Wing Commander affected our lives

the entire beauty of wing commander, was that it wasnt just another space game, it had good music but the main benefit was the storyline, nothing else is quite so immersive

That's also why I liked..even P.
Another example: Dune. At the moment three parts can be seen at German TV...it's wonderful, even if you see very well, that it is pappmache (background). Good story, good actors, but really cheap-made...I also like it. My parents (my father also likes SF) were totally disappointed after the 1st part and watched other things while the two other parts were shown...I watch them...I want to be inspired for my HP...(I really think about it now...concrete. After the network goes...I've Internet on my PC and many things work easilier...I want to create a totally new universe.:) I've some good ideas now...I will begin soon in the next days. First I have to think about picture-working ( I never made it before, but seems now that I should). That's what I darely like...:( But it must be.

Yeah, I am watching the 3rd part at the moment. The desert settings are all quite horrible but the worm, the battles and the other settings don't look bad.

Re: WC Music brings affect too

Originally posted by TheFraix

Here's a little side question: What do you think about Ultima Online? Pls give any free answers, do not give answers to make me happy... just give me honest ones.

I don't like it. NOT because it's preventing us from getting a new WC game or anything like thay. I don't like it because I don't like any MMO game. In fact, i'd be downright dissapointed if the next WC game were to be Priv On-line.

Games need atmosphere to be successful. That's why I like WC. MMO's have NO atmopshere at all. Nobody is in charecter ever and stupid people ruin them. They'll come at you with stuff like "I's gotz da b3st weapz you!" or "Hey, why u shot me?" It REALLY makes me angry. So until stupid people are irradicated from the face of the Earth, I won't like MMO's.

No atmosphere? You've... never played UO, have you? For every one jerk who gets a lot of press, there's a thousand serious roleplayers dedicated to making the game seem like a tiny little world... (and, to be fair, real worlds have stupid people in them, too).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
(and, to be fair, real worlds have stupid people in them, too).
But not in the proportions you describe for Ultima, LOAF... ;)
Way, way more, sadly... :(

I think you just have to allow different people to have their own gaming areas. Some people think games are just for amusement and balk at the idea of doing anything other than giving themselves a good time. Others (like me) tend to take atmosphere and realism very seriously and would always try to act in an appropriate manner, even if it's inconvenient. So rather than eradicating people who screw up the atmosphere (tempting as it can be), I would settle for "arcade" servers and "RPG" servers so folks can choose what type of game they want.

Of course, you'd always see the occasional jerk who will deliberately mess the game up...just like the team killers in Half Life...but I secretly believe that WC fans are a cut above that ;-)

I think, also, long-running games like Ultima Online are in a stupid people decline... stupid people get bored with things very, very quickly.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
No atmosphere? You've... never played UO, have you?

Yeah I have. Breifly. I tend to not like fantasy RPG's anyway, but that's not important. It was just those couple people who really ruined it for me. Deathmatches and such are ok, and i'd defiantly like the next WC game to have multiplayer support....but I don't want that to be the whole game...

I don't think I'd want the next WC to be an MMP game, either... the fan base isn't the same as that which plays UO, we're generally *not* as interested in creating fictional lifes and living them in the proper RPG style.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Yeah, I am watching the 3rd part at the moment. The desert settings are all quite horrible but the worm, the battles and the other settings don't look bad.
You wanna see a good desert set? Go see Lawrence of Arabia - you can't beat real deserts for realism :D. But of course filming in the real desert is a major pain. Hot, windy... and of course, having to rake the sand (gotta get rid of those footprints) before every single take... ;)

What the next WC should be like...

How about this...

the next WC game should be like what it was originally intended: Newer alien race which aren't only evil, but also influenced the whole fabric of humankind and Kilrathi of what sentience can really lead to.

What happen if that alien race(s) were once peace loving, but somehow slipped into murder and mass destruction... throughout galaxies and the like.

For that, the Kilrathi and Humans will play a pivotal role in undoing the alien's spread of destruction.

Wouldn't that be something?

Interesting...my capacity-hard disc is getting filled with ideas. Something in that way I also intended for my HP...under other things. I am always thankful for new ideas...
But yes we were talking about Dune the film special edition in 3 parts...do you know? I heard a lot about it, but never saw before.

Yep, Lawrence of Arabia has indeed a very good desert. :)

mpanty: Yes, we are talking about the three TV-movies, not the "David Lynch masterpiece..." :)

Alright people...

I'm thinking about closing this thread within a week or so from now.

Anybody want to add anything related to this topic?

Like telling me in what ways have WC affected your life?

-TheFraix-

I got to know some people better. Now. It shows being 'friends' does not be confined to the CIC. And it shows you don't see the real character of somebody here. If you meet him somewhere else, you see very different. It's funny.:)
That was it from my side.

Back