What were the worst injustices in the Wing Commander Movie?

The movie Dralthi, in my opinion, were awesome! Just because the ships didn't have the traditional Wing Commander aesthetic, doesn't mean they sucked. Although I did find myself liking the Kilrathi ships more than the Confed ships.

That's not what I meant with the dralthi, their design is fine with me. I meant that they weren't very well done cgi wise... they looked quite cartoony.

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
... they looked quite cartoony.

In my personal opinion, I think a majority of CG has a degree of cartooniness to it. That is why I prefer scale models. Watch Star Trek III. Best special fx ever.

I thought the biggest injustice was haveing Freddy Prinze Jr. as Blair, that makes anyone who saw the movie first think Blair is a...loser

You're right, scale models are great. Like, remember Titanic? They virtually rebuilt the Titanic to sink in the film. For me, I prefer thinks to be made real as much as possible. Like, say, Instead of using a model of Naval ships and planes, use the real thing, firing real missile and guns. (Not at each other of course, but for things like a missile being launched from a fighter). Some CG is a little childish, but it's getting a lot better. Check out Resident Evil.

http://new-blood.com/re4/screens/
http://www.residentevilfan.com/gallery/category.asp?ci=6&st=1

It wasn't the CG that pissed me off it was the mistake in the character presentation. For instance Paladin is supposed to be Scottish. Well right before he kills the Kilrathi battleship he speaks a line of french!!! And that guy with the scar was he supposed to be Iceman?

and Angel isn't from Belgium, where the hell did rosie come from, etc, etc, etc. BTW no idea about who the scar guy is.

By the which character in the movie do you think was close to his/her character in the game. I (honestly) think it was maniac. Although his hair was too blond i didn't catch too many differences. oh ya and Rosie, i looked it up and according to a site i saw Forbes name was Rose "Sassy" Forbes, so i figure she was mentioned in one of the games somewhere...

i got all the PC games (except academy and armada) and i ain't never heard of Rosie till the movie. as for which character was closest to the game character, i would have to say Tolwyn. Blair wasn't as by the book as he was in the games, Maniac was too friendly to Blair, Angel was trying too hard to be FMJ (sorry for taking your line Phillip), Paladin wasn't scottish, and the list goes on and on.

your right, but its really hard to pick out mistakes, because he was only in the movie for like 10 min max. Oh and i am a newbie to the games (more than the books) and from the movie i got the impression that Tolwyn never smiles, is that true?

ships in WC movie

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
That's not what I meant with the dralthi, their design is fine with me. I meant that they weren't very well done cgi wise... they looked quite cartoony.

That's the point I've been making about the effects. The cgi wasn't convincing. They should have used models in concert with the cgi to give the ships a more realistic look. That's what makes Star Wars, Starship Trooper et al more convincing cinematic experiences. They don't just rely on cgi, they mix it with traditional visual effects techniques for optimal believability.

Originally posted by Aries
Angel was trying too hard to be FMJ (sorry for taking your line Phillip),

No, people can use that line as much as they want, as it's, I feel, an apt description.

Anyway, comparing the characters in the movie to the games. Well...

Blair: Maybe a little like WC2 Blair, but from the beginning he carried himself life a pro. In the movie he really seemed like an FNG.
Maniac: In the game he was simply a bug eyed crazy pilot. In the movie he was cocky and daring.
Angel: They obviously based her after SWC in looks. Personnality, well, it was a little like her WC2 role as Colonal Devereaux and being bitchy over Bossman's death, but in the movie, I refer to her as Commander Devereaux, not Angel, for their vastly diffirent personnalities.
Hunter: I think they found a good actor for him. He had the right looks I feel, the fact he was Australian wasn't lost, and he had a similar personnality, albeit decidedly less friendly.
Rosie: Only saw her in the movie. Might have meant to be Spirit in some ways.
Spirit: Unless she was the Japanese girl who made a cameo role at one point in the movie, she's not here.
Knight: I think I remember him. If I remember right, he was portrayed alright.
Paladin: Well, at least he's better than in SWC. He looks and acts nothing like in the game, but I can live with the explanation that he's a Colonal in Covert Ops.
Iceman: Not in the movie that I can remember.
Bossman: Was only talked about in the movie.
Tolwyn: He seems...bigger than Tolwyn in the game. Might be just me. Looks to be based on how he is in WC2 and Fleet Action\End Run novels.

Originally posted by Aries
...Blair wasn't as by the book as he was in the games, Maniac was too friendly to Blair, Angel was trying too hard to be FMJ (sorry for taking your line Phillip), Paladin wasn't scottish, and the list goes on and on.

I think the reason Maniac and Blair were so friendly in the movie and the reason Blair was so young was an attempt to blend a lot of WC storylines together. I got the impression that the relationship between Blair and Maniac was based on that between....[Oh, crap I haven't played WCP in so long, I forgot the names. How embarrassing.] "Frosty" and his buddy, the two stars of WCP. Maniac and Blair started the movie the same way the Iceman's son and his pal opened Prophecy.

Originally posted by DarkeningAddict
was an attempt to blend a lot of WC storylines together.

i look at the whole movie that way.

and it is Casey as "Frosty" and Maestro

Originally posted by WildWeasel
You're joking, right?

I know he was in the game and all that. But I can only remember him being talked about in the movie, not actually appearing. For the record, Bossman was a straight shooter and was a good pilot and wingmate. I liked him.

no, he never appeared in the movie. and hell yeah, bossman was cool. one of the best wingmen i ever had.

Wow, do we need this Bossman debate again?

Let me ask you then. Mr. Knight's ship blow up. Does that means that the "Knight" from WC dies, or does he ejects? Or, perhaps, theres'a "Mr. Knight" with some other AKA out there? Who cares? :D

Back