what was the coolest way you've died?

Ladiesman^

Spaceman
Kind of a morbid question....but I thought i'd post it because my coolest death in WC. It was WC3, I forget what mission it was but it was a scramble. We were under attack and a number of fighters were already out there. I did the auto-launch thing only to see one of our hellcats come soaring over me, and heading through the Victory's flight deck. Right behind him was a clumsy Dralthi and instead of soaring OVER me, he soared INTO me. I took loads of damage, only to die shortly after from a few hits. I was dammned pissed off...but it was pretty cool so I allowed it.

I never die! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Ahem...

Well, and this may be a little different than what you had in mind with your question, but my coolest death was on purpose at the space station where Blair's abducted in Prophecy. That's just a neat cutscene afterward, with the station blowing up on the Midway briefing room's screen.

You mean when this Stingray cluster destroys it? Boy, I had to replay this mission hundreds of times, until I saw it. the bu´gs always missed with their torpedo...

Hmm... not really on-topic, but I thought it was pretty neat the time I got Cobra killed. I was inside the Blackmane base with Cobra next to me, outside somewhere. I told her to form on my wing. She took the shortest route to my position, and died trying. <G>

On another occasion I was doing some fly by's of the Lexington with Catscratch as my wingman. He was in the middle of a sentence when he flew straight into the bridge.

My "coolest" way I got fried was when I attempted a manual landing onto the Intrepid, everything was going smooth, then all of a sudden, the jstick lost calibration, and off I went right into the floor! My ship was a bit chewed up prior to landing but I completed the mission! I now have a finger over the A so that if something is about to go amuck, that A key is ready to save me!

RFB

I did an auto take off. But I must have tapped the js before I hit A because as soon as it cut to the outside view.......a tumbling it went. Hellcat pinball it was. Off one wall to the other wall.....back and forth until finally I got to the shield, and then I bounced off the wall one more time, and when thruogh the other wall where then it returned me to my cockpit and then proceeded to explode.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Kind of a morbid question....but I thought i'd post it because my coolest death in WC. It was WC3, I forget what mission it was but it was a scramble. We were under attack and a number of fighters were already out there. I did the auto-launch thing only to see one of our hellcats come soaring over me, and heading through the Victory's flight deck. Right behind him was a clumsy Dralthi and instead of soaring OVER me, he soared INTO me. I took loads of damage, only to die shortly after from a few hits. I was dammned pissed off...but it was pretty cool so I allowed it.
Well this was not funny, rather annoying, but the coolest death I remember was pressing the TAB button when trying to land on the CLAW... Bad Idea

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Never mind Sonntag. I am sure that happened to most of us. (At least it happened to me) :)
Well at least that was realitic. I HATED that you could fly through Capships in WC3, a stupid idea, at least it was fixed in WC 4/P (I liked being able to fly into the Hangar, which might be somewhat realistic, but I hated flying through the walls). Still, I think it is bad that you can Crash into the Midway flying 1200kps and surviving this. No matter how strong the shields of your own craft are, you wouldn't survive this.

I remember dying while fighting one-on-one against Kur. I was on his tail, I fire a DF, and suddenly boom! Kur disappears from my view, my shields are gone, and two seconds later the furball guns me down. I still haven't figured out how that happened. I suspect that his rear turret must have shot down the DF, damaging both our shields and sending both of us into a spin, with him ending up on my flank while I was still wondering what the hell happened. But that's just a theory... I'll never know.

Originally posted by Dralthi5
That's just a neat cutscene afterward, with the station blowing up on the Midway briefing room's screen.
There's a cutscene for that? Whoa, I've gotta play WCP again.

I also afterburned my Epee into the Concordia after a patrol. Oops.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I also afterburned my Epee into the Concordia after a patrol. Oops.
I... uh... missed the Lexington's hangar in my Hellcat :). First thing I do just about every time I take off, is fly several times through the carrier on afterburners. But I often get a bit too creative... you know, try to go into the bay at an odd angle, that sort of thing ;).

I know I've mentioned this one before on another topic, but it's pretty fitting here too. Coolest way I've been flattened was in WC2, chasing after a Kilrathi fighter and ending up between Concordia and a Kilrathi cruiser as they were swapping salvos. I'm not sure which one it was that got me, but it was sure a quick way to end a career...

After running from a patrol of Salthi, and with 75% damage, I realized that I didn't know how to land my Scimm. So I pointed myself at the Tiger's Claw and kept ramming myself into her until I exploded (do I win the award for "stupidest death?")

The mission where the Morningstar is stolen, and you have to give chase. After fighting through heavy Kilrathi opposition at several nav points, my fighter being gradually being shot to pieces around me, I finally got blown up by the laser turrets on the pair of Kilrathi transports. Maybe not the coolest, but definitely the most frustrating.

The coolest: Well, for me, it was single handly holding the Kilrathi attack on Earth in the losing track of WC3 for what seemed like hours and hours. (On the Aces level, not nightmare.) In the end, it was sheer exhaustion and hand cramps that did me in as much as the Kilrathi.

Best, Raptor

[Edited by Raptor on 04-11-2001 at 02:40]

One of the coolest ways I've died is probely in an asteriod field...

The cats are swarming you, you are taking hits all over you... you make the best manouvres... you come out of the battle as a winnen, and then you fly against an sitting asteriod...

Back