Your WC dream ship?

Well guys, this thread isn't about what the best ships are but what your personal dream ship is! Sorry for asking but what is a Thud? :rolleyes: I can't remember... Shame on me!

So many ships to choose from, tho I listed my choices in an earlier post, I wouldnt mind throwing in a carrier or two to boot! :D (gots to have something to land on out there in the middle of vast nowhere!)

Thud--Thunderbolt

Well guys, this thread isn't about what the best ships are but what your personal dream ship is! Sorry for asking but what is a Thud?

Hum, I guess you're right...
My DREAM ship would be a Steltek fighter =)

As I said before:
1. Dragon
2. Excalibur
3. Avenger
I'll also throw in the Bearcat, and the T-bolt.

As far as my choices for carriers:
1. Vesuvius-class
2. Midway-class
3. Concordia-class
4. Durango-class (I always liked the Intrepid, 'cuz that ship and her crew stuck it out against overwhelming odds, and came out on top.)

Ill take the Steltek Drone with is massive X pattern forward guns! The sound it makes when fireing is awsome too!

Lunitari said:
I fondly remember flying the heavy Raptor in the original WC. I loved that ship. By the time WC 2 rolled around, it was the Epee, and in WC 3 the Excalibur was THE ship.

I said it in the "Worst Fighter" thread and I'll say it again: Epee = crap. I'd take any other light fighter over that pile. I'm all about the Raptor - my first love. Honorable mentions to the Excalibur, Dragon, and Vampire.

The Fly said:
If the cockpits would cancel out g-forces, the pilots wouldn't need those flight suits. Ofcourse pilots are under extreem stress while flying those spacecrafts. Remember that Maniac sayd that he took someone with him that had to puke when he made a few rolls? Comparing equal pilots is unrealistic... in reality there are no equal pilots. It depends on your physical abilities and your flying style what the best spacecraft for you is.

Um, guys...when you're in space there are no g-forces. That's why they call it zero-g...as in no gravity. The only reason for "flight" suits (which are really just space suits) is so that you will survive in space if you have to eject.

And the line about the puking person due to rolls would most likely be due to vertigo...not from some "extreme stress" exerted on the body of the pilot/co-pilot. Anyways, just thought I'd point that out.

G forces can be produced in space which is zero G. The laws of motion, ie for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction does occur in space as well as in a
gravity environment. NASA has done studies on artifical gravity systems in Skylab and on the ISS, as well as the Russians doing some experiments on board the late MIR station, where by rotating plates, they measured gravitic pressures on the sensors mounted to the plates. In effect, you can create an artifical gravity chamber simply by rotating it at a certian rpm and duplicate the gravity as it is on a surface of a planet.

So within a ship, with no artificial gravity or inertia dampers, like the space shuttle, when that thing fires its course correcting thrusters, why do you suppose the astronauts "buckle up" before performing the manuver? If one of them were to stand up against a bulkhead when the manuver is performed, the astronaut would feel G forces created by the sudden change in ship attitude and speed. Until the astronaut matches the speed and attitude, he/she will remain stuck on that bulkhead, caused by the G forces created during the acceleration or manuver.

If gravity did not exsist in space...then all the planets and stars would be floating about in countless directions. Gravity is what keeps the planets in check and in orbit around the sun..due to the sun's gravitic forces pulling on them.

NASA has a bunch of great data at their website on space physics and how the astronauts deal with these issues during missions.

RFBurns said:
As to the Hellcat V craft..I find it a good general purpose type ship, perhaps best suited for localized patrol and perhaps tactical support. But I would definately not rely on the Hellcat V for a sustained battle, it simply is not beefy enough for that.

And the flight suit thing....military fighter pilots woudlnt need a flight suit either since the craft is inside a breathable atmosphere, they usually put on oxygen masks when reaching certian altitudes (10,000 or above), but the flight suit in general really has no bearing on a pilots skills or ability to fly a fighter, be it a space craft or aircraft.

I dont see too many 747 or learjet pilots wearing flight suits and those craft reach altitudes of 38,000 feet and higher. :)

dude you clearly know nothing about flight suits... there are air expansion bags in the flight suits of combat pilots that help but presure on the body of the pilot so not all the blood drain away from his brains while pulling positive Gs. Pilots even get air pumped into their loungs from the suit. Ofcourse the space suits help... there is very heavy G force on the pilots... Why else do you think that Seether is the ultimate pilot??? He's genetically engineered to be the perfect pilot. He can withstand much higher stress then normal humans would. And while under this presure he can react much better then normal humans would. If this wouldn't be true then it would only be about the spacecrafts. How else would a longbow ever be able to get behind a Dralthi? A faster turning craft would always win if you where right. In the game and in realitie this isn't the case. Pilots don't pull their stick all the way to the limits. Because it would make them fade out. This is why an Arrow wont always win from a Hellcat. It's all about what the pilot can take. If what you say is true then a arrow vs arrow battle would always be undicided because they would just turn after eachother at the maximum turn angle. This is not the case ofcourse. So get fucking man! If this aint true then why did the guy that Maniac was talking about puking while he was turning a few roles???

Flight suits have nothing to do with altitudes... they are pure for withstanding G-forces. The Wing Commander suits that are seen in WC III and WC IV are much bigger then the ones currently used.

Hellcat is like an F-16 of our age... An F-15 outperforms the F-16 in dogfight and it doesn't pack the fire power of a A-10 nor does it has the stealth abilies of the F-117 or B-2. But still it's the most used western aircraft there is.

RFBurns said:
So within a ship, with no artificial gravity or inertia dampers, like the space shuttle, when that thing fires its course correcting thrusters, why do you suppose the astronauts "buckle up" before performing the manuver? If one of them were to stand up against a bulkhead when the manuver is performed, the astronaut would feel G forces created by the sudden change in ship attitude and speed. Until the astronaut matches the speed and attitude, he/she will remain stuck on that bulkhead, caused by the G forces created during the acceleration or manuver.

