Old Vs New

I have 3 specific computers running DOS for the older WC games, plus other older DOS games. I still find myself playing the older games more often. If only Privateer could have higher resolution graphics! ;)

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

I have two computers and one is just set up to run the old dos games. I think the older games run better with less glitches! Like today i was playing half-life and it froze twice!

I also have a DOS machine, it's a old IBM 330 P60. I have Armada, Privateer 1, Righteous Fire, Academy, Renegade: Jacob's Star and Star Controller 3 all install on it. I've created a menu driven autoexec.bat and config.sys so all I have to do is pick a number to launch the game I wish to play.

Originally posted by Wedge009
That's pretty much the only reason for playing WC. ;) If there weren't cutscenes with a good storyline (eg Academy), I wouldn't try to play it so often.
Whoah: WC *Academy* has cutscenes?... Tell me about this!...

Yeah, I've done the whole menu procedure, too.

It almost seems like a waste of time, though. Granted, I don't know the memory requirements for Renegade and Star Controller, but if you find a configuration that Privateer works in, Academy, Armada, and Righteous Fire should work, as well.

(Unless, of course, the entire purpose of the menu is just so that you don't have to switch directories and start the game yourself. If that's the case, then you're just lazy.)

Originally posted by RFBurns
I am somewhat surprised to see the new Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast game using the Quake 3 engine!!!

Jedi Outcast is a brilliant and beautiful game. I absolutely love it.

Unreal Tournament is what got me into online gaming heavily, so it's always one of my faves.

I also love my AvP2 :cool:

Originally posted by Preacher
Whoah: WC *Academy* has cutscenes?... Tell me about this!...
You misinterpreted - I meant WCA lack of cutscenes means I'm not kept interested in it. I have no creative talent for making missions, so I the only reason to really play WCA is the Wraith and Jrathek, which are in Armada (and in 3D!), anyway.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Yeah, I've done the whole menu procedure, too. It almost seems like a waste of time, though.
Not for me. I used to use bootdisks, but once I worked out how to make the menus, I did. And I only have two setups - normal XMS setup for Windows etc, and EMS for old DOS games.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Not for me. I used to use bootdisks, but once I worked out how to make the menus, I did. And I only have two setups - normal XMS setup for Windows etc, and EMS for old DOS games.

I'm sure they're great if you're using the machine for Windows and DOS. We were talking about DOS-only machines.

Yeah, I've done the whole menu procedure, too.

It almost seems like a waste of time, though. Granted, I don't know the memory requirements for Renegade and Star Controller, but if you find a configuration that Privateer works in, Academy, Armada, and Righteous Fire should work, as well.

(Unless, of course, the entire purpose of the menu is just so that you don't have to switch directories and start the game yourself. If that's the case, then you're just lazy.)
I have a memory setting set for each game. That the main reason for having a menu driven boot files. If you wish I can email you my boot files so you can examine them yourself. Just post your email address. Nothing lasy about creating a menu. As a unix admin you write batch files all the time.

I was quite aware of the menu's purpose. My point was that if all the games work with Privateer's memory settings, why not just use that configuration all the time and save yourself the trouble?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I think Half Life is the best evidence that gaming today is stupid. It's hailed as the greatest game in the history of the univerese because of its amazing story: the story is that evil aliens from another dimension are attacking you for some reason.

I think it's the way the story was told rather than what it is. Although I do agree that it is'nt the greatest , it was excellent for its time and still holds up well today.

I wasn't exactly overawed by the way the story in halflife was told...

It wasn't even enough to get me to finish the game... which I've even done in games like Quake II where there isn't a story.

I was quite aware of the menu's purpose. My point was that if all the games work with Privateer's memory settings, why not just use that configuration all the time and save yourself the trouble?
They don't use the same memory setting as P1. Each game needs there own settings for optimizing each game's performance.

I guess its a matter of taste then. The FPS genre is'nt my favorite although I did find time to play Half-Life all the way through. Quake II was good too come to think of it..... didnt finish it though.

I haven't noticed any difference between how they normally run and how they run under Privateer's memory settings.
It's doesn't really matter if you can see the difference or not. As a Sys Admin I get pay to make things as simple as possible. Since the days computers and punch cards were first created we been creating batch files so we don't have to keep entering the same commands over and over again.

Which is easier to do? Type twenty lines of code over and over again or just just select one number to run whose twenty lines of code anytime you what. What you may call lazy, people get paid $70K+ yr to make even better.

Wait... to me it seems like you just said the following:

1) It doesn't matter if you see a performance change
2) Creating specific batch files to optimize performance, the change in which you can't see, is more efficient that using only one game setup
3) Using the more complex system in 2 is somehow a good thing, even though it creates the very repetition you seem to hate.

Do you care to clarify?

TC, do you use the exact same memory settings you use for P1 for each DOS base WC game? I know I don't.

No, but only because I play the WC2 games in Windows and I use a different computer for the first game. On both of my previous computers I did indeed use the setup I'd originally created for Privateer for the rest.

It's nice that you like to talk about your job whenever possible, but it really isn't relevant. As long as there isn't any difference in performance, using Privateer's configuration settings is a fine way to make Academy, Armada, and Righteous Fire work.

Back