What is everyone's favourite fighter

ok well we're closed then...we will agree to disagree...except this :

Are you POSITIVE the vampire has 4 tachs. I was playing prophecy the other day, and i only see 2

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Hell, I fried my own missiles dozens of times - it certainly never discouraged ME! :D

That's the spirit! Never give up even if common sense tells you it's stupid to go on. :)

Originally posted by FrostyCOS1
My bad...Vamp has autoslide, dunno what ship i was thinking of, sorry. In any case, see previous post, minus "no autoslide"
It might be neato for you to get acquainted with the button, little fella.

The Dragon is quite good, but it's firepower no match for the Vampire.

Dragon: 274 cm/salvo
Vampire: 364cm/salvo

Beside this: who set in the rumor that the Dragon is also named Lance? Never heard of that in WC4.

Dragon is the *nickname* given by the BW, Lance is sorta the official name given by the Black Lance.

hey raptor you forget the dragon has a cloaking device the vampire doesn't

but my favorite fighter's are:
excaliber
dragon (cloaking device)
vampire (both the strike and black vampire's):)

Why is it really that important to have a cloak here. Vampires dont have them so what there superfighters they can handle 2 dragons. And Bob i think that piranna has a cloak.

I've never had any significant problem fighting cloaking ships. Once you know they're there, you have a pretty good idea where they are going to uncloak (e.g. on your tail) so it simply becomes a matter of waiting and dealing with it when it happens. Cloaking usually takes a few seconds, and you can still shoot them if you can predict which way they turn after cloaking. If I was fighing a Dragon in a Vampire, the fact that it could cloak and I couldn't would not worry me in the slightest.

The only time a cloak would be a serious advantage is in an ambush attack (e.g. the opening movie of WC4). In the WC3 approach to Kilrah, I would cloak before the final autopilot to Kilrah (as you're meant to) select full broadside of missiles, fly up behind Hobbes, uncloak and boom! Only Thrak to deal with. Of course, the game itself denies this advantage to the enemy (hmmm, I'm at an empty nav-point, yet I can't autopilot. I wonder what's up?)

Also, I do not believe that Prophecy era ships are fitted with Cloaks AS STANDARD, with the exception of the recon Excaliburs. On a standard carrier fighter, they are usually a waste of money and weight. That doesn't mean that they cannot be fitted with cloaks if and when necessary. However, the early recon missions against the nephilm were most likely conducted by cloak-equipped excals and were unsuccessful, suggesting that cloaking tech is ineffective against the nephilm.

A very interesting read, and I don't think there are any loose points which I can expand on. However, unfortunately for you Lance/Dragon fans (I believe the novel refers to the fighter as the Lance), the likelihood of them being present in the future seems unlikely:

They were a product of the Black Lance Black Ops division. They were piloted by evil people in the minds of many in the public. Their cloaking ability is completely ineffectual in the WCP/SO era, and, finally, they are heinously expensive. Too bad. :)

(In case you haven't noticed, I'd take the Vampire over the Lance/Dragon. :))

[BTW, I do dislike it when a newbie comes along and says "I think this and these are the reasons: <blah, blah, blah>" and it turns out that many of the points are wrong or invalid. But I suppose we were all newbies once. :)]

Even the likelyhood of the being present in the WC:p era seems pretty slim, given that all except 6-10 of them were confirmed destroyed in WC4.

Best, Raptor

Ah, my mistake. I thought you meant the possibility of the Dragon appearing in any games that are set after WC:p.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Wedge009
They were a product of the Black Lance Black Ops division. They were piloted by evil people in the minds of many in the public. Their cloaking ability is completely ineffectual in the WCP/SO era, and, finally, they are heinously expensive. Too bad. :)

I always find it somewhat amusing when people mention public opinion as a reason why the Dragon (or Lance if you prefer) would not be used. Give it a new name and a new paint job and the public would be none the wiser. Economics and performance are valid reasons for discontinuing a fighter type. Public opinion is not.

Hey, it's just what everyone else seem to say, so I went with the flow. :) But you do accept the latter two points?

Back