certainly understand the feeling. I always used to wonder why there is a relatively large age gap between me and my brother and I found out that I have several siblings who never made it... but I think that miscarriages are supposed to be quite common anyway.
Medically, we know that the majority of miscarriages that occur are because of some genetic flaw in the child. Speaking to your experience, mine is much the same. Not withstanding the timing of them, my Mom lost 6 other pregnancies besides the 3 of us she gave birth to, making for a total of 7 brothers/sisters (one pregnancy was a set of twins) I will also get to meet in heaven. We do know theologically that they have souls, in that the Bible gives ample evidence of this (see the Psalms, and various other references to how God "knew" or "called" people while they were still in the womb).

You are a Christian if you are baptized. The first 1st Communion is the fist time a Christians participates in the Holy Eucharist. It's one of the seven sacraments of the Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and some other Christian churches. Not all Christians Churches have those sacraments and traditions.
Not exactly. As has been said elsewhere, baptism is an outward sign of one's faith, but it is entirely possible to get baptized while in a state of unbelief (my RCC baptism, for example, which occurred - as most RCC baptisms do - while I was still an infant).

As far as I know, the Roman Catholic Church say Babies go to heaven for way before the protestant movement. But where's the doubt about this? Who are the Christians that say that babies don't go to heaven? I don't know any, myself.
Good point.

It's one of the seven sacraments
Yep, it is a sacrament, but again, the sacraments themselves are only signs of God's grace, not the means of salvation
Originally posted by Wedge009

Established? Where? The whole idea of "What happens to babies if they die?" falls under the group of difficult questions people throw at Christians (whether innocently or through spite).
Well, it's not established in the Bible per se, but it is more of an implicit kind of thing. All we know EXplicitly is that they do have souls (see above).

Mmm, that probably why I didn't recognise its supposed significance. I still say Communion is just a practice, not a necessity in being Christian.
You are correct if by that you mean that it is not necessary for salvation. However, it IS a necessity in that Christ commanded the apostles to establish this practice (1 Corinthians 11:24). It is a matter of obedience.
Originally posted by Ghost

It´s like:
Jesus: '' the are my followers i take care of them'' ?
And what happens to people form othe religions?, God judges them for their actions so he can say if they go to ''heaven'' or ''hell''?
Yes, basically, although again, it's not so much for one's actions as it is for one's acceptance or rejection of Yeshua as Ha Meshiach.

Interesting, for the jews there isn´t a ''material place or state'' called Hell, only a separation from the prescence of God, and that is when you are alive, not dead.
After the Resurrection Day (we don´t have a Judgment Day)
Everyone will be resurrected by God (no matter what religion you follow), that is the reason because the jews can´t be cremated, ''buried in the sea'', or can´t donate organs, so you can be resurrected as you were in your live, also the lower side of the coffin must be opened so you can truly go back to the dust or earth
I believe (after reading some books) that the vision of the ''christian burning hell'' was created to scare people and to gain followers, the original meaning of the hell (Golgota, Gehenna) was a hill near Jerusalem were the people dumped the trash, it was a nasty place with bad odour,wild animals,infestations and some other bad things.
Interesting, Ghost...

Actually, though, Hell was envisioned by the church as this state of burning torment for more than just the reasons you stated. For one, there is ample Scriptural evidence that flames are involved, from various descriptions given in the text. Second, we humans are visual creatures, and it helps to be able to have some visual concept of what it's like, so the early church was aware of this and provided a description. Finally, eternal separation from God is indeed the bottom-line Christian concept of hell also. As to whether it's an actual place, Scripture isn't overly clear on that, but as long as you are separated from God, does anything else really matter?...

Yes, and before that the virtuous lived by the ''laws'' that God gave to Noah
... This of course if you are christian, i dont think that my ''alternative way'' is infinitely worse, nor that i will burn in the ''christian hell''...
...But must be a true repent,right?
--- Actually, it was the laws given to *Moses*, no?... I don't recall a mention of Him giving any laws to Noah, and in any event, the decalogue (10 C"s) was to Moses, who came later.
--- I wouldn't expect a Jew to see it our way, until/unless they became a Christian (although I've known a couple great brothers in Christ who did so, and were Jews).
--- Yes, the repentance must be "true".
The idea is, sin breaks God's heart, so if you are one of his children (having accepted Christ into your heart, and having the Holy Spirit living within you), the Spirit will move you to likewise become brokenhearted over your sin, and you will "truly" repent.

Originally posted by Preacher
--- Actually, it was the laws given to *Moses*, no?... I don't recall a mention of Him giving any laws to Noah, and in any event, the decalogue (10 C"s) was to Moses

Yes but beofre Moses there wasn´t any compendium of laws.
And that is why i wrote ''laws'', maybe the proper term is ''code''
Before the Flood it was forbidden to humans to eat meat and some other things, that was changed after the Flood, God gave some codes to Noah so he can follow it.
Much as God did 10 generations later with Abraham.

And speaking of YEshua ha mashiaj:
I think that Jesus was a Rabbi and a revolutionary in his time, but the things that are written in the OT books about the Mashiaj weren´t fullfiled with Jesus,so that is basically (and very basically) why the jews don´t accept him as mashiaj.

...I think that Jesus was a Rabbi and a revolutionary in his time, but the things that are written in the OT books about the Mashiaj weren´t fullfiled with Jesus,so that is basically (and very basically) why the jews don´t accept him as mashiaj.
Um, like what, for example?...

