A thread about Privateer

I have another question. You know how they have a mpq viewer for Diablo 2 and stuff and you can extract image files and stuff? Well, is there anything like that for Privateer or something, like a tre viewer?

The main character's official name was, if I'm not mistaken, Grayson Burrows (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and the TRE extractor and sprite viewer files can be found at the CIC, under the files section.

--Eder

The CD version packs the individual files normally found in the flop version into one big .tre file. The same is for the Rightious Fire game, the files all packed into a huge .tre file. But you should be able to use the tre file extractor to do whatever you need to. To view the ships, there is a ship viewer for WCII that will work on Privateer also.

RFB

i usually save up and buy an orion. and use it for merc work. then comes the centurian. tachyon cannons are the best and i like to use torps bc of the cheap price. but you have to be a good shot. like me

I use My Tarsus with , AB,The Durasteel, and a generator markII(?) and run a lot, later when i can buy a jumpdrive, i do 3 mission (Merch. Guild) to New Detroit and collect 40000 of credits, i equip my Tarsus with the best i can get but no guns, i just run, until i can buy my Centurion.

Nop, with the Geneartor 1 level up of your shield,and with the best armor you can run forever.

Speaking of Privateer , what do you think is the best way to start out in the game?????????

If you want to take a conservative approach: At the start of the game, keep the laser and armor, sell the dumbfires, and buy some heat-seeking missiles. Stick to making simple cargo runs between Achilles and Helen (buying iron or tungsten ore on the former to sell on the latter, and foodstuffs etc. on the latter to sell on the former). Avoid all other nav points during these first trips until you can purchase afterburners. (If you run into pirates at any point, talk, don’t fight, your way out of it.) Then (or before), do a few scouting missions (one per trip) for a single nav point, which usually pays a few thousand credits and will allow you to buy afterburners (if you don't already have them) and additional missiles, and to begin upgrading your armor, weapons, and engine. As soon as you can afford it, buy a second missile launcher, which will allow you to safely do patrols, which pay a goodly amount. (However, I'd stick to doing only “Retro-patrols” for the time being, since if the pirates become your bitter enemy, that only increases the number of unfriendly encounters you'll have to fight off in patrols.) Eventually, you'll be able to buy a jump drive, and then it's pretty much up to you about how much "better prepared" you want to be in the way of guns and other equipment before you brave trips and missions beyond Troy. (Missions to and from New Detroit, together with selling gems there, tend to make you the most money in the shortest amount of time. BTW, purchase the gems and fill your hold to capacity before you accept any formal missions from the computer.)

First, I head for Oxford, then I sell my jump drive and buy an afterburner and some other stuff. Then I do like 3 patrol missions in one run in the Oxford system because there's only 3 nav points. You get about 15000 each run. Then I save up on a repair droid. Saves a lot of money. Then I get engine upgrades and shield generators. Then once I have enough money, I buy an Orion. Then I beef up that baby. Then, once I have enough money I buy a centerion. Then I beef that up to the max. Finnally, I head to New Detroit and go on with the storyline.

Best method is what you, the player, feels is best. I was always patient enough to collect enough cash to completely fill up the Centurion before starting to story.

I don't believe you have an opportunity to do this in P2. Is that right?

I think you can collect a fair amount of money before getting really deep into the story. Enough time for me to buy a Heretic/Drakkar with Flux/FluxII beams. ;)

Back