Torps without Locks?

Originally posted by Quarto
I'm surprised you'd even bother bringing up such a silly idea, EW. Think about it... if these 'points of damage' are the same as VS' 'tenths of a centimetre', then a Firestorm torpedo does 160 centimetres worth of damage. It would only barely penetrate a Moray's shields. And since we must assume that guns use the same scale, we find that lasers would do 1.8 centimetres of damage, and the plasma gun does 60.
Oh, is that so? Than why does a DF missile from WC3 kill a Dralthi with one hit even though the 80cm of penetration that it provides isn’t even enough to get through Dralthis shields?

Originally posted by StarLight
[...]i also wanna know why they downgraded the torp damage from wc4 and wc3...they like use to hit 8000 and now they only hit 1000 or 2000...

WC3 torps did 8000 damage, WC4 torps did 2000. As for the plot reason, the torps made during WC4 were when Confed was relatively at peace, the trouble with Tolwyn's Project aside. Since there wasn't really any need for war-era warheads, they downgraded the torps, to save on money (anti-matter, like what's used in torpedo warheads, is probably still pretty pricy, even in WC's time; though it can presumably be produced (seeing that as far as we of today know, there's not that much anti-matter out there), it would make sense to be a time-consuming process requiring specialized equipment).

and why torps don't like onto corvettes when they ARE considered to be capital ships...and are there any bigger kilrathi cap ships than the corvettes in wcp and wcso?

Even in WC2, corvettes (Kamekh) weren't really any more special than fighters, save for being big/slow enough to lock a torpedo onto. And, besides, regardless of what WC game you're talking about, a corvette isn't very 'capital', no matter how you slice it. ;)

heu

Heu... because of the difficulty setting you're on ?

I my memory serves, the "rookie" setting doubles (x2) your damage and your shields and armor.

Nah, I don't think so.
I usually use DF's on Darkets or Dralthis, since most other missile get shaken off easily by the cats. I usually play on the top three diff. settings.

I'll go with Pete's theory :).

Actually, it may be that either the Dart does more damage than it's supposed to, or the Dralthi has less shields than it's supposed to.

...Alternatively, I suppose it's possible that the VS manual writers goofed... again... and in fact the damage dealt by those missiles is given in centimetres.

Hmm... actually, that would be a really nifty explanation for why WCP torps don't blow capships out of the water altogether, n'est-ce pas? :)

Oui, they did most likelly scre up. How else could a Torp that penetrates through 800cm destroy even the light Kilrathi destroyer from WC3?

Aye, that's exactly why I saw the error in what I was saying before, EW :). You'd have to pound the damn thing with torp after torp after torp.

i'm still confused...have we reached a final verdict yet?
or is it that there is none and its just all a game and it doesn't matter that much

I know this is probably going off at a tangent, but why do we need the source code, to advance the games. surely what we know already could be used for this andd even if they did release the source code it would probably be for WC1 or 2, games that quite frankly could not be advanced enough to make it worthwhile, look at doom legacy, that is basicly just doom with a few limited changes, the graphics engine has not been massively changed, and the same would happen with WC, unless we got the prophecy or SO code, advancement could not be made that would be major, WC3 or 4 could be done, however virtually all the games have an engine equal wc1, 2, academy and privateer
wc3,4,armada,privateer2
wcp,SO

admittedly these engines are not exactly the same but they are similar enough, therefore if all the editors for games of a 'set' were compiled, then enough information could be gathered to give us a reasonable, if basic knowledge of the code, unfortunately most of the people who made this software have moved on such as HCL,

Basically to make any changes we need a grasp of the code, but not a massive one, and if enough people banded together such a grasp could be gathered, look at all the patches (dehacks) made for doom prior to source code release. admittedly they had 5 years to get this grasp, but with no WC future likely we could have that long, such a project would be hard and for a long time completely fruitless, but if in the end we have a decent wc4 code or even a wcp code, then we would truly be able to advance.

Heh

This is starting to remind me of that "Woulde'nt you prefer to kill Capships in WCP the old way?" thread that I made on the old board. :)

Why? So you can kill capships even faster than you can now? I think most people think the Prophecy way is preferable to WC1/3/4, but again it would be nice for a 'brute force' explosion to kick in.

I think that all torp methods in all games were cool... but the WC3/4 ways looked the best... WCP would have looked a lot better if pieces of giant bug ships were sent flying throughout the sector... the kind of explosion that, when you returned to the Midway, you could still see pieces of bug ass flying through the landing bay.

what you want bug debris to fly faster than you, and yes i would want to arse a capship in 1 shot, in wc3 if you didnt like taking out the turrets you could just AB in and deal the turk a big fat torp shaped lesson, in wcp on tranports it takes at least 2 and the orcas take about 5, sod that for a lark, surely the lock would enable us to fly through the shields, otherwise its just a big fat DF, so why take out the shield emitters, besides if you make a shield emmiter, no-one would be stupid enough to make one that doesnt shield the emitter, the WCP engine, is less effective on the big ships, good on the tritons, its realistic, but 5 torps, bombing the orca theres no need.

But... how can you possibly expect Confed torpedoes to perfectly penetrate shields which, for all we know, could work on totally different principles than Confed shields? Note that Confed capships do not have external shield emitters - their shields are different. Thus, their torps are not designed to deal with Nephilem shields.
The Nephilem, on the other hand, may have their reasons for using external shield emitters. They might, for example, have no idea how else shields can be handled. Maybe, instead of generating shields outward, they generate shields inward - that is to say, the shields have to be between the hull and the generator, rather than between the generator and open space.

Back