I could cite for you - if I had the time & space here - dozens, mebbe even hundreds of prophecies about Meshiach that WERE fulfilled in Him (for example, He was of the line of David both thru Mary AND thru His human father Joseph, and He WAS born in Bethlehem, the "City of David", etc....), but I'm intrigued to know which ones you think weren't, and why... Plz elaborate...

Preacher, down there you quoted me for something Wedge said.

Anyway, Preacher and Ghost, might I say that this debate you are entering now has already been done a very large number of times for bascially 2.000 years? Seriously, back in the 30's... the actual 30's, not the 1930's).

Um, like what, for example?...

I could cite for you - if I had the time & space here - dozens, mebbe even hundreds of prophecies about Meshiach that WERE fulfilled in Him (for example, He was of the line of David both thru Mary AND thru His human father Joseph, and He WAS born in Bethlehem, the "City of David", etc....), but I'm intrigued to know which ones you think weren't, and why... Plz elaborate...

Well many jews were (are) ''ben David''

But basically:

-A Golden Jerusalem
-Peace on the world
-All the world recognizing God as the true god.
-A New Israel Kingdom
-And what is written in the Isaiah book about the Kingdom Come.

I will search for more later.

-A Golden Jerusalem
-Peace on the world
-All the world recognizing God as the true god.
-A New Israel Kingdom
-And what is written in the Isaiah book about the Kingdom Come.

I will search for more later.
Ah.

The prophecies you cited above are all prophecies that have yet to be fulfilled, and they all will be one day - at the Second Coming of Christ (which, for all appearances, could be just around the corner).

I realize that sounds like a cop-out, but it really isn't; the bottom line is, has there yet been anyone to come along who has fulfilled one, or even a few of the Messianic prophecies?... If so, the observant student of Hebrew Scripture would do well to take heed, and investigate that person thoroughly. The fact that some of the prophecies (like the ones you mentioned) remain yet unfulfilled is dwarfed by the fact of the number that HAVE so far been fulfilled in Yeshua (see below)

As I'd cited previously, Christ has fulfilled scores, mebbe hundreds (I used to know the exact number, but it escapes me at the moment. I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in 3 figures). Someone once calculated the odds of any one man fulfilling even a dozen of the prophecies as being (I believe) over several billlion to one; here we have guy who has fulfilled several times that. A good example is Isaiah 53. This is a chapter that is looked at by Christendom as being about the Messiah (do the Jews also regard it as being Messianic?...), and was written about 800 years before Christ. Yeshua has fulfilled this passage in, well, excruciating detail...

Anyway, I'd like to hear more of the prophecies you were talking about. Hopefully you cite some that would've applied to His first coming, and we can get into a convo about 'em. I look forward to it

Oh, and Delance: When I "batch-respond" to posts like that, sometimes I get the authors mixed up. Sorry about that.

Well, there are some things that i collected from jew sites across the internet :

Scriptural References
In order to understand anything in the Torah one must look at the original Hebrew. You will see that the Christians distorted, changed and misinterpreted many of the Hebrew words in order to fit things into their beliefs. The two places that you mentioned are good examples. In Psalm 22:17 the Hebrew states "hikifuni ca'ari yaday veraglay" which means "they bound me (hikifuni) like a lion (ca-like ari-lion), my hands (yaday) and my feet (ve-and raglay-my feet). The Christians translate this as "they pierced my hands and feet". Nowhere in the entire Torah, Prophets and Writings do the words ca'ari or hikifuny mean anything remotely resembling "pierce".

In Isaiah 7:14 the Hebrew states "hinei ha'almah harah veyoledet ben" "behold (hineih) the young woman (ha - the almah- young woman) is pregnant (harah) and shall give birth (ve-and yoledet-shall give birth) to a son (ben)". The Christians translate this as "behold a virgin shall give birth." They have made two mistakes (probably deliberate) in the one verse. They mistranslate "ha" as "a" instead of "the". They mistranslate "almah" as "virgin", when in fact the Hebrew word for virgin is "betulah". Aside from the fact that if you read the context of that prediction you will see clearly that it is predicting an event that was supposed to happen and be seen by king Achaz who lived 700 years before Jesus!

Genealogy
He was not descended from the House of David. According to Jewish law, tribal identification comes from the father's side, being Jewish, from the mother's side. According to Matthew 1, Joseph was descended from David (Although there are many contradictions between his genealogy there and that listed in Luke, however according to the same text, Joseph did not have sexual relations with Mary, therefore Jesus was not related to Joseph, and not a descendant of King David.

Three answers to this problem are given in classic Christian sources:

The genealogy is that of Mary - This is inadequate, since if he is claimed to be the Jewish messiah, and according to Jewish tradition he must be descended on his father's side, Mary's genealogy is irrelevant.

He was adopted by Joseph -According to Jewish law, adoption does not change the status of the child. If an Israelite is adopted by a Cohen, (A descendant of Aaron the High Priest), the child does not become a Cohen, likewise if a descendant of David, adopts someone who is not, he does not become of the tribe of Judah and a descendant of David.

It doesn't matter, he was a spiritual inheritor of King David - If it doesn't matter, why do Christian scriptures spend time establishing his genealogical pedigree? And if he is claimed to be the Jewish messiah, then according to Jewish tradition it does matter!

Messianic Predictions
The main predictions concerning the Messiah are that he will bring peace to the world, gather the Jewish people from their exile to the land of Israel and rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem. After Jesus' appearance, the Temple was destroyed, the Jews were exiled all over the world and we have not even had one day of peace in the past 2,000 years. (Many of the wars in fact were started and fought by followers of Jesus) These events are enough to show that he was not the messiah.

