Boomboom

I don't actually know. The Wildcat was F4... Hellcat was F6... and Corsair was F4U... hmm... no, I have no idea.
Anybody?

Found it. F5F was... Skyrocket. The reason why it's so obscure is because it never went into production. It had twin engines and a bloody weird shape. The design eventually contributed to their F7F design, which indeed was the Tigercat, as you had said.

The Corsair is unrelated... the designations for naval aircraft during WW2 were different than they are today. The first letter is the type of aircraft (F for fighter, T for torpedo plane, etc), the last letter (F for Grumman, U for Vaught, etc) is the manufacturer and the number is the number of aircraft of that type submitted by said designer. So F4U is the 4th Fighter submitted to the navy by Chance-Vought, and F6F is the 6th fighter from Grumman... and so forth and so on...

Yep... for some reason, I only figured that out when I checked up to find the F5F (see my post below). I still think Skyrocket is a lame name
smile.gif
. No wonder they didn't use it in WC
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Chernikov said:
The CMD doesnt take that long to charge. The problem is if you miss a lot

Hmmm... Never noticed either of those when I'm using a CMD... (We ARE talking about the Charging Mass Driver, right?) The charge time's relative to how much damage you want to do, and if you're fighting BUGS, they're right in fromnt of you anyways... Taunt them a few times, and they 'vector straight in on you.'

Quarto said:
Yes... long live the Dust Cannon, and the Scimitar!

Just so long as we don't combine the two, Quarto... The Dust Cannon does not belong on an inferior fighter such as the Scimitar... It should be Arrow- and Wasp-specific.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

[This message has been edited by Anagram (edited May 30, 2000).]

I'm sorry, but I have to Agree with Quarto here, Scimitars are the shit.

------------------
Hats off to the new-age hairstyle made of bones,
Hats off to the use of hats as megaphones...

-Frosty

Anagram: they DONT take that long to charge (three seconds to max damage?), and the only time you can really miss a lot is if it your first Wing Commander experience and you are trying to fly using a keyboard...

Others: The Dust Cannon would be perfect for the Arrow. Wouldnt take nearly so long to get the energy pool released into the target. A far better plan than taking forever to stream lasers into your target, although if the burst misses you have problems... moreso if youre flying an Armada era Arrow..

------------------
You deal death with your roars and your screams, your threats, your taunts, your overblown ego. I hand it out, one with the steel and the silence, the blackness around me, with a thought.

Chernikov said:
Anagram: they DONT take that long to charge (three seconds to max damage?)

I know this... I read the other post wrong. My bad.

, and the only time you can really miss a lot is if it your first Wing Commander experience and you are trying to fly using a keyboard...

I was agreeing with you about that.

Others: The Dust Cannon would be perfect for the Arrow. Wouldnt take nearly so long to get the energy pool released into the target. A far better plan than taking forever to stream lasers into your target, although if the burst misses you have problems... moreso if youre flying an Armada era Arrow..

Finally! Someone with sense!! Think about it everyone... The Arrow is a small target, quite capable of moving quickly, and a pair of Dust Cannons would serve it much better than it's 'Dragon-Tongue' lasers. I call them that because the lasers always have resembled a dragon's tongue to me. Anyhoo, a Dust Cannon's firing rate is very high, and its damage is reasonable... Let's face it, we take down Devil Rays with the blasted thing in no time flat. With the Arrow's recharge rate (I seem to remember it being high), the Arrow would rock. Sure, it'd need some more Decoys, but we could lose a couple of missiles off of it, and not lose manoeuvreability. I think it'd ROCK!

Death's Head said:
Dust Cannons have no business being on Arrows.
Originally posted by Quarto:
Aye. The Arrows will never see a dust cannon mounted on their pathetic nose.

Why not? The Arrow deserves an overhaul. They'd be cheaper to build for Confed than say, a Vampire, a Dragon, an Excal, or a Devastator... Hell... If you two are so against it, I think I'll MAKE one, and post it to the CIC...
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

THE DUST CANNON WILL BE MOUNTED ON AN ARROW!!!!! *Mwahahahahahahaha*

------------------

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Death's Head said:
The Arrow recharges at 20nj/sec, the slowest rate of all WC3/4 fighters.

Really? Never really noticed... *thinks* We'll have to fix that...

------------------

Personally, my dream machine would be a light fighter with configured with about 6 lasers and 2 stormfires. If I need the space I'll drop some armor. I'll probable need a few extra heat sinks as well. Beef up the engin, so that it's fast too. That's what I wanna fly.

-=DeltaKiller=-

Anagram: Go ahead and fix it then. But remember to increase the weight and lose your internal missile bay (so as to fit in a bigger power plant). And of course, slow down the max speed and manoeuvrability...
Why not just mount Stormfire IIs? They'll do fine for short missions. Which, of course, is all that the Arrow is good for.

What are you talking about Quarto? Bigger powerplant for what? The damn dust cannons' can't weight that much more than lasers.

My ultimate fighter would be the Pirranah, with 3 dustcannons instead of ions, and replace that laser with a single firing tachyon(it can only be fired by itself, not fire linked). Drop the stormfireII, because I like the originals better. And Quarto, the Arrows kick ass, for any mission. Light, manuverable, quick, and with DCs, powerful little buggers. If you lose missles, oh well, because you won't need them if you can fly worth a damn anyway.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

A bigger powerplant to maintain a decent rate of fire from the dust cannon, Knight.

And that Piranha would be shot down all too quickly, since it could never use the dust cannons properly.

The Arrows are all right, but nothing to get excited about. 'Cept perhaps the Armada Arrows, which were rather neat. Very appropriately named, too (and I don't mean because of the shape).

Arrows.

*sigh, swigs O'Douls*

I take 'em out alot when I'm in a Banshee. Personally, I'd take that over an Arrow.

My thoughts,

-=DeltaKiller=-

Quarto said:
Anagram: Go ahead and fix it then. But remember to increase the weight and lose your internal missile bay (so as to fit in a bigger power plant). And of course, slow down the max speed and manoeuvrability...
Why not just mount Stormfire IIs? They'll do fine for short missions. Which, of course, is all that the Arrow is good for.

What?? You mean ... Keep the thing BALANCED??! So no adding 1m of Durasteel armor, and keeping its speed the same?? Why... The thought of that is just ...

biggrin.gif

OF COURSE I'd lower the max speed, and the like! I don't CHEAT.

And Arrows CAN be used for long missions, you just have to fly well, Quarto. *S*

DeltaKiller said:
Arrows.
*sigh, swigs O'Douls*

I take 'em out alot when I'm in a Banshee. Personally, I'd take that over an Arrow.

That's because they're computer AI's... Not human intelligences.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Anagram (edited June 01, 2000).]

Back