Wing Commander III

Haesslich said:
Is it truly that inconceivable that he'd go around the bend after almost 40 years of war, or at least to become very extreme in his views??

Yes. (Wc4 springs it on us for seemingly pure shock value and then Forstchen back-peddled the idea in two novels following the game.)

BTW, I tried playing WC3 on DOSbox the other day, and it had joystick problems (probably the sames as WCArmada) and wasn't fast enough during close combat. But the videos played great.

The wc4 nazi arguments are hurting my brain.... Tolwyn wasn't going to dissolve the confed government, he just wanted to provoke a war between confed and the borderworlds to promote survival of the fittest etc. It was pretty goddamn obvious that they were using a hitler image to make him look evil. There's no hidden meaning in any part of wc4's story.

Darkmage said:
The wc4 nazi arguments are hurting my brain.... Tolwyn wasn't going to dissolve the confed government, he just wanted to provoke a war between confed and the borderworlds to promote survival of the fittest etc. It was pretty goddamn obvious that they were using a hitler image to make him look evil. There's no hidden meaning in any part of wc4's story.

Erm, he wouldn't dissolve the Confed government because NINETY PERCENT OF ALL CONFED POPULATION WOULD BE DEAD. Did we forget about the crazy nano weapons? he was going to KILL 9 in every 10 people! there wouldn't BE a confederation anymore!

Edfilho said:
Did we forget about the crazy nano weapons? he was going to KILL 9 in every 10 people!

Was the "nine out of ten" ratio for the entire Confederation population or just Telamon?

LeHah said:
Was the "nine out of ten" ratio for the entire Confederation population or just Telamon?

Telamon was a test, so we can assume it would target around 90% of the exposed population. Since it's not a random weapon and they considered it a "success", that percentage is probably what they wanted. Statistical variations due to small population wouldn't alter the overall destructive result.

Delance said:
Telamon was a test, so we can assume it would target around 90% of the exposed population.

Not nessessarily. For all we know, it could've been a predominantly a colony for Prespeterian Monks or Italians or Irish or any other demographic. I don't think we could answer the question I posed since we don't have concrete evidence of the colony's population standings, but all the same...

Delance said:
Statistical variations due to small population wouldn't alter the overall destructive result.

I think the statistics would depend on how the weapon was programmed. After all, it could be made to target any number of genetic traits.

Yeah, we never really knew much other than basic stuff about the weapon. However, that reminds me, What was the bio weapon deployed on Loconda IV by the Kilrathi? Does anyone remember?

-Rance-

The Locanda weapon was never given a name, IIRC, only identified by its lethality and persistence.

As for the Telemon attack, I suspect that GenSelect used on the inner worlds would result in more casualties, as the "weaker" folks aren't found as often out on the frontier. That's just a personal suspicion from someone with only the barest inkling of how such warfare happens (or could happen), and not supported by canon, TTBOMK.

This horrible thread is still going on? The Bearcats have orange Confed stars on them, a clear indication that Wing Commander IV is supposed to be a subtle commentary about the treatment of migrant workers in the sun belt.

Erm, he wouldn't dissolve the Confed government because NINETY PERCENT OF ALL CONFED POPULATION WOULD BE DEAD. Did we forget about the crazy nano weapons? he was going to KILL 9 in every 10 people! there wouldn't BE a confederation anymore!

Note that Seether's 'war orders' were to attack *FIVE* planets, not the entire population. This works out to under .3% of the population, assuming that every star system has a single planet (which isn't true, so it's actually a much lower number).

The existence of a nuclear bomb capable of wiping out entire cities is not a certain intent to wipe out all cities with nuclear bombs.

Yeah, we never really knew much other than basic stuff about the weapon. However, that reminds me, What was the bio weapon deployed on Loconda IV by the Kilrathi? Does anyone remember?

The Kilrathi refer to the pandemic-laden weapons as "Vrag'chath Missiles".

The GenSelect didn't kill anyone based on strength, it was just like its name implies, genes. So it didn't matter if you lived on the frontier or the core, it targeted specific genes only. You could be the strongest, fastest person in the universes, but if your genes didn't match the GenSelect's pre-programmed "OK" DNA, it would kill you.

The GenSelect device was a tool to further Tolwyns agenda and ideological aims, that being the removal of the segments of humanity he considered 'detritous' the the long term survival of humankind, it was also an effective terror weapon and would have had the added bonus of kicking off a war frenzy within Confed in the aftermath of the initial wave of Seedings.

And from the PoF novel it seemed to me that Tolwyn was preparing to use the GenSelect on a very wide scale, this is shown when he says to Seether 'Seed the first five confed worlds on the list' (not a direct quote). So from that I think we can be pretty sure that Tolwyn was planning on 'testing' the majority of humanity, genocide is not an activity you can do in a half-arsed fashion.

This horrible thread is still going on? The Bearcats have orange Confed stars on them, a clear indication that Wing Commander IV is supposed to be a subtle commentary about the treatment of migrant workers in the sun belt

Shockeroni! people are *actually* trying the delve into the deeper meanings of the WING Commander series of Videogames, Movies, Novels and Cartoons. What do you expect? The WC universe has good characters, good stories, some good twists in the plots and for the most part is a lot more worthy of attention than some other crap I've seen floating around cyberspace

P.S. the orange stars on the Bearcats are obviously a commentary on Sectarianism and Northern Ireland you dope :D

Sarty said:
The GenSelect didn't kill anyone based on strength, it was just like its name implies, genes. So it didn't matter if you lived on the frontier or the core, it targeted specific genes only. You could be the strongest, fastest person in the universes, but if your genes didn't match the GenSelect's pre-programmed "OK" DNA, it would kill you.

Yeah, didn't you listen to the doctor?

:rolleyes: My post was a response to Death's comment on the "weaker" folks not being found in the frontier very often. I was quite simply pointing out that "weaker" or "stronger" had nothing to do with GenSelect. I wasn't posting just to indulge myself, unlike some people.

I was referring to Tolwyn's views about strength, hence quote marks around the word. Excuse me for not wanting to spell out every single nit-picky detail every post. :p

Bandit LOAF said:
The Bearcats have orange Confed stars on them, a clear indication that Wing Commander IV is supposed to be a subtle commentary about the treatment of migrant workers in the sun belt.

You forgot to mention the obvious slander on the American Market with the very name "Bearcat" - but we already went through that.

Back