what was the coolest way you've died?

You can start out very inexpensivly. The best way to get into RC flying is to buy a pre-built kit that has all the equipment you need, such as the radio control, enough servos for the flight control surfaces, which will be already placed in the model. I would recommend getting an electric type first. The gas or "cox" engine types are very hard to get a handle on if your flying for the first time. I would also recommend finding someone who has experience, and have them with you when you take your plane out for its maiden flight. Let them do the take offs and landings for the first few times, and once its airborne, take the controls and let him train you with handling the plane in the air, then let him land it. Watch how he gently moves the controls to steer the aircraft, just like in a real aircraft, it takes only suttle movements on the stick to turn or climb or dive. Taking off isnt really that big of a deal. Landing however, isnt so easy!

You can get into RC flying for around 250 US dollars. If you want to jump right into actually building your craft either from kit form or from scratch, the cost would depend on what you are building. Some RC planes have up to 6 servos for functions other than flight control, some have less than that, while others built from scratch are so elaborate they have every function of a real aircraft, from retractable landing gear to full blown mini CCD cameras in the cockpit and exteranl views. Some even have them tied into their computer systems and use the PC's joystick for flight control by attaching the radio controller to an unused comm port, and load up the controller software.

It all just depends on how far you want to start out with. Like I said, I would start out with simple flyable models first to get the feel of how the plane will react to the controls, then work your way up to more complicated aircraft, maybe a twin engine craft, or even a model of a huge jumbo 747 jet!! I have a fellow RC pilot here who has one of those jumbo 747s! The wingspan on that puppy is about 12 feet! It even has little emergency ramps that fill with air and shoot out the doorways! Complete with 8 wheel landing gear under the belly! I think he paid well over 4,000 bucks for that kit!

Hope this provides some insight on RC flying for ya. Find a local RC club, they usually have an area fully equiped with runways and people to help you get started!!

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
I have a fellow RC pilot here who has one of those jumbo 747s! The wingspan on that puppy is about 12 feet! It even has little emergency ramps that fill with air and shoot out the doorways! Complete with 8 wheel landing gear under the belly! I think he paid well over 4,000 bucks for that kit!
RFB

Cool! I have read about such scale models, and my dream would be to rebuild an F4 phantom with included Paintball gun, selfmade afterburner, rockets, flaps, hook, retracrable gear, ducted fan engine and ejection seat, but that is and will always remain a dream...

As it takes years to get enough experience for this, I think I'll stick to a cheap starter set. However I don't like electrical flying. Isn't it that the batteries are empty after 3minutes?

I have read in an modelplane magazine that someone had a huge scale model and suddenly encountered an control failure... Not even the engines remained in usable condition... Did this ever happen to you, and is that likely to happen?

The electric type aircraft are alot better now, since the battery packs now use lythium type batteries instead of the old NiCad type. They are much lighter in weight and can hold a charge much longer, hence the phantom "3 min" flight time increases to well over 20 minutes. A typical gas or "cox" engine craft would fly for about that same amount of time, giving the size of the model and its fuel capacity.

I started in RC stuff well over 20 years ago during RC's infancy with gas powered cars and boats. I didnt get into the planes until about 5 years later when my cousin let me take the controls of his F-16 RC model. Boy was that thing fun to fly! Of course, he landed it! But that was the bug that bit me to get into the airplanes.

There is an F-4 Phantom RC model you can purchase. I would start out with a simple single engine aircraft much like a cessna. Get one with easy flight controls, alierons and elevator control. You dont want to get a model with full blown control surfaces like flaps, elevator trims, airbrake cones etc. That would simply be too many controls to undertake if your just getting into RC flying. I started with a model of a cessna that had 3 main controls for the flight control surfaces. It had alierons, elevator and rudder. The 4th control was for motor rpm's. It was full electric and the flight times was well over 3 minutes! It usually lasted about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the condition of the battery. Dont worry if your flying and the battery runs out, cause those starter planes are also very effective gliders and you can glide one in if the battery runs out. Get one with a top mounted wing. Its alot easier to develop level flight training than a plane with the wing on the bottom of the fuselage. As you gain more experience, you can move on up to more control surfaces, more powerfull engines and bigger models themselves. I have to warn you, if you fly that F-4, they dont glide very well when you run out of fuel!! And they use up alot of fuel!

The worst accident I have seen in this hobby was an RC airplane actually crashing into a crowd of people observing the RC model airshow. Fortunately there was a canopy over the folks to provide shade, but the propeller cut right thru the canopy and 3 people got seriously cut up by that propeller. One model was so large in size, when it came down, it cut right thru a 4 inch thick brush trunk! Cut that brush down like a lawnmower! Yes those things are powerfull enough to take off a few fingers and possibly an entire arm if your not carefull!! Please use extreme caution when your around one of those large models with the engine running. They are just as dangerous as a real aircraft propeller. But dont let that discourage you! RC flying is alot of fun and with the right people around to assist you in learning the ropes, you too will soar into the wild blue yonder!! :)

RFB

20 minutes on a rechargeable battery? Not bad. Of course I wouldn't start on a Swept Wing design like the f4, it is just what I dreamt of (with 100% correct Vietnam colours, correct letters and so on)

I have heard about the death of a father with his son when they got hit by their own aircraft. Well of course it is dangerous, but I'd think that if you have the appropriate safety measures (not flying over people etc) it shouldn't be a problem, right?
Driving a car or a bike is not risk free, either.

What about the transmitter? Is a cheap 4-channel model better or should it be more expensive?

A majority of the radios today are digial and transmit in the frequency range 850Mhz to 925Mhz. They have excellent range and extremely accurate controls. They usually run anywhere from 150 bucks out to well over 400! The older ones were analogue and transmitted in the lower frequency bands, usually around 23Mhz or somewhere near 40Mhz. Those always had interference problems, which usually was the cause of crashes and misshaps. Even someone using an arc welder 2 miles away would cause interference, or some enthusiastic CB'er running a 500 watt linear amp (which is illegal) or some ham operator with his sideband transmissions. When the digital, higher frequency units came out, all those problems are now a thing of the past. Although sometimes, you might get some TV news truck drive by with their microwave link transmitter on and might cause some interference!

The RC airfields will use a color flag system to identify the different frequency channels people are using on their RC control radios, that way there is no chance of two control radios using the same frequency. It would be disasterous if someone is flying, and along comes someone using the same frequency and fire up their radio, and the other guy looses all control of his airplane and the next thing you see and hear is the operator screaming and the plane taking a nose dive right into the ground! Not a pretty sight!! I hope you find the hobby enjoyable as I have over the last 20 years. Sometimes it can get a bit expensive if you end up crashing a freshly built plane, but its all a learning experience. Have someone nearby to help you out if you get into trouble on a landing or to help you with building the model. Theres nothing like building it yourself from scratch, then take it out and watch it leave the ground! With my Centurion I am about to start building, that excitement will be like my first time getting an RC plane off the ground! I cant wait till it is ready for its test flights!

RFB

Back