The main Christian responses to these objections are:

The Second Coming - First of all, we find this to be a contrived answer, since there is no mention of a second coming in the Jewish Bible. Second, why couldn't G-d accomplish His goals the first time round. Most importantly, the second coming idea is just an attempt at answering an obvious question but it certainly does not constitute proof of messianic claims.

There is peace within his followers hearts - That is wonderful for them, but does that help the victims of the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Hundred Years War, the First World War, the Second World War etc. In each of the events that I mentioned most if not all the combatants, the violent oppressors and torturers where people who claimed to be followers of Jesus. And is peace in the heart a fulfillment of "swords into plowshares etc."

Messiah's Qualifications
Messiah is a prophet, a scholar and a pious king. Jesus made a prediction that "The time is fulfilled, the kingdom of God is at hand." (Mark 1:15) That was 2000 years ago, has the kingdom of God come? Do you call the holocaust, Pol Pot and Stalin a world in which the kingdom of God has come? Jesus was not a great scholar - one of the requirements of the Messiah. Was Jesus a king? He was not anointed as king by a prophet (as was the rule in Jewish kings), he was not appointed by any judicial body as a leader and he did not rule over the Jewish people nor was he accepted by them. He was arrested, tortured and killed by the Romans like a common criminal. He had no army or government. The answer to my question is an obvious, "no."

JESUS - NOT A DEITY
The Trinity
The Christian idea of a trinity contradicts the most basic tenet of Judaism - that G-d is One. Jews have declared their belief in a single unified G-d twice daily ever since the giving of the Torah at Sinai - almost two thousand years before Christianity.

The trinity suggests a three part deity: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost (Matthew 28:19).

In Jewish law, worship of a three-part god is considered idolatry; one of the three cardinal sins for which a person should rather give up his life than transgress. The idea of the trinity is absolutely incompatible with Judaism.

Physical Manifestation
Christianity believes that G-d came down to earth in human form, as Jesus said: "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30).

The Torah states that G-d cannot not take any form.:

"You will not be able to see My face, for no human can see my face and live" (Exodus 33:18-20)

"You did not see any form on the day G-d spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of fire" (Deuteronomy 4:15)

As little as we may know about G-d's nature, Judaism has always believed that G-d is Incorporeal, meaning that He assumes no physical form. G-d is Eternal, He is Infinite; above time and beyond space. He cannot be born, and cannot die.

CHANGES TO THE LAW
Christianity denies the eternal relevance of Torah Law, basing the concept of the New Testament on a mistranslation of a verse in Jeremia.
In Jeremia 31:30 the Hebrew states: "Henei yamim baim Neum Hashem VeCharati Brit Chadash" They translate: "Behold, days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new Testament with the house of Israel "

"Brit" does not mean Testament. Throughout Scripture "Brit" means covenant. See for example Genesis 17:2, 15:18 Exodus 24:8, Leviticus 26:42, Numbers 25:12.

It is a fundamental principle of Judaism that the Torah received at Sinai will never be changed nor become obsolete. This concept is mentioned in the Torah no less than 24 times, with the words:

"This is an eternal law for all generations"

(Exodus 12:14, 12:17, 12:43, 27:21, 28:43, Leviticus 3:17, 7:36, 10:9, 16:29, 16:31, 16:34, 17:7, 23:14, 23:21, 23:31, 23:41, 24:3, Numbers 10:8, 15:15, 19:10, 19:21, 18:23, 35:29, Deuteronomy29:28)

It is absurd to accept the Divine origin of the Torah yet deny it's eternal relevance. Judaism is a religion of action; it has always taught that through performance of the commandments one declares the belief of the heart. To dispense with the legal body of the Torah and reduce it to a book of morals would cut it down to less than half it's size. Can this really be the meaning of those words an eternal law for all generations?

An analisys of Isaiah

A. PRELIMINARY ISSUES
Before engaging in an examination of Isaiah 53 itself, some preliminary issues must be considered. First is the issue of circular reasoning. Even if we interpret the chapter as the Christians do (forgetting for a minute the mistranslations and distortions of context which will be noted below), the most that could be said is this: Isaiah 53 is about someone who dies for the sins of others. People may have seen Jesus die, but did anyone see him die as an atonement for the sins of others? Of course not; this is simply the meaning which the New Testament gives to his death. Only if you already accept the New Testament teaching that his death had a non-visible, spiritual significance can you than go back to Isaiah and say, "see - the Prophet predicted what I already believe." Isaiah 53, then, is in reality no "proof" at all, but rather a contrived confirmation for someone who has already chosen Christianity.

Second (and consistent with all Jewish teaching at the time), Jesus' own disciples didn't view Isaiah 53 as a messianic prophecy. For example, after Peter identifies Jesus as the Messiah (Matt. 16:16), he is informed that Jesus will be killed (Matt. 16:21). His response: "G-D forbid it, lord! This shall never happen to you" (Matt. 16:22). See, also, Mk. 9:31-32; Mk. 16:10-11; Jn. 20:9. Even Jesus didn't see Isaiah 53 as crucial to his messianic claims - why else did he call the Jews children of the devil for not believing in him before the alleged resurrection (Jn. 8:39-47)? And why did he later request that G-D "remove this cup from me" (Mk. 14:36) - didn't he know that a "removal of the cup" would violate the gentile understanding of Isaiah 53?

And third, even if we accept the gentile Christian interpretation of Isaiah 53, where is it indicated (either in Isaiah 53 or anywhere else in our Jewish Scriptures) that you must believe in this "Messiah" to get the benefits?

