2 Questions...

Don't you know the rules? Any Confed superweapon has to be dangerous to the user or it can't be used.

TC

Originally posted by Earthworm
Johann, you can't cloak because cloaking technology is pretty much useless. There were many ways to detect cloaked ships, even before WC4.

[/B]

How could they detect the cloaked ships, other than when they uncloaked, and if there were ways to detect them before WC4, how come they had such a hard time detecting the black lance fighters???

Originally posted by Johann Cooper
How could they detect the cloaked ships, other than when they uncloaked, and if there were ways to detect them before WC4, how come they had such a hard time detecting the black lance fighters???
You’ll notice that when you flew against the Black Lances (which is the correct name of the fighters) you were on the side of the Border Worlds, which have technology that is primitive at best when compared to Confeds. You’ll also note that when you are flying the Lance you can see the outlines of other cloaked ships. And while there are ways of detecting cloaked ships with equipment that’s present on most fighters, I assume it would be practiclly impossible to implement those inside the game.

Why then did the confed med ship get destroyed so easily in the beginning of WC4? And how does anyone know whether the bugs are able to detect the cloaking devices unless they try?

That transport was a ship that operated during piece time, in a backwater system. I hardly believe that it would have equipment sofisticated enough to find cloaked ships.

End when half a dozen Excaliburs are sent on recon missions, and don't return to base, it's prety much obvious that the bugs can detect cloaked ships.

But then if these half a dozen excals were all fitted with cloaking technology then obviously confed has found some cheap and effective way to cloak the fighters, and if they all didn't return they were probably just rookies.

Let's see now. 200+ fighters on the Midway, a frontline carrier, none of them with cloaking devices. 6 Excaliburs with cloaking devices. Yes this really means Confed has found a cheap and effective way of cloaking all the fighters.
Those Excaliburs were on recon missions deep into hostile territory. If they were detected, which they were since they didn't make it back, they were undoubtedly intercepted by superior forces. Think about it - they're on their own far behind enemy lines and the enemy have a vested interest in keeping the element of surprise, hence the massive jamming field they were operating. And finally, it is standard operating procedure to send rookies to find out what the hell is going on ;)
As for the med ship in WC4 - its a transport. I don't know about you but transports are generally easy to take down, particularly when you have a special weapon, like the flashpack.

Originally posted by Johann Cooper
But then if these half a dozen excals were all fitted with cloaking technology then obviously confed has found some cheap and effective way to cloak the fighters,
Those Excals were fighters used for recon missions, and at the time, recon work was what Confed needed.

and if they all didn't return they were probably just rookies.
Oh? And how is that? Even a rookie doesn't get lost among the stars for no reason.

Thats not what I meant Earthworm, what I meant was if the cloaked guys didn't return that doesn't mean cloaking is bad, probably just the fighters. We know that the aliens do use some form of vision as one of them was able to recognize blair on the wormhole ship, thus im sure cloaking would at least distract them.

What is Cooper's question anyway? I believe there was supposed to be a scene in Prophecy which was cut, explaining that the bugs could detect 'cloaked' ships.

I don't know... I'd say that WC6 would have to be a pretty big step over Prophecy in many ways, or it's not going to get a great response. Would even die-hard fans like myself and you others buy another Prophecy-like WC game? I personally wouldn't, though if I did, I would be greatly disappointed with the game.

Johann Cooper: Yeah your little donation's really going to make WC6 magically appear ;) Seriously this has been mentioned before - there aren't enough fans fanatical enough to donate the funds required. And its highly unlikely that there's some millionaire out there who A) is a WC fanatic & B) would be willing to hand over a large sum of it to OSI.

Saturnyne: Yeah I would like WC6 to be vastly superior to Prophecy but face it - there are a lot of people with differing expectations. What's good for you might not be good for someone else. I mean how do you constitute better? More complex story? More missions? One of the things IMHO that makes WC so great is that each game left high standards, so that the sequel really had to incorporate something new, that worked, to succeed.

Perhaps WC6 would do well if it returned to its roots... the wider variety of missions, maybe a better flight engine, cap ships that actually EXPLODE, and the like... but definitely something to clear up all the stuff about the aliens, the government, and the truth about a certain Commodore who shall remain nameless.

Back