Category:Wing Commander: Action Stations
|Wing Commander: Action Stations|
|English language cover, Baen Books.|
|Author(s)||William R. Forstchen|
|Cover Artist||Paul Alexander|
|Publication Date||January 1998|
|Retail Price||$5.99 U.S.
Novel by William R. Forstchen, published in early 1998 by Baen Books.
The book covers the early career of Geoffrey Tolwyn, under the guise of being a Confederation Fleet historian's fictionalized novelization published four years after Tolwyn's death; it is a "novel-within-a-novel". The plot centers around the McAuliffe Ambush at the very start of the Terran-Kilrathi War, an event first described in Claw Marks; thus, except for the fictional author's foreword, the events in it predate every other Wing Commander game, book, film, or television series.
- THEY PLANNED ON A NICE WAR . . .
- There had been a century of peace, and the politicians of
- Earth and its colonies were running on platforms of cutting
- “wasteful” military spending―all while Earth's military tried to
- keep aging and obsolete ships flying and battle-ready. And
- while the swords rusted, war clouds gathered on the horizon. . . .
- Contact had been made with the Kilrathi―a warrior race
- feline in appearance and deadly in combat. Yet, even though
- they had annihilated or enslaved scores of other races
- throughout the galaxy, and had attacked human colonies on
- the border worlds, the government was not taking them
- seriously, thinking that the Fleet could handle them with ease.
- Commander Winston Turner knew that the government was
- moving toward a declaration of war against the Kilrathi in
- response to demands from the border worlds. He also knew
- that the Fleet would be forced to operate under Plan Orange
- Five: limited action and punitive responses only. He only hoped
- that mankind would recognize its mistake before it was too
Around The World
The German language edition, Wing Commander: Die Bedrohung, was published by Bastei Lubbe Verlag in 2000. The alternate cover artwork manages to outdo even its American equivalent for 'What the heck?' factor. As of this writing, this was the last Wing Commander book ever published in any language.
Media in category "Wing Commander: Action Stations"
The following 3 files are in this category, out of 3 total.
- Actionstations.jpg 800 × 1,341; 448 KB
- Cz-ActionStations.jpg 220 × 350; 47 KB
- Diebedrohung.jpg 262 × 420; 86 KB