B. CONTEXT
Since any portion of Scripture is only understood properly when viewed in the context of G-D's revelation as a whole, some additional study will be helpful before you "tackle" Isaiah 53.

Look at the setting in which Isaiah 53 occurs. Earlier on in Isaiah, G-D had predicted exile and calamity for the Jewish people. Chapter 53, however, occurs in the midst of Isaiah's "Messages of Consolation", which tell of the restoration of Israel to a position of prominence and a vindication of their status as G-D's chosen people. In chapter 52, for example, Israel is described as "oppressed without cause" (v.4) and "taken away" (v.5), yet G-D promises a brighter future ahead, one in which Israel will again prosper and be redeemed in the sight of all the nations (v.1-3, 8-12).

Chapter 54 further elaborates upon the redemption which awaits the nation of Israel. Following immediately after chapter 53's promise of a reward for G-D's servant in return for all of its suffering (53:10-12), chapter 54 describes an unequivocally joyous fate for the Jewish people. Speaking clearly of the Jewish people and their exalted status (even according to all Christian commentaries), chapter 54 ends as follows: "`This is the heritage of the servants of the L-rd and their vindication is from Me,' declares the L-rd."

C. ISAIAH 53
In the original Hebrew texts, there are no chapter divisions, and Jew and Christian alike agree that chapter 53 is actually a continuation of the prophecy which begins at 52:13. Accordingly, our analysis must begin at that verse.

52:13 "Behold, My servant will prosper." Israel in the singular is called G-D's servant throughout Isaiah, both explicitly (Isa. 41:8-9; 44:1-2; 45:4; 48:20; 49:3) and implicitly (Isa. 42:19-20; 43:10) - the Messiah is not. Other references to Israel as G-D's servant include Jer. 30:10 (note that in Jer. 30:17, the servant Israel is regarded by the nations as an outcast, forsaken by G-D, as in Isa. 53:4); Jer. 46:27-28; Ps. 136:22; Lk. 1:54. ALSO: Given the Christian view that Jesus is G-D, is G-D His own servant?

52:15 - 53:1 "So shall he (the servant) startle many nations, the kings will stand speechless; For that which had not been told them they shall see and that which they had not heard shall they ponder. Who would believe what we have heard?" Quite clearly, the nations and their kings will be amazed at what happens to the "servant of the L-rd," and they will say "who would believe what we have heard?". 52:15 tells us explicitly that it is the nations of the world, the gentiles, who are doing the talking in Isaiah 53. See, also, Micah 7:12-17, which speaks of the nations' astonishment when the Jewish people again blossom in the Messianic age.

53:1 "And to whom has the arm of the L-rd been revealed?" In Isaiah, and throughout our Scriptures, G-D's "arm" refers to the physical redemption of the Jewish people from the oppression of other nations (see, e.g., Isa. 52:8-12; Isa. 63:12; Deut. 4:34; Deut. 7:19; Ps. 44:3).

53:3 "Despised and rejected of men." While this is clearly applicable to Israel (see Isa. 60:15; Ps. 44:13-14), it cannot be reconciled with the New Testament account of Jesus, a man who was supposedly "praised by all" (Lk. 4:14-15) and followed by multitudes (Matt. 4:25), who would later acclaim him as a prophet upon his triumphal entry into Jerusalem (Matt. 21:9-11). Even as he was taken to be crucified, a multitude bemoaned his fate (Lk. 23:27). Jesus had to be taken by stealth, as the rulers feared "a riot of the people" (Mk. 14:1-2).

53:3 "A man of pains and acquainted with disease." Israel's adversities are frequently likened to sickness - see, e.g., Isa. 1:5-6; Jer. 10:19; Jer 30:12.

53:4 "Surely our diseases he carried and our pains he bore." In Matt. 8:17, this is correctly translated, and said to be literally (not spiritually) fulfilled in Jesus' healing of the sick, a reading inconsistent with the Christian mistranslation of 53:4 itself.

53:4 "Yet we ourselves esteemed him stricken, smitten of G- D and afflicted." See Jer. 30:17 - of G-D's servant Israel (30:10), it is said by the nations, "It is Zion; no one cares for her."

53:5 "But he was wounded from (NOTE: not for) our transgressions, he was crushed from (AGAIN: not for) our iniquities." Whereas the nations had thought the Servant (Israel) was undergoing Divine retribution for its sins (53:4), they now realize that the Servant's sufferings stemmed from their actions and sinfulness. This theme is further developed throughout our Jewish Scriptures - see, e.g., Jer. 50:7; Jer. 10:25. ALSO: Note that the Messiah "shall not fail nor be crushed till he has set the right in the earth" (Isa. 42:4).

53:7 "He was oppressed and he was afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth. Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, and like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, so he did not open his mouth." Note that in the prior chapter (Isa. 52), Israel is said to have been oppressed and taken away without cause (52:4-5). A similar theme is developed in Psalm 44, wherein King David speaks of Israel's faithfulness even in the face of gentile oppression (44:17- 18) and describes Israel as "sheep to be slaughtered" in the midst of the unfaithful gentile nations (44:22,11).

Regarding the claim that Jesus "did not open his mouth" when faced with oppression and affliction, see Matt. 27:46, Jn. 18:23, 36-37.

53:8 "From dominion and judgement he was taken away." Note the correct translation of the Hebrew. The Christians are forced to mistranslate, since - by Jesus' own testimony - he never had any rights to rulership or judgement, at least not on the "first coming." See, e.g., Jn. 3:17; Jn. 8:15; Jn. 12:47; Jn. 18:36.

53:8 "He was cut off out of the land of the living."

