What is everyone's favourite fighter

Is 2681 some sort of standard now?

I had a think through, and I actually don't think a Hornet could do that well. It has only two lasers, while the Piranha has an ion cannon and stormfire on top of that, as well as several more missiles.

Isn´t a standard, but to say the year of the last WC game.
I think that the hornet will have better armor and shield than the Pirnaha., 5 missiles (maybe 2 ImRecs and 2 FOF), 1 stormfire and 2 Tachyons.

Guh? Now you're just making up your own arbitrary judgements on what the Hornet might have in the WCP/SO era. A Hornet with two lasers in the Kilrathi War would have two lasers in 2681. A Hornet with hardpoints for only 2 heatseekers and a dumbfire in the Kilrathi War would have something similar in 2681. Upgrades like extra gunpoints and internal missile bays aren't really worthwhile in conversions - if you're going to add so many things, you might as well design a new fighter.

Originally posted by Ghost
Isn´t a standard, but to say the year of the last WC game.
I think that the hornet will have better armor and shield than the Pirnaha., 5 missiles (maybe 2 ImRecs and 2 FOF), 1 stormfire and 2 Tachyons.

It´s a tought,please don´t kill me ! :)
But you can change guns in a ship (maybe not the hardpoints), just look at the Black variants

As Wedge009 said, the Piranha isn't meant to be a light fighter like the Arrow or Hornet. It's a scout, so it's probably comparable to the Ferret. Yes, it is specialized, but then, it's very suitable for the peacetime role it is intended to fulfill. It is fast, very manouvreable, and has more than adequate firepower for its role. Its Ion & Lasers should be good enough for most pirates and smugglers it encounters (although slightly lower firepower, it has twice the shields and three times the armor of a Dralthi), and if pressed, that Stormfire packs a punch. The Piranha has the speed and manouvreability to get on the tail of a Dralthi and chew it to pieces. If it encounters anything more serious than a couple of Dralthi, it just runs home to mamma (or those Panthers that are sitting on the flight deck just waiting for a serious encounter.

Taking on serious enemy like a swarm of Nephilm is NOT what the Piranha was intended to do.

p.s. if I had to 'update' a Hornet, I would imagine it would be similar to a light Tigershark - similar shields and armor (slightly better than the Piranha), similar firepower (2xlaser + 2xmass driver like the Tigershark or 2xlaser + 1xtachyon like the Dralthi) but probably slightly fewer missiles and without the charging mass drivers.

Originally posted by AzraeL

It all depends upon the firepower available to your 'main' guns. I will admit that I rarely (if ever) used the Dragon's Fission Cannon against fighters, simply because (as you said) the other guns were powerful enough to take out a fighter quite quickly.

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. All of my comments regarding the fission cannon were made with referance to the Dragon itself, as that's the only fighter that mounts them. In a Dragon, it makes little sense to fly around holding down a full charge on the fission cannons, as those quad main guns will already have shredded a target in that time. Same applies when talking about the lack of fission guns as a weakness on the Excal/Vampire.

OBest, Raptor

You could look at things in a slightly different way. You could say that the fusion gun is no longer used because no one liked it and it proved to be a pointless weapon. I'm just saying.

I don't think that the Piranha's guns are too weak (after all, 2 Ion and 1 Laser aren't that much weaker than 2 lasers and 2 Mass Drivers) but her weapons draw too much energy from her gun pool. I think with two Lasers and one Ion she would have been a bit better off.
BTW, I made a mistake, according to the WCP guide the Tigershark has an even slightly smaller gun pool than the Piranha (but also recharges a bit faster), it's just that the Tigershark's weapons draw less energy.

I don't think that Piranhas are that bad. Granted, their weapons are a little annoying, but thats what makes it fun. Its a really good dog fighter when fighting other craft.

But it's the kills that count, and the Pirhana just doesn't have the teeth to do that. I always heated being shifted from the Tigershark to the Pirhana for any mission, even with the latter's better dogfighting ability.

Best, Raptor

The great thing about the Piranha is the Stormfire. I've flown the requisite Piranha missions in WCP using nothing but the SF, and gotten through clean, scoring double digit victories. It's a fun way to fly and fight.

FWIW, try the gauntlet in the simulator with the Piranha. Now THAT gets interesting.... ;)

What's FWIW?

Originally posted by Excalibur
You could say that the fusion gun is no longer used because no one liked it and it proved to be a pointless weapon.
As far as we know, the Fusion gun is still available as a civilian grade weapon. The Lance/Dragon mounts Fission cannons. ;)

Back