When and How you heard or saw something about WC for the first time?

I didn't get into playing text basef games until later on (after WC1) Besides Solitaire, I think WC was the first real PC game I ever played. (except those stupid apple games in school at the age of 6)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Hehe, I played text-based games even earlier in my life... on an Apple ][ back in the 80s.

I had an old Star Wars text game on my old Commodore 128...

Originally posted by Skyfire
Come on, those Apple games had things like Oregon Trail! I'm not quite sure how ANYONE could hate that game! :p

Oregon Trail ownz!! Computer class in elementary school was primarily for playing LOGO, Gertrude's Secrets and the incredible Oregon Trail.

My favorite part was writing on the headstones for dead family/party members :D

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Hehe, I played text-based games even earlier in my life... on an Apple ][ back in the 80s.

LOAF: Since you're adding an old mac to your play-every-WC lump of hardware, you should invest in "Quarterstaff: The Tomb of Setmoth" for the mac. It's one of the best games ever: Good visuals with a text-based interface. A true text-adventure masterpiece!

Originally posted by Skyfire
Come on, those Apple games had things like Oregon Trail! I'm not quite sure how ANYONE could hate that game! :p

I loved that game. I still kind of do, but it wasnt purely text based. Lots of it was true, but not what i think about when i think text based.

That and you got to hunt things!

Originally posted by Zor Prime

I loved that game. I still kind of do, but it wasnt purely text based. Lots of it was true, but not what i think about when i think text based.

That and you got to hunt things!

True, it wasn't entirely text-based.

Damn thieves, though....

Ah! The ol' "point-n-click," adventures! :)

I too think that Maniac Mansion was the best one. Next up would be Full Throttle. Day of the Tentacle was all right... mostly because it was a sequal to Maniac Mansion, though.

I never really enjoyed the Indiana Jones ones, though....

heh... it's so cool to microwave the hamster. Just don't give the remains to Ed.

I've always had to use the arrows to move the pointer... never got a mouse to work in that game yet.

What of Commander Keen? It was kind of fun playing the game for the first time when my friend put in all the cheat codes he could for me.

Moneky Island was Very KEEN... Get it *hyuck*!?

Originally posted by mpanty
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the best adventure game ever yet? The Monkey Island series... :cool:

OH NO :eek:

How could I have forgotten Monkey Island!? Those games were the bestest! Best use of humor in games too.

Commander Keen was neat. The one that boasted graphics "JUST LIKE NINTENDO OMG!!" was the best one. Heh heh, the parts on his ship were goofy :D

Originally posted by Saturnyne
What of Commander Keen? It was kind of fun playing the game for the first time when my friend put in all the cheat codes he could for me.
Eheh... I thought we were talking about adventure games, but naturally, as Dom would put it, Commander Keen r0x0r! :p
Speaking of old games, does anyone remember Sokoban? Prince of Persia?... :)
Nibbles? Gorilla? :D

I got Wing Commander 4 for my 13th birthday, or the christmas beforehand, I can't remember which.
The storyline was what grabbed me and I can't imagine another game like WC4.
After a few years, I'd been playing WC4 and I decided to search for Wing Commander on the internet. I came across Origin's site which led me to add www.wcnews.com to my link bar :)
Visiting wcnews.com often eventually led me to #wingnut and there I learned to tolerate the minority-group mentality :p

After following Wing Commander online for some time, I started to want the other games. So through different means, I now have (full legal) WC 3, 4, 5 and Privateer 2.
And the good thing is that I never payed for any of them (WildCat, you deserve a gold star ;)).

Eheh... I thought we were talking about adventure games, but naturally, as Dom would put it, Commander Keen r0x0r! :p
Speaking of old games, does anyone remember Sokoban? Prince of Persia?... :)

Indeed, bow down to Monkey Island, my friend! The original(secret of monkey island), though it did not have speech, is still one of my favorite games of all time. And Zak McKracken? Zak McKracken, come on! Beneath a Steel Sky(that was downright awesome). The DIG(That dude from X-Files, Robert Patrick, does the voice of Boston!), and of course: Sam and Max. Ah yes, indeed, Sam and Max Hit the Road. Of course, there was the legend of kyrandia series; They were good for time-wasting, but they were never the best of the point-and-clicks. Every AGI game I ever played I loved, especially the SQ, KQ, and PQ series(Larry doesn't count, it really wasn't my thing... I was only eight when I started playing these games). Of course, there's Keen; the original, truly great Castle Wolfenstein and Return to Castle Wolfenstein games; Abandoned Places(Amiga); Prince of Persia, one of my first games on a mac(I prefer the mac version, actually); Lemmings, Holiday Lemmings, Oh No! More Lemmings; James Pond I and II(robocod); Agony(amiga); Alien Breed(Amiga), god the list goes on and on!
I also enjoyed Sokoban, in all it's many incarnations. I still enjoy minesweep, for what it's worth. And does any one remember Dragon's Lair? Or hellcab? And of course, the many FMV games(Spycraft, Biohazard, Dracula Unleashed), first-person adventure/puzzle games(Return to Zork, 7th Guest), Myst and all it's various rip-offs(Frankenstein; Through the Eyes of the Monster). Ahh... The memories.

My first computer was a Commodore 64 in which I played dozens of cool, unforgettable games. And that computer was Microsoft-free! Did anybody have one of those? I bet we could make a WC Mod for one of the old C64 games! :D

About the best old (not WC) PC games, I´d rank as the best Monkey Island 1, Prince of Persia 1, X-wing, Stunts :cool: , Wolfenstein series, SimCity 1 and Civilization 1.

(...)Speaking of old games, does anyone remember Sokoban? Prince of Persia?... :)

I do (except Sokoban, though I definately remember the name!) but I only played Prince of Persia 1 and 2, never that 3D-Prince.

Same with Monkey Island, only played 1&2. I am thinking about buying 3&4, any experience with them?

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Same with Monkey Island, only played 1&2. I am thinking about buying 3&4, any experience with them?

I´ve played them briefly at a friends house. They are ok (specially MI 4), but they´ve lost that old magic - like those cursing Monkey 1 swordfights! :D

Back