53:9 "His grave was assigned with wicked men." See Ez. 37:11-14, wherein Israelis described as "cut off" and G-D promises to open its "graves" and bring Israel back into its own land. Other examples of figurative deaths include Ex. 10:17; 2 Sam. 9:8; 2 Sam. 16:9.

53:8 "From my peoples' sins, there was injury to them." Here the Prophet makes absolutely clear, to anyone familiar with Biblical Hebrew, that the oppressed Servant is a collective Servant, not a single individual. The Hebrew word "lamoh", when used in our Scriptures, always means "to them" never "to him" and may be found, for example, in Psalm 99:7 - "They kept his testimonies, and the statute that He gave to them."

53:9 "And with the rich in his deaths." Perhaps King James should have changed the original Hebrew, which again makes clear that we are dealing with a collective Servant, i.e., Israel, which will "come to life" when the exile ends (Ez. 37:14).

53:9 "He had done no violence." See Matt. 21:12; Mk. 11:15-16; Lk. 19:45; Lk. 19:27; Matt. 10:34 and Lk. 12:51; then judge for yourself whether this passage is truly consistent with the New Testament account of Jesus.

53:10 "He shall see his seed." The Hebrew word for "seed", used in this verse, always refers to physical descendants in our Jewish Scriptures. See, e.g., Gen. 12:7; Gen. 15:13; Gen. 46:6; Ex. 28:43. A different word, generally translated as "sons", is used to refer to spiritual descendants (see Deut. 14:1, e.g.).

53:10 "He will prolong his days." Not only did Jesus die young, but how could the days be prolonged of someone who is alleged to be G-D?

53:11 "With his knowledge the righteous one, my Servant, will cause many to be just." Note again the correct translation: the Servant will cause many to be just, he will not "justify the many." The Jewish mission is to serve as a "light to the nations" which will ultimately lead the world to a knowledge of the one true G-D, this both by example (Deut. 4:5-8; Zech. 8:23) and by instructing the nations in G-D's Law (Isa. 2:3-4; Micah 4:2-3).

53:12 "Therefore, I will divide a portion to him with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the mighty." If Jesus is G-D, does the idea of reward have any meaning? Is it not rather the Jewish people - who righteously bore the sins of the world and yet remained faithful to G-D (Ps. 44) - who will be rewarded, and this in the manner described more fully in Isaiah chapters 52 and 54?

I must say, Ghost, I'm a bit disappointed, as I was hoping you'd bring us some of your own personal objections and difficulties that you have with the idea of Yeshua as Messiah. It is rather difficult to respond to such a voluminous post with expediency, since I would have to do quite a bit of research to be able to fully & adequately respond to many of the points raised. Nonetheless, I'll try to respond as best I can at the moment to the issues that I feel prepared to address, and will simply have to skip some and hold off on others until I am adequately prepared. That said, here's what I comment on at the moment:

The Trinity
The Christian idea of a trinity contradicts the most basic tenet of Judaism - that G-d is One. Jews have declared their belief in a single unified G-d twice daily ever since the giving of the Torah at Sinai - almost two thousand years before Christianity.
...The trinity suggests a three part deity: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.
...In Jewish law, worship of a three-part god is considered idolatry; one of the three cardinal sins for which a person should rather give up his life than transgress.
...The idea of the trinity is absolutely incompatible with Judaism (Elohim, let us make, etc.).
We also declare that God is One. The fact that he is "God in three persons, blessed Trinity" (as the song says) is a Divine mystery that we cannont fully explain or understand in our finite human state. However, it is certainly indicated by the Jewish text in that even way back during the Creation, God said "Let US create man in OUR own image" (emphasis mine), and the fact also that God is referred to in the OT as "Elohim", which is most definitely the PLURAL form ("-im") of the word. This is not some Christian invention (as your source seems to imply), it is the actual phrasing of the Hebrew text. There are other such instances too, but I can't recall 'em specifically at the moment. And notice that the source states "three part deity" (singular, indicating that the 3 are One, not "deities", which is of course plural...).

Christianity believes that G-d came down to earth in human form...
The Torah states that G-d cannot not take any form.:

"You will not be able to see My face, for no human can see my face and live"

"You did not see any form on the day G-d spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of fire"

As little as we may know about G-d's nature, Judaism has always believed that G-d is Incorporeal, meaning that He assumes no physical form. G-d is Eternal, He is Infinite; above time and beyond space. He cannot be born, and cannot die.
This is just plain incorrect. The bottom line the source is referring to is that God has no "native" physical form, and cannot be confined to a physical body as we are. In other words, it's not that God CANnot take any physical form, it's that He DOES not do so (meaning, his normal state of being is to not be constrained to a fleshly body). Moses wasn't allowed to see God's "face" per se, but the text speaks of God allowing Moses to glance his "back parts" as He passes by the cleft in the rock. Yet elsewhere, it is said that Moses spoke with God "face to face, as one speaks with his friend". How is that reconciled by your source's explanation?... Christianity likewise holds that God is Eternal, and in His essence, never was born nor can die. This, however, does not at all limit his ability to be physically "born" in a human form for, say, 33 years, and to have that body physically be "killed" on a cross. The fact that the infinite God intervenes through Human "time" and in our human "space" at ALL (by revealing Himself through the Patriarchs, priests, kings and prophets over thousands of years) indicates His explicit *willingness* to do so, for the sake of mankind's/Israel's redemption.

