Torps without Locks?

No, there aren't. Earthworm's imagining things :).

There are no Leeches in WC2 (technically, there aren't even any Maces - they only work when you use the SO2 EXE). But there are Leeches in WC Academy, which uses an only slightly modified WC2/SO2 game engine.

You can use an editor to put it on a ship... I don't know if it'd work though. Just like you can have a cloak but can't activate it.

But I've been fooling around with my Ferret recently :), and I had it loaded with the PTC.

Pah... it doesn't work that way, EW. You can have a cloak because it's already in the game engine. But the Mace, the Leech, and the new guns from WCA are not in the WC2 game engine. Using them produces no results - that is, instead of the weapon, you see a few funny signs, and you can't fire it. Nor can your wingmen - the weapons simply don't exist.
Interestingly enough, the same goes for the Morningstar's jump drive. It just doesn't work. Which is rather odd, since I don't recall any difference between the way the 'Star jump drive works and the way the Broadsword's and Crossbow's drives work.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, if you're gonna make WC2 missions, use the SO2 engine rather than the original WC2 engine. And forget about WCA weapons, unfortunately (though I suppose the ships themselves might be importable... you'd have to check HCl's page).

I've tried PTC-capable Ferrets before, but I vaguely recall having some sort of trouble with them... I think that for some reason, I couldn't fire the PTC. But I can't remember, since it was a long, long, long time ago.

I've never been clear on this... why is the Morningstar's jump drive faulty in the story? All they say it is is some sort of technical glitch or failure... And I don't read the novels (yet), so I don't know specifics.

Saturnye: I believe the Morningstars that we see in WC2SO2 are prototypes undergoing testing. Maniac's Wild Eagles squadron was a test squadron that was meant to be finding out what worked and what didn't. The jump drive was one of the things that didn't work all the time.
Maniac's the best possible candidate to be a test pilot. He's not afraid of anything and he'd do anything if he thought it'd score extra points with the ladies. Therefore he's the best person to push a fighter's performance past the design specs.

There's no particular reason... you know, the way early B-29s (and, undoubtedly, hundreds of other designs) burst into flames for no reason. In other words, design glitches, manufacturing glitches... anything. Prototypes are not, by definition, the most reliable things in the world.

in wcpedit
remove the lock time and all the options except damages components, unfortunately finding shield emitters is a bugger, enable lock range to dispose of lock symbol on fighters, there is no way as far as i know of making one that will free fire straight but if locked will track, ah well if anyone makes any advances, ie a list of precisely what all the missile flags do please tell me (now im going to find out that there is such a list in the help ;) )

by the way anyone know how to contact LOAF?

in other news maniac was the biggest wuss in the game, why put him on a ship where he might die, he'd rather eject (a 1 billion pound ejection medal cool :)

surely the leech could be imported to WC2, but why did no one make a weapon editor, after all 1 and 2 ( and academy of course) are the only ones without

[Edited by madman on 12-06-2000 at 05:31]

by the way anyone know how to contact LOAF?
Well, e-mail usually works pretty well :).

surely the leech could be imported to WC2,
Nope, it can't. Let me say this again. WC Academy uses a different engine; the engine is based on WC2, but it's still different.
That means that new stuff introduced in WCA is not compatible with the original WC2 engine, in the same way that the new weapons introduced in WC4 would not work in WC3.

that kind of does pee me off a bit playing wcp and wcso without any modifications and only torps can hurt engines and bridges...i mean the DF has just a big whack as the smaller torps and doesn't even light up...i've always felt that even if only plasma guns hurt components and no other guns do, they should have still allowed other missiles to hurt components
and i also wanna know why they downgraded the torp damage from wc4 and wc3...they like use to hit 8000 and now they only hit 1000 or 2000...and why torps don't like onto corvettes when they ARE considered to be capital ships...and are there any bigger kilrathi cap ships than the corvettes in wcp and wcso?

There is a Fralthi II you see in the first mission... but no operable Kilrathi ships are bigger than the Corvette in WCP.

Ho di Ho i meant what is he address besides, i'm sure you could make the leech work, couldnt be too hard.

Originally posted by StarLight
that kind of does pee me off a bit playing wcp and wcso without any modifications and only torps can hurt engines and bridges...i mean the DF has just a big whack as the smaller torps and doesn't even light up...i've always felt that even if only plasma guns hurt components and no other guns do, they should have still allowed other missiles to hurt components
Yeah, and those missiles would still require their original lock times, which would be much shorter than on the torps. The need for torpedos comes from all the jaming, decoys, and phase shields. It's not easy for a torp to get through and hit the ship, how would a DF or IR missile get through?

and i also wanna know why they downgraded the torp damage from wc4 and wc3...they like use to hit 8000 and now they only hit 1000 or 2000...
The Torps in WC4 didn't deal out 8000 damage, try 2000, which is what the enhanced heavy torps in Prophecy did.

i'm sure you could make the leech work, couldnt be too hard.
Oh, and I'm sure that you could use the 3D models from WCP in WC1... couldn't be too hard.

In other words, you couldn't.

Well... theoretically someone could convert Prophecy model to WC1. If you made a program that automatically took shots of the models from the correct angles, dumped them into the right file format at the right colour depth and resolution... Going from WC1 to Prophecy, automatically, on the other hand would be much harder :)

TC

Ah, but I meant to directly use the 3D models in WC 1, without converting them into bitmaps :).

Well I say there are people out there who have done very good work on designing textured polygonal models from WC1/2/Priv. Shows those ships in their true glory.

thats a good idea ;) no but seriously the leech is a baseic missile the main problem would be its effect on other ships, and that could be emulated.

Back