Old Vs New

Originally Posted by Bandit Loaf:[/QUOTe/]

I think Half Life is the best evidence that gaming today is stupid
[End Quote]

Couldn't agree with you more Loaf. Although I have never played Half-Life, I watched a friend play it, and was a bit shocked at the gore content. I dislike First-Person shooter games, because they teach shooting at a person as an instinctive reaction without showing the effects of that person's death in the actual sense.
Think about it for a moment. Would any of y'all be able to actually pull the trigger of a gun, and end another person's life? Could you live with yourself if you did? When someone dies, it doesn't just affect that person, it affects their family and friends. When a person takes someone's life, on a computer game, they never show the mother and father's reaction to the loss of a beloved son or daughter that the they raised and had hopes or dream that would never be realized, or a child who would never be able to play catch or eat ice cream with mommy or daddy again until the afterlife (I'm a Christian, please don't flame me for it, okay?), or a wife who would never be able see her husband again? That's why I hate first person shooters, because they disgust me.
The first time I was ever confronted with death in a real sense was when a nice old lady who was our neighbor and used to invite us over to her house to eat cookies or candy, died in a car wreck. I walked up to the casket with my parents to see her for the last time. She didn't look dead, in fact, she looked like she was gonna walk up and ask me if I wanted an ice cream cone or something. But she didn't, and couldn't. It was a horrible experience for me, and I realized for the first time the horrible feeling of grief.
I don't blame soldiers or policemen for killing in self defense, but I feel sorry for them because I know that for the rest of their lives, they will live with the knowledge that they killed someone, even if it was neccasary. I wouldn't presume to know what's it's like to kill someone, but I believe that for a

while, life would be a living hell!
respectfully,
Torpedonut

Most of the FPS games have what they call "violence settings" which means you can set it for tons of gore, or no gore. I think the only game out there that is an FPS type game that does not show gore are the Star Wars games, such as Jedi Knight DFII and the new Jedi Outcast game. All of the others, Half-Life, Quake 1-3, heck, even the old Doom had gore!

I used to be a heavy fan of FPS shooters duirng the heyday of Doom and Quake 1. Shortly after Quake 2 came out, the FPS games became BOARING. Same ol thing, run around, hit some switches, open up secret doors and shoot everything in sight. (YAWN)

Id rather sit around and watch the cars rust in the desert!

And I still cannot believe that LucasArts used the Quake 3 engine for Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast! ????? :confused:

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

Originally posted by RFBurns
Same ol thing, run around, hit some switches, open up secret doors and shoot everything in sight. (YAWN)
The nice thing about FPSs (and car games) is that there is little story. So you can pick it up, play it for an hour or so, then drop it for a week or two. With games like WC, I'd get caught up in it and play for hours and hours and hours. Mindless entertainment with little or no personal investment can be a nice diversion every now and then.

I recently picked up Quake 2 as part of a bundle and was a bit disappointed with the cutscenes in between levels. Granted I wasn't expecting much but a still of the area I had just cleared was a bit of a let down. IIRC, Half-Life did have some kind of transitional scene that moved the story along so it had that going for it. And yeah, the Inter-dimensional Invasion thing wasn't by any means original, but neither was the Humans Vs Alien Space War at the time WC was king - what made WC special was it's implementation of the story.

Originally posted by Torpedonut
I dislike First-Person shooter games, because they teach shooting at a person as an instinctive reaction without showing the effects of that person's death in the actual sense.
No offense, but (if you like WC) you don't seem to have a problem playing a GAME where you "instinctively" shoot at a person in a fighter and the effect of that person's death are not shown. Hey, your opinion is your opinion but you seem to condemn FPS because they allow the player to kill others yet non-FPSs (Red Alert, Everquest, WC, etc) do very much the same thing. Now if you're actually saying that FPSs glorify the killing by accentuating the gore…well I can see a case for that.

Originally posted by RFBurns
I used to be a heavy fan of FPS shooters duirng the heyday of Doom and Quake 1. Shortly after Quake 2 came out, the FPS games became BOARING. Same ol thing, run around, hit some switches, open up secret doors and shoot everything in sight. (YAWN)

A few games manage to work with the atmosphere. The AvP games are probably the best known of this type. One of my freakiest moments playing the first game was while I was playing the marine missions and I blew the legs off of an alien - the thing kept coming! Sure, it wasn't running anymore (the shredded remains of its legs were lying in a puddle of acid on the floor, after all), but it was using its arms to slowly crawl across the floor toward me! I paused for a moment in pure, freaked out admiration of the group that had designed the game, and then blew its head off (the one sure way to stop the things).
Unfortunately, the second game only registers whether or not you hit the head (can't blow the legs off in that one), but it still finds other ways to keep the atmosphere suitably creepy through the usual tricks such as having inanimate objects swaying in the breeze so that your motion sensor gets set off.