Christianity denies the eternal relevance of Torah Law, basing the concept of the New Testament on a mistranslation of a verse in Jeremia.... the Hebrew states:...They translate: "Behold, days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new Testament with the house of Israel "
..."Brit" does not mean Testament. Throughout Scripture "Brit" means covenant.
...It is a fundamental principle of Judaism that the Torah received at Sinai will never be changed nor become obsolete. This concept is mentioned in the Torah no less than 24 times, with the words:
..."This is an eternal law for all generations"
...It is absurd to accept the Divine origin of the Torah yet deny it's eternal relevance...To dispense with the legal body of the Torah and reduce it to a book of morals would cut it down to less than half it's size. Can this really be the meaning of those words an eternal law for all generations?
Again, your source is mistaken. There is no mistranslation here. For one, the language of the Christian Bible ALSO translates that word as "covenant"...makes me wonder where your source is getting their information. Secondly, Christ Himself states that He did not come to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it, and that "not a jot or tittle" of the Law will be altered or invalidated until "everything has been accomplished" (Matthew 5:17-19). Paul later states that the Law has not been negated by Christ, and has much to offer mankind to this day. Thus it is seen that neither Christ nor Paul views the Law as being "merely a book of morals", and thus its eternal relevance as a "law for all generations" is not negated. In brief, the whole dynamic of Christ's earthly life & ministry is not to deny the relevance/importance of the Law, but to establish that aforementioned "New Covenant"

An analisys of Isaiah:

...For example, after Peter identifies Jesus as the Messiah (Matt. 16:16), he is informed that Jesus will be killed (Matt. 16:21). His response: "G-D forbid it, lord! This shall never happen to you" (Matt. 16:22). See, also, Mk. 9:31-32; Mk. 16:10-11; Jn. 20:9. Even Jesus didn't see Isaiah 53 as crucial to his messianic claims - why else did he call the Jews children of the devil for not believing in him before the alleged resurrection (Jn. 8:39-47)? And why did he later request that G-D "remove this cup from me" (Mk. 14:36) - didn't he know that a "removal of the cup" would violate the gentile understanding of Isaiah 53?
Jesus was mainly referring to the Pharisees as "devils", whose strict legalism was enforced upon most of the rest of Jewry at the time, and prevented many from believing him (at least publicly, since we know that many even of the Sanhedrin believed in him, though only Joseph of Aromat is mentioned by name). He asked the Father about the cup because he was in angony of emotional anguish over his pending physical suffering. He was, after all, a human being, and most of us are afraid of death, esp. such a torturous death as He was about to endure. The key thing to remember (and that this source conveniently ignores) is that the question was but a momentary one, followed immediately by surrendering the "cup issue" to God, and accepting His will in the matter.

ALSO: Given the Christian view that Jesus is G-D, is G-D His own servant?
That question relates to the concept of the Trinity, which I've addressed elsewhere. Briefly, though, Jesus and God (and the Holy Spirit) are One, but having three personas. JC was God in human form, and as such, was His servant while down here.

52:15 tells us explicitly that it is the nations of the world, the gentiles, who are doing the talking in Isaiah 53. See, also, Micah 7:12-17, which speaks of the nations' astonishment when the Jewish people again blossom in the Messianic age.
Pardon me, but has the Jewish nation not "blossomed" since being regathered/restored in Israel c. 1948?... And the nations are most certainly astonished (not to mention their neighbor nations, mostly Muslim, who are quite vexed at their return/restoration!...). And, this is the "Messianic Age" if you believe in Yeshua as Messiah, in that He has come & established the Church, and until the End Times are here, this is generally known as the Era of the Church, which (for us) is fairly synonymous with the "Messianic" Age.

"And to whom has the arm of the L-rd been revealed?" In Isaiah, and throughout our Scriptures, G-D's "arm" refers to the physical redemption of the Jewish people from the oppression of other nations (see, e.g., Isa. 52:8-12; Isa. 63:12; Deut. 4:34; Deut. 7:19; Ps. 44:3).
As I said above, they HAVE been redeemd from the oppression of other nations. Doesn't mean they don't have troubles (from their neighbors especially), but they are not collectively in bondage under exile to some foreign power, and are all (the vast majority of them who wish to be, anyway) regathered in Israel today.

"Despised and rejected of men."...it cannot be reconciled with the New Testament account of Jesus, a man who was supposedly "praised by all" ..and followed by multitudes... who would later acclaim him as a prophet upon his triumphal entry into Jerusalem... Even as he was taken to be crucified, a multitude bemoaned his fate... Jesus had to be taken by stealth, as the rulers feared "a riot of the people"...
I'd make a strong argument here that someone who gets strung up on a cross is a pretty "despised" person. Also, it must be remembered that essentially the same crowd who hailed His entry into Jerusalem were the ones also who cried "Crucify him" less than a week later. Most of the common folk loved him, whereas most of the rulers hated Him. In the end, the common folk were so intimidated by the rulers that they got sucked in to crying for His death. Thus it is seen that their loyalty was greater to their rulers than to Christ. Sure they took him by stealth, but once he was run through the gauntlet of 7 kangaroo court trials, they no longer feared the crowd's reaction, as they were then sure they could incite the crowd to hate Him, too.

