2 Questions...

Well at the rate origin is going, they wont be able to bring blair back in WC6, coz Mark Hamill will be dead by then, and probably all of us too

Johann Cooper: Don't be daft. Mark Hamill has at least another 30 years of life left. That's more than enough time for OSI to cough something up. Besides didn't Mark Hamill say he didn't want to be in any more WC games, hence his secondary role in WCP?

I hope so Penguin, I sure hope so, coz I'm not sure I'd be too enthusiastic about buying wc6 minus a specific guy who used to have blue hair

Originally posted by Saturnyne
Perhaps WC6 would do well if it returned to its roots...
Prophecy DID return to the WC roots. It's missions were basicly what you encountered in WC1, and it concentrated on gameplay rather than story.

I'd rather they returned to roots such as WC2 rather than WC1, even though it signified the starting of the most amazing series ever, it kinda sucks that the story is so boring,

Ten years ago that boring story was revolutional...

And people, let's not forget that Prophecy's budget wwas cut heavily.

the kind of plot that i reckon would be good is that one that they've developed over at UE
bugs cats black lance

if i was capable of doing programming i would in fact help...but since i can't...

btw cooper - i already asked that qu on the cloaking...and i dont' think that the excal's were dud...in wcso remember they bring out the excals again and they kicked some but, even downgraded!

well...maybe not the black lance particularly coz we'd all go duh, this is stupid bring the black lance back again coz it all happened in wc4 or something like that

maybe some other nice little secret in confed's black closet...i dunno...something like: tolwyn was inbred?

or they were testing some sort of chemical that repulses the opposite sex from you (i think maniac took that one)

or that the nephilem are really human's in disguise? nah that's be gay

how about some new super weapons? boring

ummm...who REALLY was elected - bush or gore :)

any other ideas?

Returning to my discussion on Trolling, if StarLight intentionally posted controversial WC material here, knowing what it would cause but pretending to be innocent, that would be trolling.

TC

Well, actually, we don't have the Black Lance in the new version of UE.

ummm...who REALLY was elected - bush or gore
Well, if the US was a true democracy, then Gore - he won by roughly 300,000 votes. As it is, Bush gets the office.

StarLight: "bring the black lance back."
I believe the BL was at the least disbanded. It wouldn't be a good idea for Confed to leave intact a group of people that tried to subvert it.
"they were testing some sort of chemical that repulses the opposite sex from you (i think maniac took that one)"
Maniac doesn't need any chemicals. His problem is that he's such a braggart.
"how about some new super weapons?"
So you think the PTC (Confed & Kilrathi versions), Mace, Behemoth, T Bomb, Flashpack & Fleet Plasma are boring?

"ummm...who REALLY was elected - bush or gore"
Well Bush is definitely the President. But wasn't his victory based on the Electoral College, like he won more states or something? :confused:

Well Bush is definitely the President. But wasn't his victory based on the Electoral College, like he won more states or something?
Yes and no. Bush won by default - that is, Gore quit the race, and that doesn't leave much competition :).
But technically, nobody won - Bush didn't get the Electoral College numbers he would have needed, because the Florida vote was never properly resolved. Of course, this was largely irrelevant, because had Al Gore not bowed out, the Florida legislature (controlled by the Republicans and Bush's brother) would have chosen the Electoral College delegates for Florida or something like that - at any rate, Bush would have gotten the votes.

The above may be partially or even completely wrong. Presumably, at least some of the Americans here have a far better idea than me of what was going on, so if they could explain...

The true essence of the WC spirit is to follow your heart, and your mind.

As a great man once said "Follow ye heart laddie"

Can anyone else put that in a better way

Originally posted by Quarto: But technically, nobody won - Bush didn't get the Electoral College numbers he would have needed, because the Florida vote was never properly resolved.

Actually, Bush did win Florida's 25 electoral votes because he was certified the winner of Florida's election in late November based on the then existing vote totals. Gore's subsequent legal challenge to bring about a recount was designed to change that certification, but because of the U.S. Supreme Court's 5-4 decision permanently barring any such recount, the certification was left intact, with Bush the official winner.