You can still wound them though, I have had numerous instances of what I thought to be dead aliens rising from the grave to bite my kneecaps off:(

Originally posted by junior

Unfortunately, the second game only registers whether or not you hit the head (can't blow the legs off in that one

Although I love AvP2 and think it is a humongous improvement over the first, I really, really, really miss being able to take apart the aliens limb-by-limb :(

There was nothing more gratifying than seeing an alien burst from a hail of smartgun fire! Just like in Aliens!

I love gore. Nothing better then watching blood hit the wall when you nail your opponent with a gun or rocket! Sometimes there can be to much gore but other times you just expect it to happen.

Well, I would call it "lightweight" gore compared to some other FPS gore!

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

Originally posted by Delta_Strife
I love gore. Nothing better then watching blood hit the wall when you nail your opponent with a gun or rocket! Sometimes there can be to much gore but other times you just expect it to happen.

Personally, I'm not interested in the gore so much. A little blood can be a nice touch if done correctly, but I could really care less if there's a red smear on the wall after they get hit with a rocket. The reason I think the 'removable limbs' is a nice feature on the aliens is because it enhances the atmosphere in the game. People who've lost their legs don't typically crawl on their arms to get you. Savage creatures, such as the xenomorphs, do.
In that context, it was a nice touch.
It also helps to enhance the impending sense of panic when the things keep getting back up again after yet another hail of fire (you want to use enough ammo to do the job right, so you let loose with a burst, but you don't want to waste all your ammo, so you make it a quick burst, and hope the thing STAYS DOWN!!!).

Also, one of my favorite conversational exchanges occurred while watching my little brother play. My dad and I were clustered around my computer while my younger brother played. It was in one of the earlier missions, and he 'cleared' a section of the passageway and confidently started walking forward. Of course, the motion tracker doesn't cover what's behind you, and before he knew it, a xenomorph had run up behind him. He turned at the last moment (the shrieks are probably what tipped him off), and killed it. Same thing happened again. He was starting to wonder about this, and commented something to the effect of, "I thought I'd cleared this passageway."
I smirked and said, "You've never seen the movies, have you?" My dad and I both chuckled over that.
And no, my brother hasn't seen them.

Originally posted by junior

A few games manage to work with the atmosphere. The AvP games are probably the best known of this type. One of my freakiest moments playing the first game was while I was playing the marine missions and I blew the legs off of an alien - the thing kept coming! Sure, it wasn't running anymore (the shredded remains of its legs were lying in a puddle of acid on the floor, after all), but it was using its arms to slowly crawl across the floor toward me! I paused for a moment in pure, freaked out admiration of the group that had designed the game, and then blew its head off (the one sure way to stop the things).

That reminds me of when my roommate was playing that game! His scanner was going off, and he shot the hell out of this alien-then I jumped at him and screamed, so he just started firing! The best thing was that an alien jumped in right after that and he had to kill it! I thought the man was gonna have a heartattack! :cool:

Now THAT'S gettin' into a game! I know I get like that when I play Ghost Recon sometimes! (I've never been a big FPS unless it's these "Special Forces/Secret Ops" types things.)

Originally posted by WildWeasel
I'm sure they're great if you're using the machine for Windows and DOS. We were talking about DOS-only machines.
My Windows 98 Pentium and my Windows 3.1 and DOS 386. :) And yes, I only use the one setting for all the DOS games.

Originally posted by Torpedonut
I'm a Christian, please don't flame me for it...
There won't be any flaming if you don't push too hard in that direction. ;) I'm Christian too, I tend to avoid FPS games in general too, but I love GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. I could never take another person's life in cold blood, and I don't feel these games affect my decision to kill or not in real life that much. It's a difficult debate - violence and gore in games - maybe it's just in a country like Australia where guns aren't everywhere (I hope not, anyway), that I'm less exposed to the possibility of going crazy on a killing spree.

Originally posted by Delta_Strife
I agree cutscences is what makes WC great! I just thought of anouther reason I like the older games because there ideas were new and exciting. Like what LOAF said new games are just rip offs of older games.

You call them rip ofs, I call them improvements. You can't expect designers and programmers to come up with something new each year, nor should they try to reinvent the wheel each time. Progress is also made by improving on old concepts.

I'm a christian too, but I can distinguish between what's real and what's virtual. The two worlds are entirely different.
On the other hand, I can't tolerate watching the news; just coz the stuff there is real.
So I'm desensitized, but only to virtual things.

Since when is being Christian not allow you to play FPS games?
And, Christ Almighty, since when did Christians not have a huge bloody history of slaughtering millions of people during the Crusades, which apparently, is a meek and minor sin compared to killing a Pigcop in Duke Nukem 3D.

Guilt by association.

It's funny: the Catholic Church can call a whole slew of people sinners but the moment they're in trouble for molesting children, they seem to shut right up.

(And no more talking about religion damn it.)

I wasn't fighting. Noone was.
Althought LeHah was controversial then decided he didn't want to talk about it.
I guess that's the end of that.

Back