Torps without Locks?

Yeah, for that matter, confed is damn lucky that their torpedoes can penetrate the nephilim capships at all, and its a damn good thing they figured out all the stuff about their field generators so fast

Originally posted by Quarto
Note that Confed capships do not have external shield emitters - their shields are different. Thus, their torps are not designed to deal with Nephilem shields.
The shield emitters that the heavy capships carry are for additional shields that protect only certain areas of the ship. When you see three of those little shield emitters, that means there's one for the bridge, the engine, and the hangar.

Quite, quite right, Earthworm. The primary shield layer doesn't need outboard generators at all.

So if the primary shields are totally impenetrable, why don't they just make the capship a little smaller and screw the need for shield generators???

Another question if anyone knows. How did confed figure out which parts of the ship are which, I mean except for the obvious bridge, unless they could send marines into the ships, or did they??

Johann Cooper: There's no such thing as impenetrable shields. If there were you wouldn't be able to blow up any components whatsoever.
Well the engines are fairly obvious. As for the bridge well, trial and error shall suffice, a Dev probably flew around one blasting away with its heavy plasma until something caved.

Or you could try scaning the ships, looking for any electronic emissions, and where they originate, any comunications.

*L* a far more effective and practical means than sending out some guy to get toasted just to find out where to shoot the stupid things. :)

i don't quite understand this business about torps having to dodge shields...i thought more or less line it up and bang! shields either go down or u have a fresh sea food salad or something

and if it really is that bad...why can't we use the flashpak? the aliens must breathe oxygen or at least have it in their ships if the marines could board 'em and not have to use masks or anything...

the flashpak did work on burning or doing something with oxygen right?

As for the torpedoes and shields. They way I understand it is that sometime after SM2, phase shields were developed. These were much more effective at blocking out both energy weapons and missles. The torpedoes have their own emitters and the lock time is required to synch with the pattern of the cap ships shields so they pass through the shields and hit the ship.

No, the shields we see in WC1 on capships, and even way before that, are phase shields. The ones in WC2, WCP/SO just happen to be "upgraded" versions, and are ahead of the weapons technology that was present at the time.

I still find it odd that phase shields were supposed to block weapons and stuff, but you could still gun everything down with lasers.

ANd the shields do block weapons and missles.... in WC2 and WCP. In WC3 and 4 there was a weapon system upgrade which made the effect of the shields mute, and there were signs towards the end of 4 that the shields had another upgrade.

Just a minor point: ships do still blow apart, I know everyone thinks they're hot in Prophecy:); but there are scenes you'll see if you lose that show Midway becoming several broken hull shards from guns other than the bug capship plasma.

Only fighters blow apart in Prophecy... cap ships only explode, but remain intact. I still stand by the preference that those giant bugs and other capships blow to pieces, and clutter up the sector or something...

yeh so does ur ship if u eject...even if ur ship's okay

that reminds me...why don't the nephilem eject? the kilrathi used to and so did ppl in wc4...and then u go around shooting the pods :) and then they fly away (in wc3) or in wc4, that was fun! u shoot it and it turns into a skeleton and THEN u try to tractor the "pod" in :D

I just have one thing to add... It would make sence to allow torps NOT to lock; ie. the pilot should have the choice. Reason being that if someone were to fire a dumb fire at your six, would you know? Nope, not unless you looked behind, or until you got blasted. But if an IR were locked onto you, you would know instantly, cause of the tone.

So with all the sensors and such on capships, a locked-on topr would probably be noticed the second it was fired. If this were long range, that would give ample time for a turret to target and take out the torp.

If the torp were fired without a lock, even at long range, the only thing a sensor could detect was a heat signature fron the torps engine. Considering the size of a torp, that wouldn't be too noticeable.

And as for shields. Shields probably couldn't stop a physical object from penetrating them. Shields would probably be some sort of electron field, which could dissipate other electron fields(lasers, other beam weapons), but wouldn't have any effect on a solid object. If they did, how could one fly through the launch bays of the carriers in WC3-4-P?

there are a lot of pilots who couldn't shoot for kitty litter if they didn't have a lock...even with torpedos they were talking about it having to lock to get in time with the phase of the shields...
and just coz the turrets have enuff time doesn't mean they are gonna get the torp...if u notice the turrets rotating, they rotate slowly...and if they are automatic, like a ship's rear turret, its prolly not gonna do a good job as u see ur ship turret does hit too many ships...if it is manned by a bug or cat or human, well...seen star wars? it took 'em a while to get the ships didn't it?

Back