Old Vs New

Originally posted by Torpedonut
(Sorry if I offend any FPS fans with this next line) It was proven that the two idiots who perpetrated the Columbine high school shooting played FPS games.

And Hitler read and wrote books. Your point? Correlation does not indicate causality.

Hitler was mean and evil and had that stupid mustache but he must have read some books to make a developed nation follow him blindly.

I agree, these games would have very little to do with kids going around shooting other kids, or even becoming violent.

It goes MUCH deeper than a game. Perhaps the lack of involvement by the parents, the kids peers and so on. Maybe they were cast out by their peers, and felt left out, forcing them to find a way to get that attention they could not get from anywhere else.

Stability starts in the home. If not there, it cannot be found easily elsewhere.

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

That is true. Perhaps the father is a violent man. Or owns firearms - too often I hear of children taking off with their father's pistols and going on a shooting rampage - the father is held responsible for not keeping the weapons locked up properly. The child could already be mentally [and/or emotionally] unstable. There are hundreds of other reasons.

The great thing about Video Games is how easily they're scape-goated. Ignorant parents fed mix-media messages from the press facilitates in the thought that they're "dangerous".

I find it humorous that parents will use the tv and video games to baby sit their children and then denounce them when their kids do something unacceptable.

I just realised something. My 13 year old brother probably plays my Perfect Dark more than I do, yet in the outside world (ie at school, etc), he wouldn't be able to defend himself, let alone go slaughtering people. :)

Originally posted by Torpedonut
(Sorry if I offend any FPS fans with this next line) It was proven that the two idiots who perpetrated the Columbine high school shooting played FPS games.

These are facts many "middle-aged" associations are using to claim that video games are evil. We've got one here in France ("French Families") that is so powerful (and rich) that it succeeds in forbidding video games.

It happened with GTA, for instance...

Now murderers say that they killed because of a video game... it's easy... "that is not my fault; I got influenced by a FPS game", so they forbid the game... but it does not change anything.

Indeed, it's easier to blame a game than looking for those who gave the guy a weapon.

in my opinion the older games were the best you know when people grow older they tend to hang on to there youth like myself the first time i played WC was in 1993 it was also the first time i played on the comp, man it was the bomb, finally as i got older i got more influenced to own a computer and the first game i had gotten was wing commander on 3.5 floppy and to this day i still play it over and over because everytime i play it i imagine myself playing as if it just came out because back then having a computer was a luxury and it was actually defined as your " personal computer" now its everyones computer
p.s. sorry to bore anyone with my stroll down memory lane :eek:

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

Originally posted by Soma
I find it humorous that parents will use the tv and video games to baby sit their children and then denounce them when their kids do something unacceptable.

That's indeed true.
As you might know, there has been a Colombine-like incident here in Germany, in the city of Erfurt. Everybody was blaming video games, especially Counterstrike, because the killer played it. Later on, some newspaper revisited their first article and brought some correct insights on LAN-parties with Counterstrike.
Apparently their one guy wrote some words under an article that blamed computer games and his words are really fitting: (This is tranlasted from German)

When the last LAN is closed, Countrike forbidden and the Internet censored, you'll realize that you have to educate your children

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

When the last LAN is closed, Countrike forbidden and the Internet censored, you'll realize that you have to educate your children

I like that. :) I saw a poster that said something to the effect of "Don't take away my rights because you can't control your children."

I'm surprised though that no one has brought up Japan as an example, they're reknown for graphic content and sexually explicit games yet their crime rate is lower than the U.S.'s (wish I could find the article I read that in for a quote).

I can't say much on the way other countries are but in the US there seems to be an overwhelming majority of parents who just can't face facts about their children and deal with reality. Most parents I run into are still too selfish to actually spend time with their children to teach them right from wrong. People need scapegoats because they can't bear to think that they might have been able to curb a tradegy had they been responsible. It erally pisses me off to have some closed minded people trying to tell me what I can and cannot do, if you don't like violence in games or mvies don't play/watch them but don't take that right away from me...

Yeah, Japan is an exellent example of violent images without a lot of murderes. But then hardly anybody over there has a gun, and the culture teaches responsibility for your actions, to the point of self destruction for the overall good. (Though this is less common now) Not to say that this is inherently a bad thing.

Of course the flip side is that the cause of women's equality in Japan is about where it was in the fifties in the US.

If I'm correct, it was the japanese who had an empress in some dynasty ages ago.
hmm... that doesn't sound too intelligent.

Originally posted by Soma

It erally pisses me off to have some closed minded people trying to tell me what I can and cannot do, if you don't like violence in games or mvies don't play/watch them but don't take that right away from me...

(Not to bring up political inclinations, but to accent this point) That's why I'm a Liberatarian. I just can't stand all those damn activist groups running around trying to get the government to ban certain things (video games, music, etc.) because it's "wrong and dangerous."

Originally posted by Filler
If I'm correct, it was the japanese who had an empress in some dynasty ages ago.
hmm... that doesn't sound too intelligent.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Dowager Empress of China. The one who sought to use a radical sect- the Boxers to rid China of foreign influence. The Boxers thought that by doing some martial arts move they would be impervious to bullets. Long story short this pretty much set the stage for the permanent downfall of the Chinese monarchy. (The Last Emporor is truly a great movie)

Japan (to my knowlege) has never had a female ruler. There were empresses, but they were just the emporor's wife.

Originally posted by Quarto
Wow... I pray that you're only pretending to have overlooked LOAF's sarcasm, Starkey...

I was.

Quarto, why don´t you, Wedge and Mekt have your own "graphic and rank"?

Back