Your WC dream ship?

WCP is 10 years after WC IV. That's the beginning of a new arming cycle in Confed terms. All of the older fighters are still there, in the Reserves and aboard other ships. The Midway has all the new stuff because she's a new ship. Also, the Bearcat's replacement is the Wasp, not the Tigershark, which is a replacement, technically, for the Hellcat.

The Excalibur is around during the general WCP timeframe, used aboard Murphy-class destroyers in WCSO, as is the Thunderbolt. The Bearcat is primarily a reserves and militia craft as of WCP/WCSO.

As for the Dragon... well, that's a whole thread in itself (several, in fact, accordng to a brief stroll through the forums with the search function). Long story short, expensive to produce and a political liability given how they were used in WC4. It's also outclassed by cheaper, WCP-era space superiority fighters (that also have the benefit of the anti-cloaking optics first featured in the Dragon, negating one of the major benefits of the Dragon).

Not to mention the whole idea behind the Dragon ("let's throw all sorts of toys together and make a superbadass uberfighter!") is munchkin as hell, and probably one of the cheesiest plot devices in all of WC. Yes, I am including the Pilgrim stuff in that "all of WC". :p

BigsWickDagger said:
Hey Death, get back on the porch. :p

Would you care to explain that, before I gouge your eyes out and skull-fuck you?

But don't you guys think munchkins are so cute though. Nothing like gamers with the mentality of a 12 year old that want to be the best most powerful, fastest, strongest, smartest everything.

Ever hear a character flaws lol.

Sure one on one the Dragon could probably beat any fighter from its era, but it costs like how many times more, it don't really help for operations if your opponents can field a squadron for the cost of one of your fighters. Sure the Bearcat couldn't shoot down a Dragon before it cloaks, but ten might.

The Dragon holds a specific nitch (at least for a meglomaniac), a specially armed and equipped fighter used in black ops, or clandestine attacks and raids. Almost the SEALs of spacecraft.

Looks cool as hell though.

Death said:
Would you care to explain that, before I gouge your eyes out and skull-fuck you?

C'mon Death, where's your sense of humor? Or, is this an example of the afore mentioned "waving your big penis around (overcompensation perhaps)?"

Way to focus on the color commentary and miss the "core" of my question.

Again: Would you care to explain that porch comment?

I'm sorry, being brazillian I completely missed the offensiveness of the "porch" comment... I gather it is quite bad, but could some kind soul explain why? I'm interested in liguistics and idioms and stuff.

This kinda reminds me of what would happen if a behemoth and an epee squared off. Except the epee had no weapons. Or shields. Or brain.

Death said:
Way to focus on the color commentary and miss the "core" of my question.

Again: Would you care to explain that porch comment?

Actually Death, what you wrote, or better yet, the implication in what you wrote really disturbed me, and not in some silly, superficial way either. It took me a while to figure out that the race/ethnicity/religion/national origin/take-your-pick card was being played in a rather shallow attempt to turn what I wrote into something having a bigoted, racist, xenophobic, or some other equally nasty meaning. There isn’t anything even remotely funny about that, and it in no way reflects what I intended.

Before you muster the PC shock-troops, I’ll explain the meaning of my harmless little phrase. “Get back on the porch” was what a good friend of mine used to say to his 3 year old daughter when she would wander off in search of trouble while we were shooting hoops, throwing the football around, or doing something out in his yard- other than paying attention to her. He had to say it to her so often that it became sort of a catch phrase between us and our mutual friends, kind of along the lines of “whatever,” “you’re a trip,” “that was cool,” and other responses said aimlessly under all too common circumstances. Period.

Your initial, profanity-laden post seemed so angry that I actually took it to be a joke of sorts, and responded in kind- with what I felt was harmless humor, in obviously a vain attempt to jokingly say “hey man, calm down” or “relax.” But now I’m not so sure: I suppose you really were serious which would make me guilty of the same thing as you: assuming. For that Death, I owe you an explanation as outlined above, and for nothing else.

I can’t decide which is worse, the hypersensitivity some people display over a misunderstood word or phrase, or the fact that they are taught to reflexively think that what I wrote must have another meaning, either overt or covert, and that it is racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, etc. Rest assured that there was no hidden connotation, no dastardly motive, no slight of hand, and no coded message to the John Birch Society. To give credence to such reasoning would be about as fair as saying that, based upon your last few posts, one could accurately conclude that you have an unusual interest in necrophilia and other men’s genitals.

overmortal said:
I agree with LOAF. This is going to be ugly when it ends.

Actually, it has ended as far as I'm concerned. Death wanted an explanation and he got one. I didn't join this forum to get into spitting contests with who guys freak out when you try to have a little fun with them. I see far too much of that all over the Internet, and I don't want to contribute to it any more than is necessary.

I know I'm fairly new to this group, but I've had a great time bouncing around the boards for the past several months, leaving a post or a reply here and there, and learning a lot about the Wing Commander universe along the way. You guys have an amazing product here, you do a first-class job, and I thank you for allowing me to participate. I don't want to risk the privilige you have so generously given me, so rather than throw more gas on the fire I'm calling it quits on this one. I hope you can understand and respect my position.

I admit the "skull-fuck" thing was a bit gratuitous. For that, I apologize.

(Don't get used to me apologizing for stuff, though. :p )

On the other hand, online references to offline in-jokes have a tendancy to not go over too well without some kind of explanation, when one of the parties doesn't have the reference handy.

Death said:
I admit the "skull-fuck" thing was a bit gratuitous. For that, I apologize.

(Don't get used to me apologizing for stuff, though. :p )

On the other hand, online references to offline in-jokes have a tendancy to not go over too well without some kind of explanation, when one of the parties doesn't have the reference handy.

I accept and appreciate your apology Death. And your observation about my inside joke is accurate enough. In the future I’ll be more selective in my choice of syntax. I never intended for it to become an issue and would rather forget the whole thing ever happened.

I do believe that George Whashington's Dream Fighter would surelly be equiped with Paint Missiles and Glue Missiles.

Back