What bomber was the most powerful in the WC universe

Crossbow was a pain in the ass... you traded *two* dual turrets off a Broadsword for extra guns up front... and not much else.

Bit of extra speed and maneouverability... which for the Broadsword/Crossbow was a large percentage (320->370 iirc).
And a slightly less bulky cockpit (sif you would play KS with cockpits off :)

Oh, and of course just the novelty of flying a new ship in the game :)

I was most impressed with the Crossbow as a bomber for its time. But since WC3, bombers have ABs and thus greatly enhance their survival rate. Thus I stick with the Devastator too. The Shrike is horrible IMHO and satripping the Devastator of her torps and enhancing her speed would be great.
If fighter-bomber count, I would go with the Vindicator. I really don't know why to use a Avenger when you have a Vindicator...

The devastator was horrible! Maneouverability of a small capship/'sport, only one main gun (plus a stormfire), just made it incredibly useless.

Close to impossible to rid those annoying ships coming up behind you - and afterburners only took it to what, 380kps?

At least the Shrike has an afterburn rate that was >2x max speed.

Personally I think all the Border Worlds ships but the Banshee were absolute crap :)

Gimme a banshee with two torps on it (instead of two of the hardpoints).
Which reminds me - if you choose, in WC4, to get more missiles, how many do you actually get for each ship?

Mmmmm, I still love the Banshee from Armada. Goddamned what a great freakin bomber that was. Fast for it's size, great damned gun armament and a great missile loadout. Too bad they retired her, I'd've loved to have flown her in latter WC games.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Crossbow was a pain in the ass... you traded *two* dual turrets off a Broadsword for extra guns up front... and not much else.
It's true the great thing about the Broadsword were the three turrets it had!!! :cool:

I was terrified at the idea of having to face Pirates in Broadswords during SO2... :)

"Fighter pilots make movies, Bomber pilots make history"
- Flight of the Intruder

Whats to know? The devastator was the last, so it was the best.
What bomber was the most powerful in the XX century? The B-17?

As niftycoolsuperkeen as the B-17 is, I don't really think it can vie for the rank of most *powerful* bomber, when compared to things like the B-2...

Christ, Shooter, did you just make a quote from a John Milius movie outside of "The Lion in Winter" or "Conan the Barbarian"?

Thats a bad, bad thing where I come from.

Originally posted by akashra
The devastator was horrible! Maneouverability of a small capship/'sport, only one main gun (plus a stormfire), just made it incredibly useless.
Hmm, you're only stating personal preference, yes? Because especially her main gun makes her a potent bomber, as she can still destroy cap ships when running out of torps.

Close to impossible to rid those annoying ships coming up behind you
You have your 5 turrets for that...

- and afterburners only took it to what, 380kps?
At least the Shrike has an afterburn rate that was >2x max speed.
The Devastator from WCP had an AB speed of 780 kps with her normal speed being 320kps. Thus her increase of AB speed is larger than that of the Shrike (360 to 820).

Why do I have to spell everything to you guys?
What I was trying to say was that you can't compare the Broadsword to the Devastator and neither the B-17 to the F-117.

And LeHah what quote could I use From Conan? :)

Originally posted by akashra

Gimme a banshee with two torps on it (instead of two of the hardpoints).

Why? You can load up with dumbfires and take down the capships with those. Plus it's alot faster then using torps.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
As niftycoolsuperkeen as the B-17 is, I don't really think it can vie for the rank of most *powerful* bomber, when compared to things like the B-2...

Or the B-52, with that gorgeous red hair

*Rimshot*

GOOOO GHOST !!!

Kinda starts you thinking, there were no bombers circa. WC1 unless you go by the movie version of history in which case they had broadswords back then too. They probably didn't have bombers because phase shields hadn't been developed yet so the need for specific fighters with torpedoes hadn't existed.

God, theres dozens of lines from Conan you could use:

"Conan! What is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
"That is good!"

I'm confused... I don't tend to remember a "crossbow"... a "longbow" yes... but is the "crossbow" from an addon game or somethin'?

I'm pretty sure its a typo, Mav, or just a silly mistake. :)

Back