As a result, the electoral college vote, if each elector votes as expected on Monday, December 18th, will be Bush 271 and Gore 267, with 270 needed to win the Presidency. As you can see, Bush really had to gain almost 25 electoral votes to win, whereas Gore, if he had won just one more state with only a handful of electoral votes at stake--like West Virginia with five votes or, unfortunately, his home state of Tennessee with eleven votes--could have safely lost Florida to Bush.

Of course, there's a lot of talk about the "need" to amend the U.S. Constitution and get rid of the Electoral College in order to make the election of President depend on the national popular vote alone (which Gore did win). That won't happen because too few states will approve such a constitutional amendment. You see, the "benefit" of the Electoral College is that it forces a candidate to focus, not on the areas in the country with the greatest density of population, but on the individual states, thus assuring that almost every state is "paid attention to" by the candidates at some point in the campaign, which, naturally, the residents of those states like.

The real problem with the Electoral College is not constitutional, but statutory, in that many states have passed laws awarding their electors on a winner-take-all basis (like Florida), instead of proportionally, based on the percentage of the popular vote each candidate receives in a given state. Thus, some argue that those laws need to be changed to favor a proportional award, which would still preserve the "incentive" for candidates to visit most states during a campaign.

But getting back to the present election, there are two things yet to look forward to: (1) the Electoral College vote on December 18th; and (2) the effort of various media groups to gain access to the disputed Florida ballots (which they will do) and perform their own "recount" before Inauguration Day, January 20th.

In the case of the December 18th vote, it is possible, though highly unlikely, that one or more electors could change their votes from Bush to Gore, and only a change of three (even two) would throw the situation into utter chaos again. (By itself, Gore's concession is no legal bar to his being "elected" in this manner.)

As for any "unofficial" recount that shows Gore to have actually won Florida, such a result would not prevent Bush from legally assuming office, but it would certainly cast quite a pall over his Administration for at least the next two years.

In sum, "it" might not be "over" yet.

Doh! Nemesis beat me to it. Well at least we don't completly overlap in our answer. :)
Originally posted by Quarto
Yes and no. Bush won by default - that is, Gore quit the race, and that doesn't leave much competition :).
But technically, nobody won - Bush didn't get the Electoral College numbers he would have needed, because the Florida vote was never properly resolved.

Part of Gore's concession is admiting that Florida was won by Bush, at least technically. Therefore Bush did win enough Electoral votes. Electoral votes are roughly based on population and congressional representation. Each state gets two votes (just as each state gets two Senators) and the rest are based on how many Representatives are sent to the House by that state. A state like Montana, only has one representative because while it has a lot of land it has few poeple, so Montana only sends three Electors. Florida which has quite a bit more people, but probably less land mass has 25 Electors (2, because they are a state and 23 because of their population.) Every 10 years in the US after the Census, they redistrict, so some states who see a population increase may gain a representative and an electoral voter (They are not and cannot be the same person, btw), while another state may lose one because they lost people.

Of course, this was largely irrelevant, because had Al Gore not bowed out, the Florida legislature (controlled by the Republicans and Bush's brother) would have chosen the Electoral College delegates for Florida or something like that - at any rate, Bush would have gotten the votes.

If Gore had won in the courts to get a recount with the very loose, imo, interpretation of want counts as voter intent and had gotten more votes, then they would have cretified him the winner. What the Florida Legislature was doing was taking a literal interpretation of the US Constitution that says if the outcome of the election of a states electors is in doubt then they have the power to chose their own slate of electors. Had Gore won in a recount at this point they would have submitted their slate. If two slates of electors come from a state (and there is more detail that I'm skimming over) the Congress has to decide who is president. They vote not in a straight majority, but as states. Whichever party has a majority in the state, will likely vote for their candidate. The conventional wisdom was that the Republicans had a majority in the delgations sent by 29 of the states so Bush would have won. However it would have been more of a PR nightmare than it already is.

[Edited by Shane on 12-15-2000 at 11:39]

Back