A thread about Privateer

I've noticed in P1 that when you get a lot of money you get attacked more frequently by pirates. Is this true or is it just my imagination?

Originally posted by Dark Knight
First, I head for Oxford, then I sell my jump drive and buy an afterburner and some other stuff. Then I do like 3 patrol missions in one run in the Oxford system because there's only 3 nav points. You get about 15000 each run. Then I save up on a repair droid. Saves a lot of money. Then I get engine upgrades and shield generators. Then once I have enough money, I buy an Orion. Then I beef up that baby. Then, once I have enough money I buy a centerion. Then I beef that up to the max. Finnally, I head to New Detroit and go on with the storyline.
Right way to do it!
Sell everything including missile launcher!
Buy afterburner photon torpedo tube and a second laser!
Best way too deal with the game!
Lasers kick as they are fast and consume far less power then other weapons. That's mathematics and if you look into the privateer manual you'll see that lasers are more effective than most other guns!

Basical what they said only go for mass driver for better damage if you can't hit well enough. Personal i get two plasma guns and 2 tacs or particles. PS wait till the mission computer and the guilds computer offer cargo runs to detroit. Get three and you won't need any more cash.

Originally posted by mpanty
Wow... very sophisticated survival instict, RfBurns! ;)

Oh yeah, works great all the time! But that tactic can be sort of "indiscriminate", since sometimes, as like in Privateer 2, those silly militia and insys dudes like to fire at you while your on the bogie's six! They dont seem to mind it when their fire is hitting you and not the pirate, but hit them once or twice and all hell breaks loose! :eek:

RFB

Don't know if this has been mentioned before about P2, but I found you can destroy a military ship with impunity (even when there are others around) if you patiently fire away at it one shot/burst at a time.

Hmm, they always came after me like stink on $&^*, I usually found myself hauling butt to the nearest base or planet!

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns

(...) that tactic can be sort of "indiscriminate", since sometimes, as like in Privateer 2, those silly militia and insys dudes like to fire at you while your on the bogie's six! They don't seem to mind it when their fire is hitting you and not the pirate, but hit them once or twice and all hell breaks loose!
Eh eh... it's like in WC2... one time I was in an asteroid field with Jazz (what a coincidence! ;)), and I fired a couple of rounds in front of his fighter, as he was on a head-on collision course with an asteroid... I was just the guy a favor...

Well, I accidentally hit him, twice in a row, so he thought I had turned traitor, and started to open fire on me...
Kind of ironic from him... :)

After I get the Steltek gun, thats the only gun I use, which leaves plenty of energy for sustained fire! Although with that boosted Steltek gun, it dont take much to blow the bogies away!

RFB

Originally posted by Dark Tower
Basical what they said only go for mass driver for better damage if you can't hit well enough. Personal i get two plasma guns and 2 tacs or particles. PS wait till the mission computer and the guilds computer offer cargo runs to detroit. Get three and you won't need any more cash.

Best gun combination for the Centurion IMO is 2 tachyons on the inner front, 2 meson blasters on the outer front mounts, and 2 tachyon cannons on the tail. 2 IR missile launchers on front and the tractor beam on the tail. Engine level 3 and shield level 3. Stash about 150,000 creds and you will be just fine for the entire game.

RFB

i like to have a million in pocket change laying around before i really get into it. just so i don't have to stop to bring my cash back up.

Originally posted by Dark Knight
I've noticed in P1 that when you get a lot of money you get attacked more frequently by pirates. Is this true or is it just my imagination?
I believe the probability of being attacked by your enemies increases with your account balance. It makes sense game-wise, anyway. Why else would legions of Militia suddenly show up when I play as a 'baddie'?

Originally posted by Cadfael
Lasers kick as they are fast and consume far less power then other weapons. That's mathematics and if you look into the Privateer manual you'll see that lasers are more effective than most other guns!
Mathematics... pfft, I'm sure 'effectiveness' can be defined as damage rating per second, and while the Tachyon cannon only does 3.7 as opposed to 5.0, I'm sure it is more effective than the laser. Laser refires every 0.3 seconds, Tachyon 0.4.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Originally posted by Cadfael
Lasers kick as they are fast and consume far less power then other weapons. That's mathematics and if you look into the Privateer manual you'll see that lasers are more effective than most other guns!
Mathematics... pfft, I'm sure 'effectiveness' can be defined as damage rating per second, and while the Tachyon cannon only does 3.7 as opposed to 5.0, I'm sure it is more effective than the laser. Laser refires every 0.3 seconds, Tachyon 0.4.

You can calculate the damage potential of a weapon by simply dividing the damage per shot by the refire delay. In terms of damage rate, the ranking is as follows :

Neutron : 10cm/s
Tachyon : 9.5cm/s
Plasma : 9.0cm/s
Meson : 8.75cm/s
Laser : 8.3cm/s
Ionic Pulse : 7.8cm/s
Particle : 7.3cm/s
Mass Driver : 5.0cm/s

So the Tachyon is only the second most damaging weapon available. It does however only consume 57% of the energy of the Neutron, making it probably the most effective weapon, particularly for Centurion users where you want to run 4 of them. An Orion pilot may choose the Neutrons 'cos he only can/needs to power 2.

The Laser is 5th on the list, but its main advantage is that it both extremely cheap and its power drain is extremely low - 76% of a meson and 41% of a Plasma. This means that the laser is probably the most effective weapon in the early part of the game - they don't cost much and you also can get by with a smaller (cheaper) power supply. I will often stick 4 lasers on my new Centurian simply for this reason. I can then get most of the advantages of the Centurian (4 guns, better speed, manouvreability, armor, shields etc.) while I save up for my advanced engine and the Tachyons (which are bloody expensive).

[Edited by AzraeL on 05-14-2001 at 23:23]

Why, thank you for your analysis. :) That's essentially what I was trying to say in regards to the 'mathematical' argument that the laser is the most effective weapon.

Well, in RF, the most obvious choice for weapons would be four Fusion Cannons. 'Cause the take very little energy and they are strong.

Back