"Surely our diseases he carried and our pains he bore." In Matt. 8:17, this is correctly translated, and said to be literally (not spiritually) fulfilled in Jesus' healing of the sick, a reading inconsistent with the Christian mistranslation of 53:4 itself.
This simply comes down to a matter of belief. Jews may not believe that it was spiritually fulfilled, but anyone who believes Christ was Messiah knows quite well that it WAS fulfilled in his passion & death.
"But he was wounded from (NOTE: not for) our transgressions, he was crushed from (AGAIN: not for) our iniquities." Whereas the nations had thought the Servant (Israel) was undergoing Divine retribution for its sins (53:4), they now realize that the Servant's sufferings stemmed from their actions and sinfulness. This theme is further developed throughout our Jewish Scriptures - see, e.g., Jer. 50:7; Jer. 10:25. ALSO: Note that the Messiah "shall not fail nor be crushed till he has set the right in the earth" (Isa. 42:4).
What kind of doubletalk is that?... The wounding "from" vs. "for" is irrelevant, in that the net meaning is the same. And, this source says it wasn't for their sins, but for their "actions and sinfulness". That's like me saying I didn't drive to work in my car, I transported myself in my automobile. Duh!.

PART 2: Due to space limitations, had to chop off the tail end of my previous reply. Here is that second part of my response:

Regarding the claim that Jesus "did not open his mouth" when faced with oppression and affliction, see Matt. 27:46, Jn. 18:23, 36-37.
The meaning is figuratively true. It doesn't mean he didn't say a single syllable from the time of his arrest until His last breath, it means He didn't open His mouth to defend Himself when it was crucial to do so. Pilate ragged on JC because He had nothing to say in his defense (Matthew 27:13, Mark 15:4, ) railing "don't you know I have the power to crucify you or set you free?" (John 18:9-10). THAT would've been the time for Him to defend Himself, and he didn't utter a word in self-defense. Indeed, Pilate could be said to be the "shearer", and the Lamb of God was (essentially) "silent" before Him. Had he defended himself verbally, it's entirely possible that Pilate could've set Him free (since he was already inclined to try to find a way to get JC off the hook).

"He will prolong his days." Not only did Jesus die young, but how could the days be prolonged of someone who is alleged to be G-D?
I would make the point that "days" here refers to the 'days' of his reign and rule, which were not to be for his Incarnation (as the suffering servant), but reserved for His return in the future as righteous Judge and King.

"With his knowledge the righteous one, my Servant, will cause many to be just." Note again the correct translation: the Servant will cause many to be just, he will not "justify the many." The Jewish mission is to serve as a "light to the nations" which will ultimately lead the world to a knowledge of the one true G-D, this both by example (Deut. 4:5-8; Zech. 8:23) and by instructing the nations in G-D's Law (Isa. 2:3-4; Micah 4:2-3).
Same response here as one I had above: This source is just mincing words; to "cause (someone) to be just" and to "justify" (someone) are basically the same thing.

...If Jesus is G-D, does the idea of reward have any meaning? Is it not rather the Jewish people - who righteously bore the sins of the world and yet remained faithful to G-D (Ps. 44) - who will be rewarded, and this in the manner described more fully in Isaiah chapters 52 and 54?
You tell me: Does it befit a King to have a coronation?... Is same not a "reward" of sorts, to be publicly acknowledged and acclaimed as the good, righteous, sovereign Ruler, and to have all flesh see your glory and majesty?... Of course it does. And that is exactly the "reward" being spoken of here.
And, in our theology, in the last days the Jewish nation WILL finally themselves be rewarded for their faith in Messiah, as a good chunk of Israel will come to believe in Yeshua as Meshiach before the Last Day (see Revelation).

I must say, Ghost, I'm a bit disappointed, as I was hoping you'd bring us some of your own personal objections and difficulties that you have with the idea of Yeshua as Messiah.

From the web,books or whatever place ,those are my objections that is what i learnt and how i think after reading numerous books and talks with Rabbis and other things about the matter.
Also thought that was better to put that (that again is what i believe-know), to try to explain myself because my english isn´t so good, so there are many things that i can´t express or express them in an incorrect way.

Also those posts are for info only, i think that is pointless ,and isn´t my point (and isn´t in the spirit of the thread to settle the problem about if JEsus is or not the Messiah) to try to convince you that JEsus isn´t the messiah
As i´m sure that isn´t your point to try to convince me that JEsus is the messiah.

OTOH about the thing of ''MEssianich jews'' or ''Jews for Jesus'' they aren´t true jews, they are evangelics or other sect that try to bring jews to their group, Jews for JEsus, is an oxymoron, is like Christians for Buddah or Muslims for Pachamama.

And if you still want to be analitic about the theme you just explained everything based and mentioning chapters and versicules of the NT, and i didn´t saw a reply about your first (and maybe the most important) reason of why Jesus is the messiah,being from the House of David, and some others things that you mentioned or a reson of why is he the messiah, you just answered to my post about the Trinity and the analysis of Isaiah, but again. you didn´t added something about why is he the messiah.

Jews for JEsus, is an oxymoron, is like Christians for Buddah or Muslims for Pachamama.

Well, I don’t think that’s accurate. Christianity is not completely unrelated to Judaism as you seem to imply. The initial followers of Christ were Jews, and in fact some of those emphatically believed that only Jews could be true followers of Christ. So for that specific group, not only being a Jew was compatible with being a Christian but in fact it was pre-requisite. Jesus was a Jew. The first leader of the Christian Church was Peter. I’m not sure about this, and Preacher can probably confirm this, but I think the entire Christian Bible was written by Jews. We are not members of the “Judaic-Christian” civilization for nothing.

I'm not sure about the specific groups you were talking about, however. But the general idea is this.

That could be in the early days, before the first church and Peter and Paul going to Turkey,Greek,etc; and no it wasn´t a requisit to be jew to be a jesus follower that was one of the main problems between the early christians and the jews.

