Your WC dream ship?

Because Kilrathi think differently than we do. Plus, Hobbes had several hundred hours flying in a T-bolt, and probably less than one in any Kilrathi fighter. Seems to me that they should put him in a craft he'll be capable of flying.

I wonder what Hobbes did before he gets owned by Blair after he defected... Maybe he went tricking confed pilots with his Thud. Who knows? :rolleyes:

Since it isn't a very long time between his defection and his untimely demise, I'd say he spent most of his time in debriefing. That was probably the first time he'd even touched his fighter since his return to Kilrah.

I guess I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in...
1. Ferret
2. Raptor
3. Piranha/Hornet (tie)
4. Sabre
5. Orion (Priv1)

And as far as the whole Hellcat/F-16 argument goes, the fact is that every military in the world has one or two baseline aircraft, and relatively few "superfighters." Just think: the U.S. military has loads of F-16s and F/A-18s, 'cause they've been around for years and are relatively cheap to produce. On the other hand, we've only got a handful of F-22 Raptors, and the F-35 is just now entering production. If you analogize the F-16/FA-18 to the Hellcat, and the F-22 or F-35 to an Excal or Dragon, you'd have a pretty close Real World/Wing Commander approximation. The reason that the Arrow or Thud-7 never became the baseline fighter is the same reason that the F-5 or A-10 isn't the mainstream U.S. fighter now: diversification over specialization.

I seem to recall a reference to pilots of the pre-war era either hating or loving a certain ship (Action Stations. Ship was the Hurricane, maybe?)

From what I gathered, the ones who loved the ship were the ones who had the skill to fly it and live. The only people who hated it were the ones that knew they weren't any damned good in it.

I'm pretty sure that applies to Hellcats, too.

My HS football coach agrees with you overmortal. He always said the only reason you hated doing something was because you weren't any good at it. You made damn sure he didn't hear you say you hated anything conditioning/play/drill related or you'd be doing it for the rest of the afternoon.

I happen to love the Hellcat for a simple reason . . . I'm not that great of a shot but I'm far above average in the ol' WC piloting abilities. So, I can make an Arrow stand on end (though I have a tendency to overcontrol it - same reason I like the Panther more than the Vampire), but its gun selection doesn't give me much bang for my limited hits. The Thud gives you that bang, but the fact that a Dralthi can make you look like your standing still doesn't give me the manueverability to get my whole 3 salvos of gun energy on the target long enough to do enough damage (even the Darkets on Nightmare seem to need more than a single salvo from the Thuds guns - that may just be due ot my poor marksmenship). So what do I have before me? A ship that gives me more bang for each hit I register than the Arrow, a decent amount of cap energy, and enough manueverability for my flying skills to exploit to its fullest? Sign me up :D

C-ya

Oh yeah? I'm so good, I beat a series of video games where you pilot a handful of spaceships against aliens! All by myself, too!

I destroyed a whole planet with a bomb that fit onto my nifty spiffy fighter and I flew down a canyon all by myself

We all have our glory moments in the cockpit. Mine was this one time in WC3 when I had a Vaktoth on my 6, and I noticed an asteroid field up ahead. I go into some fancy evasives, insult him a few times to get him to chase me, and as soon as I'm nearing a particularly large rock, with him still behind me, I go full burn, yank up, and the cat goes into the rock at full burn! I was like "Next time, why don't you clean your cockpit canopy before you launch, fleabag!" :D

I remember once in Privateer 1, I had made 6 of my 7 nav points on a full-system patrol of the Troy system. My Tarsus was doing fine until I hit the 7th NAV, when I ran into 3 pirate Talons with the heavy mass driver-and-particle loadout. I'd gotten my targeting, shields, lasers, and manuevering jets pretty banged up taking out the first, and I'd managed to heavily damage the other two. I was chasing one, but since both my and his thrusters were damaged, we weren't making great speed, and the other Talon managed to keep up right behind me. As he took potshots at me, I kept my afterburners on full, juking to avoid his fire while trying to get a decent shot at the bugger in front.
Imagine my suprise when a full volley from the fighter tailing me slammed right into the unshielded rear of the bogey I was chasing, lighting him up like a Christmas tree! I turned on the last Talon and dispatched him without too much trouble, and managed to limp home to Achilles to nurse my poor old ship back to health. (*note to self: save up for a repair droid...)

One time, in WC3, I was in an Arrow, with a Vaktoth tailing pretty far behind me. I didn't want to turn around and take him on (I'd had a rough day on Nightmare), so I got this idea. I dropped one decoy, and watched it in my rearview screen. When he was perfectly lined up in my wake, I dropped the rest of my decoys. Turns out, if enough decoys hit a fighter, they'll do a lot of damage. It took most of the rest of my decoys, but I killed the Vaktoth without firing my guns, or even turning around.

yeah, I took out Seether in WC4 with decoy and a mine, it was awesome. of course, I had invul turned on jut to try that out.

Dundradal said:
I destroyed a whole planet with a bomb that fit onto my nifty spiffy fighter and I flew down a canyon all by myself

We've all done that--it's required to beat WC3. :D

Iceman16 said:
yeah, I took out Seether in WC4 with decoy and a mine, it was awesome. of course, I had invul turned on jut to try that out.

It seems that Seether is only able to surf on his OWN mines. :D

Back