When and how.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confed is suposed to have the whole 10 ship Midway fleet ready in 5 years... As far as carriers go, that's some extremly quick ship building.

EW, We don;t know how many they are building at once, they could be building all 10 of them at once but at different stages of production.

Yes, 8 in Five years, I did not remenber the time it would take, I must find my WC P manual.
And Those Vesuvius are also a bit fast, tolwyn got almost two in two years. not bad.

Originally posted by Napoleon
We don;t know how many they are building at once, they could be building all 10 of them at once but at different stages of production.
I can assure you, than not too many are being built at once... The drydocks would be to expensive, and it would require too much personel.

Dragon where did you get 2 years from? it was 4 years after WC3 so that leaves 4 years to get them built and as far as we know they were in production during the war

2 years that he spend working on the L<something> Navy, Tolwyn was ship out of ConFed after the war but in a novel he fight a Kilrathi insugent, after that he got back to ConFed.
I read it on some site about the story.

Gotcha Dragon I understand now, if those are the only ships that are being produced (assumption but no more war...) then the production speed could be increased.

Landreich... He helped the local navy restore the Karga and fight off a Kilrathi warlord. And all of that ended in 2671.05 something while WC4 takes place around 2673.219

Originally posted by Earthworm
Confed is suposed to have the whole 10 ship Midway fleet ready in 5 years... As far as carriers go, that's some extremly quick ship building.

maybe for a nation such as the US, with a small population and industrial sector compared to the Confederation is supposed to have.

If ConFed spanned 1000 star systems or even 100, with as much as a few trillion people, surely shouldn't carriers be turned out every week somewhere in the confederation?

This is what doesn't make sense. The ONLY reason the Earth has so many people all ready is because of the way societies in the third world view childbearing. In the third world it is very likely to see families of 4 children and upwards.

However in the first world, families generally only consist of between 1 and 3. Some first world nations population growth is tending towards zero. Now tell me, in the 26th century, it is MOST likely we will be of the first world. Even other planets. Thats why I think ConFed's reaching trillions of people is just a statement given without proper thought.

Compare it to the cats, right before it blew up, Kilrah had like 5 ship yards in orbit, and thats not saying that there were only 5 ships under construction at a time. And COnfed before the battle of earth and after the war with reconstruction had a much better industrial base than the kilrathi.

At its peak in WWII the US was able to spit out transport ships in 5 days from scratch in one ship bay/place where a ship sits while its constructed.

Exactly, so if the Confederation has suffered 3 trillion casualties, therefore their population must be something like 6 or 9 trillion. That means a HUGE industrial base. There should be literally thousands of Vesuvii and Midways around.

Either that, or ConFed is actually quite small. Perhaps ConFed only lost 3 Billion casualties. Its a more reasonable amount (even though its already half our present population). Scary huh?

If you want to be pedantic about it, the old British trillion is a million times as great as the American trillion. Just though I'd chuck that one at ya. I think its 10^15 instead of 10^9.

We have to take into account that not every planet in Confed is going to have a population as large as Earth's. Maybe the oldest would come close but many I would be surprised if they reached the million mark.

Why wouldn't Confed be divided between first and third world? If Confed treated its colonies and the core worlds on an equal basis, then there would have been no Wing Commander 4. Therefore, there certainly is a third world, and its name is Border Worlds (and Landreich, and indeed most of Confed).
As for churning out capships, while I agree that the figures Forstchen gave us are far too low, they are, unfortunately, canon. I suppose, however, that if you consider that most of Confed's industrial base was indeed destroyed during the campaign leading up to the Battle of Terra, you'll understand why we're not knee-deep in Vesuvii.

Just as vagabond said:

"When ConFed needs a place for toxins or prisoners, the Border Worlds is the place."

By the time the 27th century arrives, famine and many diseases should have been eradicated. Its the way technology progresses. All you have to do is see how it has for us in the western world. A few hundred years ago, even the west was not safe from famine. Now it is. Soon, the third world wil also be free from famine due to technological development. New farming ideas, etc. Once a protected supply of food is found, development into the first world should occur quite fast. As a result, after Earth's population peaks, it should drop back down below 6 Billion as the result of changing familial patterns. As has happened in the west.

Of course this is discounting any major wars or disaster.

Also, why we should be knee deep in Vesuvii (or some other class of carrier). When the Kilrathi made for Earth, they wouldn't have stopped at each system destroying everything in their path. They went for the blitzkrieg style. They would reach Earth and knock it out so the command of the TC is knocked out. Therefore, other worlds would fall easier. It would give the Humans less time to muster their forces and retaliate.

Due to this, many major industrial centres, especially on the untouched far reaches of the TC, should still be operational and churning out carriers every day! Even if half of the industrial base is destroyed, thousands of ships should still be produced!

As with canon, there reaches a point where even 'canon' descriptions, such as Forstchen's, have to give way to the laws of physics and economics. These are the most canonical laws of them all!

Wow, you're one of those crazy people that think human nature will change. There's no way in hell everyone everywhere will ever be well fed. The people in control grab for power and money, they have to take it from someone. There will always be some people starving and dying. It's possible there could be huge planetary famines. In the current first world we are NOT safe from famine, we just assume we control nature through technology. It's still quite possible to suffer large food shortages.

TC

Only if there are massive shifts in climate which affect at least 3 of the continents that contain western nations.

The only thing that could possibly do that is a 'nuclear winter' caused by either a) a nuclear war or b) an asteroid collision.

I didn't say human nature had to change. However, once the world becomes wealthier, smaller goods to manufacture become cheaper! Thus it is EASIER to feed more people.

Why don't you just sit back and think for a while before you reply huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back