Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops Model Update Pack

I can't remember...it was totally random both times it happened
Ok thanks. Yeah that's unfortunately a known issue. Sometimes you get a random crash like that. Normally if you just restart the game you can proceed. In SO it normally happens in mission 1 cutscene and in mission 3 for some reason. We're working on stability, but we're working around the source code, not with it, so this will happen at times. But if you notice anything else please let us know.

I was looking for a nice and proper Wing Commander game to play, since there really isn't much out there that matches the feeling. I've played 1 and 3, beating them both. I've played a little of 2 and a good portion of 4. Prophecy I never got into, but it always intrigued me. I bought it from GOG for dirt cheap, and saw to my amazement that there were some upgrades that made it work on modern systems and look better doing it! Unfortunately, I can't get it to work the right way. I tried following directions, but must have messed up somehow:

My system: Intel I3 3.7 Ghz, 8 Gig DDR3 1600, Geforce GTX660 2Gig, Windows 10 64-bit

I first installed the game from GOG (this put the main game and expansion in 2 separate folders).
Then I simply placed down the Enhancement Patch (without installing anything or replacing the exe).
I downloaded the HD movies and placed them in a folder called "MOVIE" in the Prophecy game folder.
I then first ran the normal OGL patch, then I discovered this Model Upgrade Patch and put that over it.

The game is 4:3 no matter what I do, and the movies don't work. I tried things like setting the game's exe to normal compat settings (turning off the Win98 stuff and so on). Nothing helps. I tried using the Movie patch dll, same thing. I'm kinda puzzled here. Is it a codec issue?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to messing with Prophecy and I'm not sure of how to get this game running nice and proper. Thank you all!

Hi Tachi! Welcome aboard.

Ok so there's alot to unpack here. First, 4:3 aspect ratio. Currently the game only supports 4:3. 16:9 is on our roadmap but we will have to redraw alot of the in game 2d assets (HUD elements, cursors, fonts, etc.) The bigger challenge is upscaling all the static room images though we might be able to cheat those. Long story short: 16:9 is the most requested feature and we are working on it.

The DVD movie patch should work with the MUP but there is an existing bug that Pedro is working on for our next release. Currently the workaround is:

Also I've found an issue whereby fullscreen mode doesn't work with DVD movies. For now the work around is to run in windowed mode with the resolution set to match your monitors. I'll be patching the GL to address this issue shortly.

Unfortunately I'm not making much progress. Is the DVD patch source code around somewhere? Because it seems to be outputting to a seperate window there are all kinds of issues - really need to find a way to make it hijack the current window.

Unfortunately I'm not making much progress. Is the DVD patch source code around somewhere? Because it seems to be outputting to a seperate window there are all kinds of issues - really need to find a way to make it hijack the current window.

Didn't Hcl do that one? The site is still up in the community tab. I think the source is available but I haven't checked.

Hi Tachi! Welcome aboard.

Ok so there's alot to unpack here. First, 4:3 aspect ratio. Currently the game only supports 4:3. 16:9 is on our roadmap but we will have to redraw alot of the in game 2d assets (HUD elements, cursors, fonts, etc.) The bigger challenge is upscaling all the static room images though we might be able to cheat those. Long story short: 16:9 is the most requested feature and we are working on it.

The DVD movie patch should work with the MUP but there is an existing bug that Pedro is working on for our next release. Currently the workaround is:

Thank you for the quick response, unfortunately it didn't work. I'm wondering what if I have to do here. Maybe it's because I just installed the K-lite codec pack and it messed with the codecs in a bad way before I tried your suggested fix? Do you have a recommended source for a codec pack for my version of windows?

Thank you for the quick response, unfortunately it didn't work. I'm wondering what if I have to do here. Maybe it's because I just installed the K-lite codec pack and it messed with the codecs in a bad way before I tried your suggested fix? Do you have a recommended source for a codec pack for my version of windows?

I did the same thing and now all I get is a black screen when watching the movies.
For now I suggest not using the DVD patch, I'm going to try contacting HCl to see what can be done but he's not active anymore.

I did the same thing and now all I get is a black screen when watching the movies.
For now I suggest not using the DVD patch, I'm going to try contacting HCl to see what can be done but he's not active anymore.

Thank you, I think the game will be plenty fun without the HD movies for now. Still better than what I had with WC3. I'll keep an eye out here for any news concerning the patch.

If you have K-lite installed, try going to your start menu and finding the codec tweak tool in the K-lite folder. At the bottom, choose the "preferred decoders" option. Scroll down until you find Mpeg2 in the left hand menu and experiment with the options. If you have multiple mpeg2 codecs fighting you should also be able to disable some of the options and see if that helps get things running properly

Need some help with the new model upgrade pack and Secret Ops. Worked fine with the previous version, but with the new one installed, if I try to select New Game, it crashes just before the intro starts and gives the following error message;

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Dean\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD443.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\Dean\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD695.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Dean\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD6B5.tmp.mdmp

I have both the original and GOG version, and both give the same error message when trying to start a new game. I installed the latest upgrade over the last one which does work with no problems, if I run the previous upgrade to downgrade it back to the old version, then both versions work again with no issues. Just something with the latest version that SO does not like, yet Prophecy works with no issues. This is also being run on Windows 7, with all the latest updates and a GTX 770 video card with current drivers. Saved games do work as well, its just when starting a new game that it crashes just before the intro movie would start playing.

I have both the original and GOG version, and both give the same error message when trying to start a new game. I installed the latest upgrade over the last one which does work with no problems, if I run the previous upgrade to downgrade it back to the old version, then both versions work again with no issues. Just something with the latest version that SO does not like, yet Prophecy works with no issues. This is also being run on Windows 7, with all the latest updates and a GTX 770 video card with current drivers. Saved games do work as well, its just when starting a new game that it crashes just before the intro movie would start playing.

Can you try:
1) Turning off compatability mode
2) Disabling all options in the OpenGL setup (such as FSAA and enhanced lighting)

Can you try:
1) Turning off compatability mode
2) Disabling all options in the OpenGL setup (such as FSAA and enhanced lighting)

If that doesn't work then this is likely an issue with the unlimited patch. Specifically related to a currently un-implemented enhancement. Grim is aware of it and has a fix in process. It will probably have to be a manual patch in the beginning, but we'll work all these fixes into the next release. Right now the main goal is to get users up and running.

Can I install the MUP in the Prophecy or SO directory to make the new textures available in game? Do I have to do more or something else?

Back