A thread about Privateer

Originally posted by Wedge009
Why, thank you for your analysis. :) That's essentially what I was trying to say in regards to the 'mathematical' argument that the laser is the most effective weapon.

Well, that all depends on your definition of 'effective'.

In terms of Damage per Second, then yes, they are only the 5th highest (but still only 17% less than the most damaging).

However, in terms of Damage per Kilojoule, they ARE the most effective (or perhaps efficient is a better term), being 15% better then the nearest competitor, which is the Tachyon. They are also much, much cheaper.

For an ultra-rich Centurian pilot, 4 Tachyons are the most effective way to go. For a pilot just starting up, Lasers are the best, because you can can spend all that valuable loot on more important stuff, with only a 10% loss of damage rate.
i.e. 4 Tachyons are more effective then 4 Lasers,
but 4 Lasers + Level 3 Shields are more effective then 4 Tachyons + Level 1 Shields.

That, I think, is the point that Cadfael was trying to make.

Oh, and Dark Knight ...
I don't remember the damage or energy drain of the Fusion Cannon (for Privateer anyway), however my experience tells me that :
The Fusion Cannon has a higher damage rate (Damage per second), however the Tachyon is more efficient. If you're an accurate shot, you go with the Fusions, and hope that you can kill your opponent before your energy runs dry. If you are not quite as good, or if you are picking on large enemies, you go with the Tachyons, because you can do more damage before the power is drained.

Between the two (effectiveness and efficiency), I still stand by the Tachyon as being the best overall.

[If money isn't an issue, of course. But on my first Privateer run, I loaded up on six Plasmas. :eek:]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 05-15-2001 at 22:50]

Originally posted by Wedge009
Between the two (effectiveness and efficiency), I still stand by the Tachyon as being the best overall.

[Edited by Wedge009 on 05-15-2001 at 22:50]

Definitely.

I upgrade to the Centurion ASAP. Even the basic Centurion (Lev 1 Engine, Shields, Burners etc.) is better than a fully upgraded Tarsus. I can stick 4 lasers on and spend my money on fully upgrading everything else (well, except the rear turret maybe :) ) before I go for that last engine upgrade.
Once I have enough for the final engine upgrade, I will often replace the Lasers with Mesons (better damage then lasers, similar power drain to Tachyons).
Then, as I can afford them, Tachyons all the way.

(In my opinion Mesons are the poor mans Tachyons - similar drain, slightly less damage. Plasma is the poor mans Neutron for the same reason.)

Full Plasmas/Neutrons can be effective if you are a good shot. You can deliver damage quicker then Tachyons/Mesons, but you don't want to miss too often because you 'waste' a lot of power.

Originally posted by AzraeL
Plasma is the poor man's Neutron for the same reason.
:eek: Did you make a mistake on that?

Anyway, I was an okay shot with the Plasmas - heck I had to be, slow 386 doesn't give very smooth movements with the keyboard. And strange player that I am, I like to go through Tarsus -> Galaxy -> Orion -> Centurion before I start playing the main story.

Originally posted by AzraeL
Oh, and Dark Knight ...
I don't remember the damage or energy drain of the Fusion Cannon (for Privateer anyway), however my experience tells me that :
The Fusion Cannon has a higher damage rate (Damage per second), however the Tachyon is more efficient. If you're an accurate shot, you go with the Fusions, and hope that you can kill your opponent before your energy runs dry. If you are not quite as good, or if you are picking on large enemies, you go with the Tachyons, because you can do more damage before the power is drained.

Yeah, I usally fire all I got when I come into a strait run with another ship, they usally don't last that long. Also, to help my accuracy, I press "I" to bring up al ittle target thing that helps you hit the enemy better.

Well people, the time has come and I ordered a Privateer deluxe from CDAccess.com...

Not how in the name of Beelsebub do I get it to work?!

Please email any tips, boot disk files, general discussion topics, generous donations and other devious dvices of death to viper_delta@usa.net

Oh and... hehe. I have Windows ME...

Originally posted by gryphon
Well people, the time has come and I ordered a Privateer deluxe from CDAccess.com...

Please email any tips, boot disk files, general discussion topics, generous donations and other devious dvices of death to viper_delta@usa.net

Privateer or Privateer 2 Delux? If its Privateer 2 Delux, you can find tons of info in the tech support section of the chat zone. If its Privateer CD-ROM classics, that runs on a DOS boot. There is lots of info for that as well at the tech support chat area. :)

RFB

Kris... Sorry... I am REALLY new here, I'll remember that in the future. I apologize.

RF, thanks for the tips. I'll scoot right over... And it's Privateer a la Grayson, Perry, pleasure Planet and tungsten armor... CD-ROM classics.

Originally posted by gryphon

Good Luck....you will need luck.

Indeed, Privateer seems to be the most difficult to get running.

Originally posted by Dark Knight
Also, to help my accuracy, I press "I" to bring up a little target thing that helps you hit the enemy better.
ITTS. You only get it on certain radar scanner models.

It works well in WC1 and WC2 if you know when it's a good idea and how to do it.

TC

Well, I always seem to suffer a lot of damage in collisions in WC1/2. The Kats seem smart enough to avoid you most of the time, anyway.

There's definitely a paradigm shift when considering ramming in Prophecy, however when done well it can be successful... yesterday I inadvertently (joystick failure) rammed two Sartha in a Ferret only started to vent, lost some forward armor in the process... But even the little one stayed together... In a Broadsword, I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem...

I just love when in the kill scores for Desert Storm it says "Weapon Used: Maneuver"... :)

Originally posted by $tormin
has anyone tried ramming enemy fighters as thier stratagy? if privateer worked i would try that :D

Hahaha, that's what I do. If I can't kill them before they run into me that is.

Hi, I'm new (doh), but I just wanted to jump in and say that Privateer was one of the best single-player experences ever.

Back