I would imagine it is because, while the ship is altering its velocity, the inhabitants do not change their velocity (unless they are directly connected to the ship via a harness). If a person were not buckled in a seat, then when the ship accelerates, the person would be slammed into the back of the bulkhead (this is because the person is not moving proportionally to the space craft). And, as you mentioned, until the person matches the velocity of the space craft, he/she will be stuck to the wall. However, this is not due to any real gravity. It is just the ship moving around the inhabitant.

RFBurns said:
If gravity did not exsist in space...then all the planets and stars would be floating about in countless directions. Gravity is what keeps the planets in check and in orbit around the sun..due to the sun's gravitic forces pulling on them.

Yes, of course gravity exists in space...but only when in proximity to a stellar body. If you were to go out far enough, negated your velocity (so you are no longer in motion), you would just sit there and you would not be moved by whatever infintesimal gravity might be affecting you.

When people talk about G-forces in the context of airplane maneuvers, it is a multiplicative effect (5G's is 5 times normal gravity, 9G's is 9 times normal gravity. Because of this, if the effects of gravity are truly infintesimal (I'm talking less than 1% of 1% of normal (Earth-bound) gravity), it would take a tremendous maneuver to make anybody in the space-craft subject to blacking out or what-have-you. Basically, the only stresses that the pilot would be subjected to would be those being made by the space-craft itself (essentially pushing the pilot around to match its velocity/vector).

Not sure if I made my point clear or not. But, if there needs to be further clarification, I would be happy to participate in a different thread. At least, not one designated to posting what we consider to be our dream ship from the WC universe.

Speaking of which...I think I'll add to my original post by including my dream ship if I had to choose from the Kilrathi fleet: The Gothri. She may not be the latest and greatest in the Kilrathi fleet, but she just looks sleek and mean.

EDIT: Now that I think about it a bit, I suppose the stresses induced by the space craft changing vectors/velocity could be similar to what normal airplane G-forces produce. I mean, if you change the vector of the craft too sharply, the space craft has to 'push' your body to match its new vector. If your body can't handle it, somebody's gonna have to mop you up off the cockpit floor.

Um, guys...when you're in space there are no g-forces. That's why they call it zero-g...as in no gravity. The only reason for "flight" suits (which are really just space suits) is so that you will survive in space if you have to eject.

And the line about the puking person due to rolls would most likely be due to vertigo...not from some "extreme stress" exerted on the body of the pilot/co-pilot. Anyways, just thought I'd point that out.

You, kid, are too ignorant to deserve an explanation of basic physics.

I hope someone teaches you these things one day.

Edfilho said:
You, kid, are too ignorant to deserve an explanation of basic physics.

I hope someone teaches you these things one day.

Did you happen to read my post? The one directly above the one you just made? If you did, did you happen to read the EDIT that I made in it?

If it wasn't clear, I recanted my claim about g-forces on the basis that the ship is putting stresses on the pilots body. For a while there, I believed that gravity had a part in 'gravity forces'...but I was wrong. And I already posted as such.

And why did you have to bring age into it? I mean, you could have just posted "Dude, 2 words...centrifugal forces." and that would have cleared it right up. Okay, so it's been 6-8 years since I had a physics class (that actually had a section on gravity)...big deal. There's simply no excuse to get all combative about it. However, if you want to be an a-hole about it...that's your perogative. However, just make sure you read everything that I posted (even my edits) before you attack me.

Back on-topic now: Now that I think about it...while the Gothri was cool...the Vaktoth was simply vicious looking. I think I'd go with that as my dream Kilrathi ship.

Um, you might want to recheck your physics there Mr. Hawking......... Good, I see someone beat me to the post.

McGruff said:
Um, you might want to recheck your physics there Mr. Hawking......... Good, I see someone beat me to the post.

If you're talking to me, I beat myself to it. Why do people not read my edits? I mean, it's right there at the end, it's not exactly nestled in the body of my text, hidden from the eyes of people who just glance over it. If people just take the time to read my entire post(s) they will see that I already recanted my "no g-forces in space" claim. I'm sorry, but it's something of a pet peeve of mine (along with people not signaling when they make a turn), but if you're going to read a post of mine (or anybody else's), you should ready the whole bloody thing. If you don't read the entire post, don't reply.

So...please please please, before you post anything in response to one of my posts (or somebody else's for that matter), read the whole post. </soap-box rant>

Umm, y'all remember those little "inertia dampener" things, right? Y'know, the box thingy with the upside down cross sticking out of the top of it in your Damage VDU, in WC1? That is why you don't become extra-chunky salsa the second you yank back on the stick at 400kps, not gravity.

As for the pissy attitudes, everybody chill out. If anyone is unable to do that, let me know, and I'll give you a week's vacation from the board, suitable for quiet contemplation about the error(s) of your ways.

My apologies Death. As I said, it's a little pet peeve of mine.

Anyways, I suppose I should post something relevant to the thread:

Dream Border World fighter: Avenger (those stormfire Mk2's sounded awesome)
Dream Confed fighter (Centurion is not Confed, IIRC): multiple, see below

WC1 era: Hornet. Sure, it's not the fastest or the most powerful...but just look at her...ain't she beautiful?

WC2 era: Sabre...plain and simple
WC3 era: Arrow. I'd love to fly around in a fast flying triangle
WC4 era: Does the Dragon count as a Confed fighter? If not, then the Excalibur
WCP era: Panther. Gotta love the turning rate on that baby.

I think that about covers it...oh, wait. Forgot about CIS ships (from Privateer 2): Heretic. It's like flying a giant tuning fork.

Back