Phil's Computer Lab has posted a detailed how-to "tweak guide" for the GOG edition of Wing Commander 3. One of the biggest benefits of the GOG releases are that they automatically just work, but that's not to say that various install options can be customized or improved to fit each player's tastes. Many people these days are not as fluent in DOS settings, so this can be helpful for fans who didn't realize these options still existed in the game. It also brings back a flood of great memories to see things like the Victory spinning around during the installer's initial speed test. Check it out below!
I will cover:
- Configuring the game for General MIDI
- Using VirtualMIDISynth and SoundFonts
- How to toggle subtitles
- How to change the language to German or French (Text only)
- How make the graphics smoother when moving around the ship
- Setting the perfect cycle speed to avoid some bugs
- Boost the sample rate for digital speech and sound effects
- Configure joystick as input device
- Configure joystick hat and rudder with the game
At the end you can watch me play the game a little bit (first mission).