Originally posted by Aries
i just got one question: how is a great religious debate humorous (sp?)?
You need to develop a sense of irony, bub. :D

...The first leader of the Christian Church was Peter. I’m not sure about this, and Preacher can probably confirm this, but I think the entire Christian Bible was written by Jews. We are not members of the “Judaic-Christian” civilization for nothing.
Good points, Delance. And yes, the entire Bible was written by Jews, so far as we know (there are a few NT books - like The letter to the Hebrews - ironically enuff - where authorship is unclear.). The major writers of the NT were all apostles - Paul, Peter, John, Luke and their early Jewish brethren (James, John Mark).

And if you still want to be analitic ... i didn´t saw a reply about your first (and maybe the most important) reason of why Jesus is the messiah,being from the House of David, and some others things that you mentioned or a reson of why is he the messiah, you just answered to my post about the Trinity and the analysis of Isaiah, but again. you didn´t added something about why is he the messiah.
Yeah, I know. This weekend has been extremely busy; I will try to get back to post on some of those things this week, if I can find the time.

and no it wasn´t a requisit to be jew to be a jesus follower that was one of the main problems between the early christians and the jews.

Well, it was a problem, but not exactaly in the way you put it. In those days, some Jews were followers of Christ, and they didn't saw themselves as "Christians", but just as "Jews". Some of those didn't think they spread the world around the world, and only Jews could follow Christ.

As far as I know, the Jews had a problem the other Jews who followed Christ way before the Christians start converting other peoples. In fact, St, Paul, the person who was in great part responsible for the expansion of Christian faith, before he was converted, persecuted early Christians. One thing precedes another in time.

The problem of those days is that everyone (pagan or another religion/cult) who wanted to be a christian (early christian as a jesus follower but still inside the judaism) didn´t needed something special just accept Jesus.
The problem is that to accept the judaism you need to be circuncidated and some other things, like some trials, so it was difficult or impossible for the people to change to the judaism
That was one of the early differences between the jews and the early christian.

It's one of the seven sacraments.
Uh huh, in Catholicism.

As far as I know, the Roman Catholic Church say Babies go to heaven for way before the protestant movement. But where's the doubt about this? Who are the Christians that say that babies don't go to heaven? I don't know any, myself.
I didn't say they don't, I just don't feel there's strong reason to claim this. We don't have any say in what happens, in any case.

Interesting, for the jews there isn´t a ''material place or state'' called Hell, only a separation from the prescence of God, and that is when you are alive, not dead.
God may be resting, but he is still very much part of this world, sustaining it. Hell really is eternal separation from God.

After the Resurrection Day (we don´t have a Judgment Day)
Everyone will be resurrected by God (no matter what religion you follow)...
Indeed. That's why being sent to Hell is sometimes referred to as the second death.

...that is the reason because the jews can´t be cremated, ''buried in the sea'', or can´t donate organs, so you can be resurrected as you were in your live, also the lower side of the coffin must be opened so you can truly go back to the dust or earth...
That's... interesting. Our physical bodies really do go back to dust when we die, but we are resurrected in spirit.

I believe (after reading some books) that the vision of the ''christian burning hell'' was created to scare people and to gain followers
You can call it scare tactics if you want. I don't believe that's the case. Hell is surely worse than anything we can imagine.

the original meaning of the hell (Golgota, Gehenna) was a hill near Jerusalem were the people dumped the trash, it was a nasty place with bad odour,wild animals,infestations and some other bad things.
You sure you're not thinking of Golgotha? Hell was often referred to as Sheol in footnotes to the Bible.

Mmhh... i read the same from some Rabbi, Akiva or Rashi, it´s the explanation of a few vers. of the Torah, the Genesis i think.
AFAIK, the Old Testament of the Bible is the Torah.

Yeah, that is why the Torah has 613 precepts, som ''positives'' (things that you can do) and some ''negatives'' (things that you can´t do)
But again, living by those 613 things will not save you in itself.

Preacher, down there you quoted me for something Wedge said.
Yeah, I noticed that too...

Someone once calculated the odds of any one man fulfilling even a dozen of the prophecies as being (I believe) over several billlion to one; here we have guy who has fulfilled several times that.
At one service, it was described as filling New South Wales (just pick your equivalent state/country) with dollar coins several coins deep, and trying to pick out a specially marked coin. Approaches impossible.

The difficult thing to see is that in humbling himself to live on Earth, Jesus became 100% Man, yet still being 100% God. What witnesses saw of Jesus is obviously is human side, but he also performed many great miracles - including rising from the dead - to show he was also God.

Originally posted by Aries
i just got one question: how is a great religious debate humourous?
Topic drift, live with it.

Bah, far too much stuff for me to catch up on, I think much of what Preacher has said here suffices.

I just thought I'd jump in here with a note about what the Catholic Church teaches in regards to the death of babies. A baptized baby, having commited no sin, would go to heaven. The Church teaches nothing definitive in regards to unbaptized babies. They may enjoy the supernatural happiness of heaven or possibly the natural happiness of a sort of "Baby Limbo." Certainly they do not go to Hell or suddenly stop existing.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Uh huh, in Catholicism.

Not just for Catholicism, but for several other Christian Churches, in the East and in the West.

I didn't say they don't, I just don't feel there's strong reason to claim this.

Because it's good? Because it would be an act of love?

We don't have any say in what happens, in any case.

That's my whole point here, since the beginning.

That's... interesting. Our physical bodies really do go back to dust when we die, but we are resurrected in spirit.

Well, Jesus was phisically ressurected, in body, and the wounds where there for all to see. That's the only example we have in the scriptures. Not to mention that a "spiritual ressurection" sounds contraditory - to ressurect is to rise from the dead, to be alive again.

Back