Torps without Locks?

I think emulated is indeed the wrong word... then again, it might not be. At any rate, I guess I know what he means :).

Yes, something along those lines could be done. If you could write a TSR program that detected when a missile of a specific type hit a ship (and which ship), and then zeroed out its shields, you'd have yourself a Leech. But knowing what needs to be done is very, very different to knowing how to do it.

Thing is, in order to be able to do that, you'd have to know intimately how WC2 deals with memory, which bit is which, and a hell of a lot of Assembly stuff in-between.

So, let's just say it's bloody impossible and leave it at that, eh? :)

Starlight, although there are still large Kilrathi ships opperated during the period(in case you didn't see the fairly good-sized fleet blasted by the alien capship plasma), you can't take shots at them outside of the Fralthi wreckage and starbase. There is the Pelican transport you can take shots at-it's flies under the Kilrathi banner in a training mission. Whether Kilrathi really opperate Pelicans or not could be debateable. Perhaps they are at least representative of a comparable ship never implemented tue to time contraints, or the Kilrathi stole them (my own opinion), or Confed loaned them (curious), or lastly, sold them (think high markups, no wholesale here likely).

There are a couple reasons torps are no longer seen hurling towards corvettes. The ships carrying those munitions are slow enough that corvette turrets will likely bring down the bomber when it finally makes the run. At longer range, the torps would be gunned down. So why not lock from far out, then 'burn in, and drop the bomb a few meters away? As you know, when you try to duck turret fire pumped out by those nasty turrets, you could very well lose your lock by the time you get to the target because you may not be able to stay lined up the whole time.

If you follow the KS manual, it gives the damage values in tenths of a centimeter durasteel thickness. So, following that, WC3 Lance torpedoes do 800cm damage, no more damage potential than Prophecy's Dumbfire!

[Edited by Death's Head on 12-09-2000 at 01:10]

Don't you find it curious that the guns on a corvette can foil a torpedo carrying bomber to the point that torpedoes are considered ineffectual, yet that same bomber can get past the guns on larger, more important ships?

Not at all, Penguin. Corvettes can bring their guns to bear on the torps much faster. They're smaller, faster, and more manoeuvrable than capships. Similarly, if you fired a torpedo at a fighter, the pilot would laugh.

Originally posted by Earthworm

and i also wanna know why they downgraded the torp damage from wc4 and wc3...they like use to hit 8000 and now they only hit 1000 or 2000...
The Torps in WC4 didn't deal out 8000 damage, try 2000, which is what the enhanced heavy torps in Prophecy did. [/B]

ummm...in my victory streak it says that the penetration of a torpedo is 8000

oh hang on...yeh okay...fair enuff then with those torps only doing 800cm damage...at least i can still complain that only plasma guns do damage to components (aside from turrets) coz i just hate it flying around when i'm outa torps no plasma gun and i'm jsut waiting for my wingman to do something really fancy and if they run out i have to hit the cheat and blow up the ship meself...

Quarto: True. But shouldn't the larger, more imposing and more important capital ships boast superior weapons to the corvette? Shouldn't they be more of a challenge?

They should, Penguin, but this is Wing Commander :).

StarLight: Have you by any chance noticed that the Victory Streak stats are given in tenths of centimetres (which means millimetres, but I guess the manual writers were half-asleep at the time of writing)? WCP damage (not in the manual, which has no stats at all, but in WCPEdit) is given in centimetres. Therefore, VS' 8000 = WCP's 800.

Well, since the Prophecy guide states that the damage of the Prophecy weapons is given in points of damage, not any centimeters, then VS' 8000 would most likelly equal 4*2000 from Prophecy, since armor units from VS are most likelly the same as points of damage from the official guide.

All I know is someone was sleeping, because the WC3 Guide, i.e., not VS, gives points in centimeters equivalent. Manuals and guides don't always jive, but you already knew that...strange that weapons, shields and armor took great and equal leaps within a couple years though.

As I recall, there was an explanation for this, one that escapes me at the moment.

Er... Earthworm... load up WCPEdit. Notice that the armour, shield, and hitpoint values for ships are the same as the centimetre values given elsewhere. You'd be a fool to believe that the weapons values are on a different scale - what kind of a programmer would be stupid enough to add another calculation to a game? Unlike Win9x programmers, game programmers are still aware of the need for optimisation. They don't waste even a single cycle, if at all possible. Ergo, the nebulous 'points of damage' are actually centimetres.

I'm surprised you'd even bother bringing up such a silly idea, EW. Think about it... if these 'points of damage' are the same as VS' 'tenths of a centimetre', then a Firestorm torpedo does 160 centimetres worth of damage. It would only barely penetrate a Moray's shields. And since we must assume that guns use the same scale, we find that lasers would do 1.8 centimetres of damage, and the plasma gun does 60.
Dang, that must be why you have to hit a Remora with 18 laser shots to kill it, and why you have to hit a Moray 10 times with the plasma gun before it dies... :)

Pointless aplies when either you're not one of the people working on converting ships for a mod for another game/add-on for an existing WC game, or you're someone who doesn't care. Isn't that right, Q?;)

Back